Author Topic: Treatments for Progressive Pigmented Dermatosis/Purpura/Capillaritis  (Read 33096 times)

Offline Caspian

• Registered member
Treatments for Progressive Pigmented Dermatosis/Purpura/Capillaritis
« on: Friday April 21, 2006, 10:53:43 AM »
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum, having been diagnosed with capillaritis a couple of weeks ago.  I have a moderate case, with petechiae covering most of my legs and on the insides of my forearms.  I also get the occasional patch on my stomach.  The dermatologist couldn't be much help unfortunately, as the disease has no particular cause and there is no treatment for it, though I was at least relieved to find out that it was benign.

However, I refused to accept that there was nothing I could do about the condition and just had to "live with it" (doctors have GOT to realise that a disease does not have to kill you to damage you), and I did a little research of my own into alternative remedies and treatments.  I am not saying that what I am using will work for everyone, or will even work for anyone but me, but I just had to share my findings with you.  I am currently taking 100mg grapeseed extract per day and 1ml bilberry tincture per day as these contain flavonoids said to strengthen fragile capillaries.  I also use arnica cream on the petechial patches on my arms twice daily, and have found a remarkable decrease in the number of petechiae and in the time they take to return.  I am now going to try the arnica on my legs which are pretty badly affected, and will see what effect it has.

As it's early days I can't say whether stopping these treatments would make the rash return to its previous severity - I have yet to investigate that.  But I am amazed to find that these alternative treatments seem to be helping me.

I hope that this may be useful to other PPD/capillaritis sufferers.

All the best, Caspian. x

Offline Sunshine77

• Registered member
Re: Treatments for Progressive Pigmented Dermatosis/Purpura/Capillaritis
« Reply #1 on: Sunday April 30, 2006, 12:10:41 AM »
Caspian:
    that is very interesting!! I shall give it a try.
I am already doing the grapeseed extract.  At first when I read Arnica, I thought isn't that for muscle soreness...but isn't it also for bruises??
I shall go try it now.

Thankyou

Karen

Offline Caspian

• Registered member
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday May 02, 2006, 01:29:13 PM »
Hello Sunshine, hope all is well with you  :)

I just wanted to follow up the Arnica thing...I think it is used mainly for bruises and muscle pains, because it has anti-inflammtory action.  I don't quite know how it works to help vascular problems, but I've been applying it twice daily to my arms and shins for about four weeks now, and it does seem to help.  It appears to speed the clearance of the petechiae and also help prevent new ones appearing.  At least, I think it's the Arnica, though I know it's too early to start writing my research paper!!  ;)

I hope you find something that helps....with summer coming up it would be great not to have to cover up!

Anna. x

Offline brianarose7

• Registered member
  • Live Aloha!!!
« Reply #3 on: Thursday November 16, 2006, 11:06:40 PM »
Thank you so much for offering alternative treatments for Purpura.  I have also read that vitamin k added to the diet can help as well.  I will try anything!  I know you just have to live with this but it is such an eyesore! 

Offline Marks Mom

• Registered member
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday May 16, 2012, 07:18:58 PM »
Hello,  I too am new to this site.  I was diagnosed with Capillaritis several years ago by my dermatologist who said there was not a cure.  I have the kind that itches so she told me to just use an over the counter cream that had anti-itch properties.  So I decided to research this and since it was vascular decided  I needed to take supplements that would support the vascular system.  I started taking Hawthorne, and horse chestnut (but have discontinued this).  Still taking Hawthorne. I'm taking natto kinase which makes the blood flow better and many other antioxidants.  Even though I've used Arnica for other things  it never occurred to me to use it for this.  I use the gel (not sure if it makes a difference and I've taken the pellets that you dissolve under you tongue (arnica montana 200).  I'm wondering if taking the pellets would also help with the inflammation.  I'm going to try and see. When taking homeopathics orally you need to follow the protocol around when to take and foods to avoid as they can be neutralized and then you would lose the benefit.  You can find it on line.

Offline Julieicon

• Registered member
« Reply #5 on: Monday May 21, 2012, 05:56:35 AM »
PLEASE don't take offense by my question but, do you smoke cigarettes?  If yes, do you smoke Menthol or Non-Menthol?
The reason I asked is to is share my experienced having and dealing with Progressive Pigmentary Dermitosis for a couple of years when I was in my teen years.  Back then, my mother took me to see a Dermatologist because we had no clue what these purplish areas that where showing up on my lower extremities or what to do about them?  Then, after my appointment with the dermatologist, he told me that I had Progressive Pigmentary Dermitosis.  He prescribed a couple of creams that I was to apply to my lower legs just prior to bedtime followed by wrapping my legs in seran wrap and sleeping with the seran wrap on my legs throughout the night, and removing it in the morning.  This intervention was a waste of time because no improvement was noteable.  The last suggestion my dermatologist  was to say, "if you must smoke cigatettes, you need to smoke non-mentol in stead of menthol.  I liked my menthol cigarettes and really did not like the taste of non-menthol, however, when i started smoking in my teens, the world really made no fuss about smoking, second-smoke, much less the damage it was doing to the smoker.  As well, when I was young, they did  not enforce the Age Laws regarding the sale of tabacco products to individuals under 18; laws that have always been in place but, actually never enforced or brought to light with greater than full attention until probably lke the last 20 - 25 years.
Anyway, the Moral to my story is, although I wished I could say that back in the day I just quit when I the doctor recommended me to switch from Menthol to Non-Menthol if I were going to smoke, I did switch to non-menthol and shortly afterwords, my legs cleared up, and it has never returned; that is been greater than 25 years.

Sincerely,

Julie W.
Julie Wall Wiggins

Offline Sharfin

• Registered member
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday May 22, 2012, 06:17:42 AM »
Hi I`m new in this forum, I have been having Capillaritis for altmos 2 years, Im taking Elorgan 400mg and Gingokan it seems to change the type of points to a little ones, but that also  could be the evolution of the capillaritys, so Im not sure of the succeed.

I`ll try with the arnica.  ;)

Are any one from the first post still here? Did arnica works for them?

Bye.

Offline rainbow308

• Registered member
« Reply #7 on: Friday August 17, 2012, 10:28:05 PM »
I am 20 and have just been told I have capillaritis by a dermatologist at the hospital today. Relieved it isn't something more serious and feel lucky I don't have a form that itches!
I would like the rash to go because it is really wide spread and does make me feel a little self conscious, so I will be trying some of these remedies! :)

I was wondering if anyone knew, sorry if this is a silly question but I am concerned. I am wondering if I am still able to wax hairs? Not over the areas where I have Capillaritis, for example on my legs it is mostly my thighs and back of my knees and I would only be waxing my lower legs.

Any advice would be really appreciated, I could ask my GP Doctor but not sure if we will know

Offline Sharfin

• Registered member
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday September 04, 2012, 02:54:27 PM »
Hello rainbow308, from what i have been living (two years) I dont see mayor problems with wax than the evident you will have significant more points (rash) because of the trauma you produce to your skin but the will also disappear with some time so your choice, that is what capilaritis have

What I can tell you is that you will see points decrease with sun, and come back eventually, and for what Ive read if you are lucky disappear with time (months, years)

Have a nice day.  :D

Offline Sharfin

• Registered member
« Reply #9 on: Monday December 31, 2012, 09:11:04 AM »
Hello, I`ve been trying with VIt E, arnica and Elorgan, if I had episodes every week, know I dindt have any episode, I have some points but nothing similar to the past events.

Cant tell if is the evolution of the vasculitis or if is the vit E, but for now is working, Im trying this:

-Monday to Friday 2 pills of VIT E 200 or 400.
-Thursday to Friday 2 pills  of arnica If points.
-Elorgan, Three pills per day but didnt seem to work, prescribed by doctor to help.

Will tell more about it.

Offline ridemycanam

• Registered member
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday October 02, 2013, 01:53:19 PM »
I've had this condition for years but never knew what it was called.  Its quite severe on my lower legs but causes me no distress.  I just recently learned what it was called and as others have posted I was told there's no cure.  I was wondering if the Grape Seed has worked for anyone. 

Offline Sharfin

• Registered member
« Reply #11 on: Monday October 14, 2013, 03:12:20 PM »
Hello, i affray Im the only one that is still active here, I have been having these disease for four years.

First you learn about this is that anyone knows about this, not a clue
Facts:

1-It appears, most of the times (the lucky ones) without any knotweed cause (you are not that ill), Im here, hope you too.
2-Its gets better in most of the people with sun and some dynamic activity.
3-It comes and goes as it likes.

My experience, since these summer I havent been having any rush, it goes as it comes but we know by the same equation that it could come again.
I stared six months ago with E vitamin three times per day (nothing bad can come from extra E vitamin in your body but an extreme expensive urine) and Arnica three times per day if points.

Few month latter the lesions start to be less severe ( I had from the stomach to the foots almost full of lesions and arms), and one moth latter no points at all, I cant really understand and Im not sure it has anything to be with the medication, but try y also eat a lot of grapes just in case.

Wish you the best.