Author Topic: Stretch Marks on a 10 year old girl  (Read 6541 times)

Offline weedot

• Registered member
Stretch Marks on a 10 year old girl
« on: Monday April 10, 2006, 05:34:22 PM »
Hello everyone, I'm Karrie
I hope I'm posting this in the right place, If not I'm sorry.
I want to post about my 10 year old daughter. Last night as I was painting my daughters toe nails and I happened to look on her inner thy and saw about 10 to 12 stretch mark looking like Freddy Krueger Line on her skin, red and purple and deep looking, that is the only place on her body that I could find them and they are only on one leg. She 10 years old, :o is that normal? Has any one seen stretch marks on a 10 year old before? 15, 16 and up, yes, but 10, She's 5'5, so she's tall and weights like 100 lbs, so she's not over weight, she's tall. But to see this on her at such a young age, worries me so much. She is starting to show some signs of puberty, but it's just starting. I was wondering is there something I can do for her. Do the lotions over the counter work? I don't have stretch marks, not even after 2 kids. So I'm like redundant when it comes to this area. If any one can please help me that would be so nice, and to please let me know if you ever seen a 10 year old have something like this so I don't feel like my kid is the only one.
Thank you
-Karrie

Offline totalfolly

• SkinCell Friend
  • Crazy Cat Hero
    • Jo & Co. in Virginia
Re: Stretch Marks on a 10 year old girl
« Reply #1 on: Monday April 10, 2006, 05:40:11 PM »
Hiya, Karrie, and welcome to SkinCell!

It's possible your daughter has experienced a recent growth spurt--I think sometimes that can cause the skin to produce stretch marks.  Try not to worry too much.  I'm sure a doctor could reassure you.  :hugs:

totalfolly

"If you hear a voice within you say 'You cannot paint'
then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced."
 -- Vincent vanGogh

Offline Nick

• SkinCell Friend
  • SkinCell buddy
    • SkinCell
« Reply #2 on: Monday April 10, 2006, 05:41:55 PM »
Hiya Karrie and a warm welcome to SkinCell :hi:

I really feel for you and your daughter. It must have been a tremendous shock for you both.

Stretch marks at the age of 10 does sound unusual, as you say, it normally shows itself in puberty. Could it be that your daughter is actually going thrpugh puberty early?
Fortunately, stretch marks usually fade over time but that doesn't really help in the meantime. What sort of OTC products were you thinking of trying?

Offline weedot

• Registered member
« Reply #3 on: Monday April 10, 2006, 06:03:32 PM »
Hiya Karrie and a warm welcome to SkinCell :hi:

I really feel for you and your daughter. It must have been a tremendous shock for you both.

Stretch marks at the age of 10 does sound unusual, as you say, it normally shows itself in puberty. Could it be that your daughter is actually going thrpugh puberty early?
Fortunately, stretch marks usually fade over time but that doesn't really help in the meantime. What sort of OTC products were you thinking of trying?
Thanks for the warm Welcome!

Well she is showing sign of "New Growth" if you get what I mean. So yes she starting a bit early, luck her, hu?
As for OTC products, I have no clue what to try, She a very sensitive 10 year old and she get her feelings hurts so very quickly, and kids are so mean in her age level at school. I know that at our age we can deal with that and brush it off but at 10 years old, it's something that she hasn't developed to dealing with yet in her life. I know that there are so many products out there; I just would like to know what really works.
-Karrie

Offline J

« Reply #4 on: Monday April 10, 2006, 06:21:20 PM »
Hi.  I got stretch marks on my inner thighs when I was between ten and eleven.  Probably twelve or more.  I was never overweight.  I am an adult now and have stretch marks all over my belly  from babies.  My parents don't have them on their legs, so I think it is just one of those things.  She just has more delicate skin than you do.  Try not to make a big deal about it.  No one at school ever teased me.  I remember them being quite conspicuous when I was ten, and through early teen years.  Over the years they faded, and now, as an adult in my thirties, they are quite faded and only visible in certain light.  (Now if only my belly ones will do the same thing!  Guess I have to wait 25 years!).  It is really not a big deal, I promise you...especially when she starts getting teenage acne. 

Sincerely,

J

Offline itchychick

• Global Moderator
  • Peachy Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: Monday April 10, 2006, 07:01:22 PM »
Hi Kerrie. 

Stretch marks can definately be caused by growing quickly (weight gain is not always a factor).  The fact that they are purpley red means that they are recent.  They WILL fade to a silvery colour as she gets older.

As far as I know, there is very little you can do to prevent them, other than keeping skin in good condition with proper nutrition, drinking water, etc.  Basic stuff.  As for the OTC stuff goes, save your money, because they do very little beyond moisturizing.   There is one product that has been getting a lot of press lately, called StriVectin (or Strivectin).  They say it's been helpful for softening wrinkles, but it was originally intented for stretch marks.  I have no idea how effective it is, but I have seen it discussed in a number of places.  If it's really bothersome, why not get a referral to a dermatologist who specialized in cosmetic issues, as TF has suggested.

Good luck... It's really hard with a young girl, but I'm sure you reminding her that she is attractive and smart and generally helping build her confidence will help her feel good about herself :)

Offline Wooley

• Retired Moderator
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: Monday April 10, 2006, 08:13:32 PM »
Hi Karrie

I went through puberty early (11ish) and I got stretchmarks when I did, mine were on the front and sides of my pelvis though. They are still their and they have faded now but I have read that some people are more prone to stretchmarks than others and there is not a lot you can do to prevent them... so I just accepted them.

By the way I am 5'9 and was very slim when I was that age...

I hope that your daughter is feeling ok about these, and she is definitely not alone. I would suggest to try and not act as if they are a big deal to you if you can, to avoid her getting self conscious of them.

:hugs:

Wooley

Offline weedot

• Registered member
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday April 11, 2006, 04:49:21 AM »
Thanks all of you. It hard not to worry about your kids , ya know!
thanks again
-Karrie

Offline Wooley

• Retired Moderator
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday April 11, 2006, 06:03:09 AM »
Hi Karrie

I know what you mean, worrying is all part of the whole parenthood thing isn't it.

:hugs:

Wooley

Offline chicky

« Reply #9 on: Wednesday April 12, 2006, 07:32:59 AM »
Hi there

Stretch marks are usually an indication of a lack of zinc in your diet.
Make sure her diet is balanced and consisting of whole food and a multivitamin wouldn't hurt  and extra zinc supplements if she would take them.

chicky

Offline Blue Bird

• SkinCell Grand
  • Lyricist
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday April 12, 2006, 09:07:50 PM »
Wee Dot> In the case of a young girl, you might just be lucky and she might just be able to get her skin to cooperate and heal, since she will still be growing for some time.

An old remedy is pure cocoa butter cream. Not the stuff that is inexpensive, with lots of additives and scents to make it smell better. I mean only the _pure cocoa butter cream_ that will smell somewhat like very strong bakers dark chocolate. It will be slightly pungent and not sweet at all.

Go to a drug store or a pharmacy section in your favorite store. Read the ingredients and even ask the pharmacist if he has some in stock for over the counter sales, or if he can order it, or if he knows where it is located in the store. He or she will most likely also suggest something
for your daughter's young stretch marks.

Now, your daughter will need to apply this stuff to her stretch marks over the course of several years. As she grows, she will fill out the skin and the cocoa butter cream will help in so many ways. It is believed to also increase melanin distribution in the area of the stretched skin.

It is so much better for a youth to try to tackle this issue while young. While adults can not get rid of stretch marks because they have stopped growing ( unless the are expanding, but that has to do with weight issues and not actual  progressive human growth in adolescents)

Some sunlight will also help in bringing out the melanin, unless she is photosensitive or burns easily, or has very pale white skin.  If she has average colored skin that can handle sun, or skin that can tan, or skin that tans easily, or if she has olive skin, or African skin, or mediterranean skin, she will do well with some sunlight and the pure cocoa butter cream. She can also use a skin beneficial oil. I am not suggesting that she over-do a tanning booth. I am not suggesting that she all out burn herself in some way with the sun or a tanner. I am not suggesting that she become a permanently tan person by over doing tanning in the sun or in a booth.

I am only suggesting that she can boost the coloring in the stretched skin area, and since she is a youth, her legs could get longer, and she might use the stretch marks for growth in those areas that would be adult and permanent, it would reduce the appearance of the stretch marks as they will not only fade, but they will involute, hollow out, become indentations and
thus more obvious in adults.

I hope this helps her to heal her skin and help her to grow to adulthood with decreased appearance in the stretch mark areas, and possible recovery to health skin, with less possibilities of additional stretch marks in those areas, because she is only 12, this could really work as a long term reduction and eventual resolution of her "growing pains" type of stretch mark in a young pre-teen female.

This added to the posts about good nutrition will do wonders for your daughter as she grows into a young woman, 12 is the age that her hormones should start really kicking in, and I suspect it might be having a cause and effect reaction in her right now.

We can do so much for children and their health and skin if we catch things right away. They have such powers of recuperation during their growth spurts that you can don wonders for her and her ability to heal as she grows up into an adult.

Best wishes to your little darling daughter.
 (12 can be such an awkward age for a girl)
(With so many changes going on it's easier to start them on lifelongs habits now.
Just before their peer group takes over and they become a teenager)

When we understand that there is no up without a down,no over without an under, no good without a bad, no light without dark, no hot without cold, no yes without a no, we understand wholeness, and we cease to be disturbed, distressed, or perplexed by the illusion of anything less than wholeness.

Offline belladaisygurl

• Registered member
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday May 03, 2006, 02:32:58 AM »
Hi there!

I'm new to SkinCell and came across your posting. Hopefully I'm not too late!!

I think I can be of some help. I'm 22 years old and believe it or not I went through the same exact thing around the same age.

I am 5'11, not overweight. I went through a major growth spurt/puberty at that age. I was always the tallest out of all the girls. Anyways, I got them in the same area the inner thighs. They were very big, deep, and a purplish color. And let me tell you it was not a pretty sight.

I used different kinds of creams to try to lighten them but nothing worked. As your daughter gets older they will lighten. As I said before, I'm 22 now and they are no longer purple and of weird coloring. They are the same color as my natural skin tone or a light white color.

When I wear a bathing suit or shorts they are hardly noticeable, unless you look extremely close. I used to be so insecure about them but since they are hardly there they do not even bother me anymore.

So rest assure. I think everything will go smooth. However, if you would to use a cream, a vitamin K cream should somewhat work if she continues to use 2-3 times a day.

Tell your daughter to hang in there!! She's not the only one.  :hugs: