Author Topic: Olive oil as a moisturiser... is this as ridiculous as it sounds?  (Read 24493 times)

Offline Narcissa

Olive oil as a moisturiser... is this as ridiculous as it sounds?
« on: Sunday April 23, 2006, 05:33:35 PM »
Is it possible that olive oil could be used as a moisturiser for dry, allergy prone skin? I was wondering about it today, having suffered numerous odd reactions from many moisturisers, from essential based ones to paraffin based ones.

It feels like I'm shrivelling into a prune! My skin doesn't look awful, but it is noticeably dry and tight, and until I've been patch tested I'm incredibly reluctant to put anything on it!

Cheers, N xx
Your car was upside-down when I got here.

Offline Karen F

• SkinCell Grand
  • Supreme Exerciser
  • Hello!
Re: Olive oil as a moisturiser... is this as ridiculous as it sounds?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday April 23, 2006, 06:30:27 PM »
:hi:

Not sure about this Narcissa, but I do remember ages ago seeing a programme about model Marie Helvin and she was saying that she used olive oil (I think I'm right with this!) as a moisturiser.  You could always try a bit on a covered up area of skin just to make sure you don't react to it. :-*

Offline Gary

• SkinCell Friend
  • Entertainment Guru
« Reply #2 on: Monday April 24, 2006, 03:51:49 PM »
Have you tried Vitamin E?  Break the capsule open and gently massage the liquid into your skin.

I've spoken to a lady who occluded her arm using gauze and Crisco (vegetable shortening).  Her psoriasis went into remission after about a month of dong this for about one month.  She did it once a week, for three days per session, and changed the gauze and Crisco every morning.

Unconventional? Sure...but it worked for her.  I guess vegatable oil could work as well - but definitely do some research about it before jumping in.  God knows I've smattered myself with everything from steroids to mud to - yes - ingredients for baked goods... so do your research, perform a trial run on only a small portion of your skin, see if it helps (and that it doesn't create any negative reactions), and if it's effective, then continue with that same method - but at a larger scale.

"He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it. " - Douglas Adams

Offline Alohamora

• SkinCell God
« Reply #3 on: Monday April 24, 2006, 04:05:07 PM »
My grandmother used olive oil on her skin for years. She didn't have any skin problems, she just said it kept her skin soft and young looking.  I don't remember if she used it on her face or not, I do remember her using it on her arms and hands and neck. 

You are what you eat.

Offline Aquababe241

• SkinCell God
« Reply #4 on: Saturday September 13, 2008, 06:11:03 PM »
Hi there,

I use Olive oil on my skin every day as no other moisturser is as good for my sensitive skin... I put it in my bath with Dead Sea salts so I feel oiled up in the bath.  Then after the bath when my skin is getting dry, I put more on then go to bed. When I wake up in the morning, I put more on.  I have super dry skin, so the olive oil moisturises it and takes the ashiness away.

Try some...and try to get olive oil that doesn't smell.  If it does, it's rancid.

Olive oil massaged on then the gel from 1/3 of an aloe vera leaf smeared on arms, neck and wherever else is dry is also a good moisturiser.  Very nice on the face and very cooling.
It's really nice to be free, free to be me
I'd rather be free and happy
Than nobody and sad

Offline mayhem

• Registered member
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday September 23, 2008, 01:15:27 PM »
I use olive oil before i have a shower. I coat myself in the stuff lightly take a shower and then dry and moisturise with cetahpil.
Since ive been doing this my skin has been less dry and seems a little darker in colour.
CLEAR SKIN = HAPPY PEOPLE

Offline CazAngel

• SkinCell God
  • An Enigma
    • My Facebook page.
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday September 23, 2008, 04:37:44 PM »
This is very interesting. I wonder if it would work to be a good moisturiser in general. I have very dry sensitive, itchy skin (that's all it is as far as I know) - I have heard of people using it in their hair as well, and I kow it's in some deep moisturising hair conditioners. Last time I went to get my hair done the beautician put leave-in olive oil condition on my hair. Maybe I'll try it on my skin sometime.  :)
With care,
Caz (Carolyn)
xx :hugs:

"Nonviolence is not a garment to be put on and off at will.
Its seat is in the heart, and it must be an inseparable part of our being." - Gandhi

"I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination." - Einstein

Offline Bamawing

• Administrator
  • Administrative Bleeper!
  • Token Nutcase :D
« Reply #7 on: Thursday September 25, 2008, 09:19:36 PM »
I can't do moisturizers... lotion is my trigger! So I use vinegar... white vinegar works as well as the apple cider variety, and doesn't smell as bad.
I'm more confused than a mood ring on a paranoid bipolar schizophrenic chameleon in a bag of skittles!

Offline CazAngel

• SkinCell God
  • An Enigma
    • My Facebook page.
« Reply #8 on: Thursday September 25, 2008, 10:05:28 PM »
I can't do moisturizers... lotion is my trigger! So I use vinegar... white vinegar works as well as the apple cider variety, and doesn't smell as bad.

Not even pure Aloe Vera gel?
With care,
Caz (Carolyn)

Its seat is in the heart, and it must be an inseparable part of our being." - Gandhi

Offline Bamawing

• Administrator
  • Administrative Bleeper!
  • Token Nutcase :D
« Reply #9 on: Friday September 26, 2008, 02:13:58 AM »
Come to think of it, Aloe Vera is OK. But is that a moisturizer?

I'm more confused than a mood ring on a paranoid bipolar schizophrenic chameleon in a bag of skittles!

Offline CazAngel

• SkinCell God
  • An Enigma
    • My Facebook page.
« Reply #10 on: Friday September 26, 2008, 03:27:24 AM »
Yeah, it actually is. It is very good for your skin and usually the nly thing I can moisturise my skin with that doesn't irrtate it and make me itchier.
With care,
Caz (Carolyn)

Offline CalamityJane

• SkinCell Grand
  • of Whimsy
  • Dogs speak every language!
« Reply #11 on: Friday September 26, 2008, 03:35:44 AM »
Hi all, as usual, different things for different people! Aloe doesn't help me at all. Just makes my skin tight.

I think Olive Oil would be great, but for absorption into the skin, it would have to be used on dampish/sort of wet skin I would think.

Jane
It's a good day when you laugh!

Offline CazAngel

• SkinCell God
  • An Enigma
    • My Facebook page.
« Reply #12 on: Friday September 26, 2008, 06:47:54 AM »
Too true, Jane. Life would be just too easy if one thing worked for all, right? ::) Would be nice though.  :)
With care,
Caz (Carolyn)

Offline mayhem

• Registered member
« Reply #13 on: Friday September 26, 2008, 11:43:26 AM »
I think Olive oil helps before showering as it acts as a barrier to prevent the water from drying the skin out, provided you apply moisteriser after you dry off.
CLEAR SKIN = HAPPY PEOPLE

Offline skinurghs

• Diary of an Eczema Suffer
« Reply #14 on: Sunday September 28, 2008, 11:06:09 PM »
I reacted to applying olive oil on my skin - it gave me rashes  :-[

So just sticking to aloe vera smoothed over with epaderm
Positive action, positive thoughts, positive healing