Author Topic: Prevention of Viral Respiratory Infection; colds, flu, SARS, H5N1, v. pneumonia  (Read 105054 times)

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
  • The best medicine is caring and affection.
    • Eureka Ideas Unlimited, Anthropositor's Posts,   To Obama
In 1984 when I was in my early forties, I had lost the lower lobe of my right lung, due to the Army, an early tobacco addiction, and frequent pneumonia's.  These resulted in bronchaictasis, a distention of the alveoli allowing the stagnation of mucossal secretions. 
This developed fertile ground for infected pockets to develop in my lungs which could ultimately be life-threatening if I kept coming down with my frequent colds, flu and pneumonia's.  Having quit smoking during the space program was very beneficial to my overall health, but my respiratory system (my weakest link) was still on the verge of killing me at any point in time that an opportunistic infection took hold. 

Had I not developed the following prophylaxis, I would very likely have died in the 1980˜s.  Since then, many thousands of people have learned how to do the procedure.  My calculations indicate that a much smaller number, on the order of three to four thousand people do it regularly and consistently, reaping the maximum benefit.  The sad truth is though, that most people will not incorporate even a simple two-minute procedure into their daily hygiene routine.  Even in the SARS crisis of a few years ago and with the potential for an H5N1 (avian Flu) pandemic still threatening, the numbers of people who actually get into the firm habit of doing the procedure regularly, on a daily basis, have not exceeded a third of those taught.  That is sad indeed.  Even the fact that THE PROCEDURE ALSO CUTS ALLERGIC RESPONSES TO AIRBORN ALLERGENS BY HALF has not increased those numbers.  I did not begin teaching large numbers of people outside my circle of family and friends until 1990.  By the mid-nineties, I had heard from a great many allergy-prone individuals, of this serendipitous side-effect.  What a pleasant surprise!

But now, without further preamble, here is what you do:

While in the shower, take a couple of Q-tip style cotton swabs, saturated with  (nothing but) clear warm water.  NO SOAP OR ANY OTHER LOTION ON THE SWABS.  Swab the nasal passages as high as you can comfortably reach.  Do this gently but be thorough.  I rinse the swabs perhaps a half dozen times during this swabbing.  The purpose here is to clean out the great bulk of the detritus.  You are only going up perhaps an inch or an inch and a quarter on each side.  You are not trying to reach the brain-pan with the swabs.  If the swabs won't go that far up, not to worry.  It's going to work anyway.  Now, most of the accumulation of debris and the populations of the indigenous organisms in the nasal passages have been largely eliminated.  This is step 1.

After drying off, lay down on the bed with some fresh cooking oil of your choice and some fresh new swabs.  You can use corn oil or safflower or rapeseed (canola) or olive oil.  If you are allergic to peanut oil, DON'T use peanut oil.  We have been talking about coconut oil.  I had never used it,  assuming wrongly that it had a strong coconut smell.   I was not correct in this assumption, and coconut oil is at the top of the list of approved oils for this procedure now.   But there is good reason not to use other more highly aromatic oils.  There are two separate olfactory apparati working in the nose.  Our ordinary sense of smell, we are all familiar with.  The other sense, which most of us never become consciously aware of, is governed by the vomeronasal organ.  The function of this organ is sensing special aromas, pheremonal in nature.  These scents are delivered to entirely different areas of the brain than the other smells we perceive.  It is important not to interfere with the functions of this organ since it is so closely associated with our instincts, and subtle social behaviors, and we don't want to mess up the various elements involved.  The procedure outlined here does not adversely impact the function of the vomeronasal system.

In any case, you are now laying on your back on the bed, have dipped the swabs in the vegetable oil of your choice, and are now swabbing your nasal passages just as far as you did with the water swabs when you were in the shower.  You are now coating the nasal membrane, which has already been moisturized with the only real moisturizer there is.  Water.  You have now covered this pre-moistened surface with an oil sheen which will help prevent the moisture from being evaporated away by the cold desiccated air in the same way that chap stick prevents your lips from chapping.

Let's look at the nasal membrane with a little flashlight..  Notice how red it is, particularly that portion which is hardest to observe,  the narrow channel  just below the bridge of the nose.  It is even brighter red than the surrounding areas of  nasal membrane.  It is such a bright red because you are seeing the blood through the membrane.  This is where the viruses most often make their illegal entry into your bloodstream.  Notice also the little cilia-like hairs which are so effective as filters of the larger particles in the air we breathe. 

I usually tell people that it is not generally a good idea to snort anything back further in the nasal passage.  This is an exception to that.  Your nose has been pretty thoroughly cleaned.  It is still far from sterile, but the jungle of organisms are mostly gone.  You have now coated the moist membrane and the tiny hairs with the oil, but if the oil gets up a bit further than the swabs have reached, so much the better.

What time of year do respiratory viruses occur?  During colder, more variable weather.  Those times when your lips are likely to chap.  Why do your lips chap?  You are frequently going into cold exterior environments with very dry desiccated air, from moist interior environments.  We do this often during  the fall and winter.  We notice the chapping of our lips because we flex them continuously by talking, and the cracks which develop are very large because of the flexing.  The same thing is happening to the nasal membrane.  The fissures are, by comparison to the lips, microscopic.  Even so, to a virus particle, these membrane fissures are like the Grand Canyon.

VIRUSES CANNOT REPLICATE IF THEY DO NOT FIRST MAKE ENTRY INTO THE BLOODSTREAM, INVADE OUR INDIVIDUAL CELLS, SET UP THE CELLULAR MANUFACTURING APPARATUS WITH THE VIRAL BLUEPRINT AND TURN THE PLACE INTO A VIRAL FACTORY.

OK let's review:
   Step 1.  Cleanse the nasal passages with swabs saturated with clear, fresh water.
   Step 2.  Lay on the bed and swab passages with vegetable oil.  NOT Vaseline,  NOT mineral oil, NOT 10-30 Motor oil, NOT glycerin,
               NOT dimethylpolysiloxane.
               JUST VEGETABLE OIL that you are not allergic to.
   Step 3.  Wipe your nose.  That is to say, remove the excess oil from the eighth inch or so of the vestibular area of the nasal passage  until no more oil is coming out.
   Step 4.  Congratulate yourself for remembering to do it every day.
   Step 5.  If you have health care providers, show them this.  Tell them you are doing it.  Answer any questions they might have or refer them to me for any further clarification that might be required.
   Step 6. Carefully teach others how to do it or let them read this.
   Step 7. There is no step seven.

One final thing.  When to do it.  Do it every day that you are going to be exposed to other people.  Do it before you go out into the world.  Not before you go to bed at night.  For allergic responses, do it before you are going to be exposed to high  concentrations of allergens, like vacuuming the carpets, mowing the weeds or raking the leaves.  The allergic responses will be abated by more than half in severity.  Respiratory viral disease will be virtually eliminated in terms of symptomatically apparent disease.  You are not living in a bubble or scrubbing your hands every 10 minutes or refusing to shake hands like Howard Hughes.  You are just living a much healthier life.  Continue to do the other prudent things like washing your hands, getting proper nutrition and adequate rest.

Please do it for yourselves and let me know how it worked out for you.  And let's talk about SNEEZING, a very interesting phenomenon.
To your health!
Anthropositor

For the short procedure, please go to post #205 of this thread, written for the AH1N1 Pandemic of 2009.
« Last Edit: Sunday November 01, 2009, 12:03:37 AM by anthropositor »
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." Chinese Proverb.

"What all men speak well of, look critically into; what all men condemn examine first before you decide"-- Confucius

Pray to the Gods, for the Gods are not unless you pray to them.--Don Marquis

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
Re: Prevention of Viral Respiratory Infection; colds, flu, SARS, H5N1, v. pneumonia
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday June 13, 2006, 11:36:11 PM »
Forgot to mention I haven't had a cold or flu or pneumonia since 1984.  Judging by my previous history, I have prevented approximately seven bouts of flu, more than sixty colds and an unknown number of pneumonia's, which might have done me in.
« Last Edit: Thursday June 15, 2006, 06:44:47 AM by anthropositor »
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." Chinese Proverb.

"What all men speak well of, look critically into; what all men condemn examine first before you decide"-- Confucius

Offline totalfolly

• Retired Moderator
  • Crazy Cat Hero
  • I yam what I yam
Re: Prevention of Viral Respiratory Infection; colds, flu, SARS, H5N1, v. pneumo
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday June 14, 2006, 12:42:39 AM »
Thank you for sharing this with the members, Anthro!

totalfolly
"If you hear a voice within you say 'You cannot paint'
then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced."
 -- Vincent vanGogh

Offline GMAW

• SkinCell God
Re: Prevention of Viral Respiratory Infection; colds, flu, SARS, H5N1, v. pneumonia
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday June 14, 2006, 02:43:58 AM »
   I have never heard of this and I worked for years in the neonatal icu.  ,  glad to learn this , very interesting and all makes good sense to me   . I have got to find someone with allergies to try this on .(  my best friend, )  will let you know more when I get her to do this. ;)
Life is 10% what you make it and 90%how you take it.

Offline Wooley

• Retired Moderator
    • My Blog
Re: Prevention of Viral Respiratory Infection; colds, flu, SARS, H5N1, v. pneumo
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday June 14, 2006, 09:37:41 AM »
Thanks for sharing Anthro.

:hugs:

Woo

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday June 14, 2006, 01:35:19 PM »
Hi GMAW,
 ===I have never heard of this and I worked for years in the neonatal icu.  ,  glad to learn this , very interesting and all makes good sense to me   . I have got to find someone with allergies to try this on .(  my best friend, )  will let you know more when I get her to do this. ===.

This is not really a suitable procedure for neonates or babies under the age of six months.  And of course, the central reason for employing this practice is the prevention of viral infection.  The reduction of allergic reactions to airborn allergens is just a fortuitous
bonus.

Uh, won't your friend be more inclined to do this if her friend has already done it for herself?

Here is a list of reasons a person should not do this.

1. There is no nose.  (This is an extremely rare congenital condition requiring reconstructive surgery.)
2. The person has never, ever had a cold or the flu and has an overwhelming curiosity about what these diseases are like.
3. The person has a pathological fear of Q-tip style cotton swabs.
4. The person enjoys being ill and won't give it up.

That's all I can think of.  I'll bet none of these reasons apply to you, so why not give it a try?
To your good health.
Anthropositor

Offline Alohamora

• SkinCell God
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday June 14, 2006, 01:54:56 PM »
The thing is, an allergy sufferer could possibly get some instant gratification with this. 

What do you think of the idea of hay fever sufferers doing this 2x a day? Once in the morning as you suggest, and then again after coming indoors after exposure to pollens? 

You are what you eat.

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday June 14, 2006, 06:01:44 PM »
Hi Aloha,
There is certainly no problem with doing this two or several times a day.  At the peak of cold and flu season, this is reccomended.
Doing it before exposure to allergens is much more helpful than doing it after exposure, but it is also true that many people who suffer from airborn allergens outdoors are also allergic to household airborn allergens without being entirely aware of it.  You might do it before vacuuming the carpet or using powdered cleansers or detergents.  Few of us are as careful of these products as we could be or should be. 

Some have reported that their reactions to cat hair, dander and saliva have gone away, but under such conditions, three or four applications a day are more likely to be effective.  I just sold a $50 cross-bred exotic Persian kitten to a lady who had previously been unable to get near cats.  (I am an unbreeder.  I cross overbred pedigreed cats back into strong mongrel lines to eliminate physical defects often brought about by ill-advised selective breeding.)   I told her to bring the kitten back if she has any trouble.  She swabs her nasal passages four or more times a day and rarely requires her medication.  She has had the kitten for more than a month now.  I don't think I will be getting it back. 

But keep in mind, the chief reason to engage in this procedure is to prevent viral infections.
Anthropositor

Offline Bamawing

• Administrator
  • Administrative Bleeper!
  • Token Nutcase :D
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday June 14, 2006, 08:56:38 PM »
I've been doing this, and waiting for Anthro to post so I can talk about it! :nod:

It's hard to remmeber to do every day... at least it was for me. And so yes, I skipped a few days... :hide: and therefore it's no big surprise that I'm suffering from "a touch of something" that was apparenly an end-of-the-year viral present for the teacher. ::) But, I can (and will!) speak whole-heartedly on the positive effects it's had on my allergies.

Even done haphazardly, I've notived a marked differnce in my sniffling/sneezing/itching/noseblowing. The effect is instantaneous. One day I missed it and doubled my kleenex consumption! It doens't make my allergies go away entirely, but it does help... and every little bit helps, believe me. I'd say it's only slightly less effective than my meds, and those are prescription (expensive) and take a while to do up.

I don't lay down to swab my schnozz in the mornings, but I do tilt my head back. It smells like olive oil for a minute but that's not bad. :)

I'm more confused than a mood ring on a paranoid bipolar schizophrenic chameleon in a bag of skittles!

Offline Alohamora

• SkinCell God
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday June 14, 2006, 10:59:06 PM »

Doing it before exposure to allergens is much more helpful than doing it after exposure... 

It's not obvious to me why that would be true.  Do you have a theory to explain why or is this based on real-life experimentation?

You are what you eat.

Offline Wooley

• Retired Moderator
    • My Blog
« Reply #10 on: Thursday June 15, 2006, 06:33:59 AM »

Doing it before exposure to allergens is much more helpful than doing it after exposure... 

It's not obvious to me why that would be true.  Do you have a theory to explain why or is this based on real-life experimentation?

I'd venture a guess that it is because the oil prevents (some or all of) the allergens from being absorbed by the body.

Wooley

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
« Reply #11 on: Thursday June 15, 2006, 07:01:40 AM »
Yes Wooley, that's the biggest part of it.
Bamawing, so glad you showed up.  Thank you so much for your input!  I am jammed up for time now.  I'll address your post as soon as I can.
I can add a bit to what Wooley has said, but she pretty well nailed it.  Got to go now.
Anthropositor

Offline mnm mom

• SkinCell God
« Reply #12 on: Thursday June 15, 2006, 04:12:59 PM »
i am glad you brought this up.
I never heard of using a q-tip i just cup my hands under my nose in the shower and breath in the water till it hits the back of my throat. hold it there till i need to breath and then blow it out. i do that a few times than blow my nose while in the shower. a friend told me to try it, but she uses her water pick ouch. and that helps with my allergies.
but i have never used a oil i have used a over the counter med called nasel gel it is used to keep your nose moist in the winter. and that works for me.
mnm
there is good in everyone you just have to look for it. and some times you have to look really hard.

Offline itchychick

• Global Moderator
  • Peachy Sunshine
« Reply #13 on: Thursday June 15, 2006, 06:27:33 PM »
Like Bama, I too have been doing this haphazardly (I was really diligent for about a month or so... and then got lazy).  I've had a mild cold since begining, but it was during that period of laziness.

One more observation that occurs to me.  When I begin to get very itchy with a new outbreak of the eczema/hives, I notice that having a shower, followed by a light moisturizer helps me itch less and sleep better at night.  I never really thought that it might be related to washing the allergens off my skin, but as the fall and spring have been historically bad for my skin, I wonder whether the itching might be related to seasonal allergies.

Offline Bamawing

• Administrator
  • Administrative Bleeper!
  • Token Nutcase :D
« Reply #14 on: Thursday June 15, 2006, 10:26:51 PM »
I'm going to be very, very dilligent about this next school year! :nod:
I'm more confused than a mood ring on a paranoid bipolar schizophrenic chameleon in a bag of skittles!

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
« Reply #15 on: Friday June 16, 2006, 08:16:43 AM »
Hi mnm mom,
Some of these alternative methods of reducing the debris and flora and fauna of the nasal passage are certainly workable and satisfactory for some, but others have a serious aversion to drawing water up the nose until it comes down the back of the throat.  I have done it experimentally, but I don't enjoy it in the slightest degree.  I suggest it as an alternative method for those who, for one reason or another, such as substantial deviation of the septum or other unusual nasal passage restriction, can't do the procedure in the standard way.  But most find it more difficult and tend to do it with less regularity.

I would be interested in finding out more about the nasal gel you mentioned, such as the ingredient list as it appears on the label.  In my testing over the past twenty two years, my focus has been on the whole array of vegetable oils, with the heaviest emphasis on the oils which are reasonably economical or at least not outrageously expensive.  I want this procedure to be accessible to the widest cross-section of the public possible, so it would also be nice to know the cost of the gel in question and how much you get for the price.  ...Once again, I am being called away.  Hope to hear more from you on this.
Anthropositor

« Last Edit: Saturday June 24, 2006, 06:56:17 PM by anthropositor »

Offline mnm mom

• SkinCell God
« Reply #16 on: Friday June 16, 2006, 03:12:01 PM »
good morning anthropositor,
sorry i don't know the name right now, but i know it's called nasal gel. I will have to get back to you on that.
mnm mom
there is good in everyone you just have to look for it. and some times you have to look really hard.

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
« Reply #17 on: Friday June 16, 2006, 04:52:25 PM »
Hi Bamawing and Itchychick,
It's not at all unusual not to be entirely regular about doing this procedure when you first start doing it.  And for some reason, good habits are harder to reinforce than bad habits, or at least it seems that way.  Doing the rinse-swabbing in the shower helped me a lot, when it came to remembering to do it.  For a few years in the beginning, I did it before I shaved, but I'm generally more rushed then and it's easy to forget.  Associating the practice with the shower and the oil-swabbing (laying down!) immediately after drying off made a big difference for me.

As you notice more and more of the side benefits, (there are several I haven't mentioned) Positive Reinforcement will help you to remember.  The side-benefit of the substantial abatement of symptoms for airborn allergens is a really big help in this regard!  When you prevent viral disease, you just sort of... stay healthy.  Pretty anti-climactic.  But when you have immediate relief from your allergies, that's obvious and and absolutely crystal clear to you, and you can tell for sure that it was what you did for yourself that did it because if you stop doing it, the symptoms return again in a day or so.

Hard to believe I was such an idiot that it took me until the mid-nineties to sort this out.  (And I wouldn't have even then, if some of my people hadn't remarked on their relief from long-standing allergies!) :doh:
Anthropositor

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
« Reply #18 on: Monday June 19, 2006, 08:33:55 PM »
I do hope guests of the forum, who have not yet become registered, will try this procedure and share your experiences with us.
You don't even have to have skin problems for this procedure to improve the quality of your life.
Anthropositor

Offline mnm mom

• SkinCell God
« Reply #19 on: Thursday June 22, 2006, 02:34:19 PM »
hello anthropositor,
The product i use is called Ayr saline nasal gel. there web site is www.bfascher.com
sorry it took so long to get back to you we were on vacation. we went to the shore, we go fathers' day weekend every year for a week.
we had great weather too.
mnm