Author Topic: Grover's disease  (Read 871059 times)

Offline ckg1989

• Registered member
Re: Grover's disease
« Reply #1940 on: Monday January 29, 2018, 10:32:59 PM »
I am a 46.5 year old female who lives in AZ. I have had Grover's since October 2016. Severe case, started on both arms, went to chest, back, thighs, legs.. I had it neck to ankle for 10 out of 12 months. For the 2 months I had it only on my chest and hips.

I cured myself, after a very long 14 months with a severe case. I started taking high quality Vit D for hair loss, 4500IU per day, some days I take an extra 1500IU just because. It was a tip I received from my cousin, her daughter has severe alopecia the doctor used it to get it under control. I don't have alopecia, but wanted to give it a try. After 2 weeks almost half of my rash was gone, after 30 days the rash was gone. It has been 80ish days, no rash at all. First time in 16 months. No doctor, no article I have read said to try Vit D; they all said B6/B12. I never thought I would be thankful for hair loss, but now I am!!

FYI My blood work in 2016 showed my Vit D was in the normal range, low end, but normal. If you are in the normal range take it any way and get your Vit K checked to ensure that level is good bc if your Vit K is not working correctly your body will not absorb the Vit D.

Low Vit D drives auto immune issues. When I looked at the list of what Vit D deficiency can do to a woman's body, sure men too, I about fell over. I wondered WHY this is not a standard practice for someone who develops Grover's. I tried soo much crap, it really infuriates me that it was this simple. My rash was horrid.

I do not know how to get this information out there, I am going to post it where ever I can.
« Last Edit: Monday January 29, 2018, 10:39:07 PM by ckg1989 »

Offline golfboy307

« Reply #1941 on: Wednesday January 31, 2018, 09:11:39 PM »
To the poster above who swims a lot, both pool water and ocean water are triggers for my Grover's.  My disease is mainly in remission, thanks to several years of reducing the mercury load in my body.  (See above posts).  But it still can flare.  Everyone has slightly different triggers.  Mine are heat, pool and ocean water.  My skin is remarkably clear in the winter.  This is after three years of a pretty severe outbreak.  Like you, my best defense is Triamcinolone cream.

To the other poster's question:  Grover's is generally considered a benign (if annoying) medical condition.

To CKG:  congrats on the Vitamin D treatment.  It does work very well in a few cases.  Many of us tried it to no avail.  Glad it helped.

Up to 80% of most Grover's cases resolve on their own in the first 6-12 months.  For the rest of us, it becomes a lifelong condition to manage.   

Best wishes to all still on the Forum!  JD and Danny great to hear from you

Offline Naneki06

• Registered member
« Reply #1942 on: Friday February 09, 2018, 08:05:23 PM »
I just found out today I have Grover's Disease :'(.  It started in December.  My skin has been flawless for 58 years and now this.  My back is covered.  My doctor is giving me a cream, but is there anything else I can do (i.e., diet, supplements, etc.) to help this go way faster.  Most of the post I see are coming from men, any women have this problem.  Thanks!

Offline Elisa

Grover's disease
« Reply #1943 on: Saturday February 10, 2018, 08:37:24 AM »
Hello,

I am a woman who had/has Grovers.  It lasted for about a year and a half.  My posts on this thread go way back.....
Today I still have a few spots on my chest that appear from time to time and then go again.  A new dermatologist recommended
this cream and it seems to be pretty effective: Eucerin (the German laboratory based in Hamburg) "Complete repair UREA PLUS".
In the past when my Grovers was truly very serious, I used a plant cream that no longer exists but which helped enormously. 
Although I have very little Grovers these days this new cream is worth trying I think.

All the best, I hope your case will be like mine, a transient one.
Elisa

N.B.  I have been a vegetarian all my life (no meat no fish) and I have always been extremely sportive. I am blonde with blue eyes and spent too much time in the sun (unprotected) when I was a child in the sixties.

Offline TomA

« Reply #1944 on: Saturday February 10, 2018, 04:09:05 PM »
A number of women have shared on this chain, indeed it was started by a woman. There first few months are the worst and this disease is usually a temporary condition lasting 6-12 months. I've had to use a typical steroid, Triamcinolone, to get relief but you have to use it very sparingly. I've also found, ironically, that a hairdryer on high takes the string out for a while. That enabled me to start being able to sleep at night. Currently, I'm just using Cortisone 10 and Gold Bond Excema Relief lotion to cool down my skin. Hopefully, you have the temporary Grover's and it will pass on a few months.

Offline ckg1989

• Registered member
« Reply #1945 on: Wednesday February 14, 2018, 03:59:46 AM »
Thank you, golfboy307! It has been a long road. I had no idea Vit D was even a treatment for it, I wish I had known a lot sooner!

Offline clemente

• Registered member
« Reply #1946 on: Sunday April 01, 2018, 04:22:04 AM »
(Male, 58) I was diagnosed with Grover's August 14th, 2017 after several months of seeing little red patches pop up on my shoulder. Two biopsies were taken. One with Grover's the other was diagnosed as Chronic Folliculitis. Seems they are the same. I've read through much of this forum. I feel terrible for everyone who is suffering much more than I am and I pray for your healing and that mine does not get worse.

I have also had several instances of BCC in the past. I really hadn't experienced the horrid itching until I had a whole pompano fish at a Thai restaurant. I think I had some type of allergic reaction that caused something strange to happen and my Grover's went ballistic spreading to my chest and itching really bad.

Someone on this forum said a zinc based ointment worked well for relief. I happened to have a bottle of zinc assay in the cabinet so I put it on my outbreak full strength. It stings like crazy but after a bit I have complete relief and control. Each red spot seems like it is drying up and if I scratch it, it will bust open and ooze a little liquid. Yuck. I hope that doesn't cause it to spread. I've also tried clove oil and DMSO. Seems to bring the worst out to the top of the skin OR speeds up the cycle.

What I've learned from this forum is that there are many different things tried but not one specific thing that fixes. Lots of reading so I won't continue blabbering away.

I'm really liking what I just read today about overall body acidity, yeast or fungus, and nutrient deficiency. Seems like there might be something significant there in that line of thinking.

My goal is to study and choose a protocol, stick to it and see if it works. I'm thinking this is an autoimmune response. Love and healing to all. Praise be to God.

Offline golfboy307

« Reply #1947 on: Wednesday April 11, 2018, 07:46:41 PM »
Clemente,

I would also add that if you had a severe reaction after eating fish, don't ignore the mercury angle.  Reducing/eliminating mercury has helped a lot of us on this forum.  As you mentioned, any other methods that contribute to overall skin health will help as well.

Offline lukaskupasz

• Registered member
    • prywatny żłobek rzeszůw
« Reply #1948 on: Wednesday April 25, 2018, 01:31:13 PM »
Hi all, I'm wondering if anyone has any advice for what frequencies to run for Grover's Disease and more importantly what can be done in terms of foods/toxins/supplements to avoid and which to include.

Offline Jamielee

• Registered member
« Reply #1949 on: Tuesday May 01, 2018, 06:17:46 PM »
Hello everyone.  First of all I must say think you for all of the fantastic information located in these pages. It is so wonderful to see that I am not suffering alone.

I was diagnosed with Grovers last year after a biopsy by my dermatologist.  He was completely baffled as was I.  That's ok. On a path toward recovery/management of symptoms hopefully.

I am a 39 year old female. Cali baby so I have been in the sun my whole life, but always with sunscreen.  The Grovers is still on my stomach, but my shoulders and back are clear at the moment. I am taking Vitamin D (as I have been for awhile - mine was not even registering last time I had blood work done). I also use a salacylic acid scrub daily on my stomach (typically used for acne). I follow that with Aczone (an acne cream) every other day. It helps to keep the itchies at bay. I work out regularly but sweat and heat does not seem to irritate my grovers. Nothing in particular seems to irritate it - it just comes and goes at its own pace. The marks that are left behind are what really depress me about the whole thing.

I hope to continue learning more and more about the disease.  I saw a lot of discussion regarding mercury levels and a possible correlation, but I am allergic to seafood and have no fillings in my teeth, so I am not sure if this would apply to me.

Offline Teacherchick

• Registered member
« Reply #1950 on: Thursday May 10, 2018, 11:51:32 PM »
I havenít posted in a few years. Iíve now had two biopsies in separate states that diagnosed my condition as Groverís. Iíve tried many medications. My Groverís started on my legs. I do have it on my arms and shoulders as well. Currently, I am on Doxycycline and Calcipotriene Cream. I also take Oxybutynin (a bladder medicine that I take ONLY for one side effect, which is lack of sweating, since my Groverís seems to be triggered by sweat).  My spots seem to be under control for the time being. Unfortunately, I am now covered in scars from the disease. It looks like I am extremely freckled on my legs, arms, and chest until you get up close and can see the shiny red/brown spots. It is extremely embarrassing. Have any of you experienced the scarring? Iíve had this condition for nearly 7 years now. My hope of the spots fading is not high. Iíve even tried laser, with no luck removing the spots. While I am thankful to have it under control for now, it sure is depressing to see the damage it has done to my skin.

Offline Maestrofred

• Registered member
« Reply #1951 on: Saturday May 19, 2018, 03:23:53 PM »
Greetings, everyone.  Since I last posted I have been skin tested for allergies and most recently I began seeing a new dermatologist.  When she looked at my arms she wasn't convinced that Grovers was my only problem.  She suggested that I do the following:.

1) begin using detergent brand ALL free and clear
2) stop using any type of dryer sheets and no wool balls in the dryer as well
3) and use moisturizer creams with Ceramides

Since I started doing these things the spots have begub to go away, so hopefully my Grovers is finally coming to an end, hopefully, and my problem now is more of an allergic reaction.  I had been using Arm & Hammer free and clear detergent but the ALL brand seems to be doing the trick.  Maybe this will help some of you. 

Offline jbecker

• Registered member
« Reply #1952 on: Wednesday June 27, 2018, 01:54:57 AM »
Hi everyone!
This is my first post. I hope my experience helps someone. This is my story. I am a 60 year old male of European descent. I live in Mexico City. My skin has always been very sensitive. For many years we spent vacations in the sun and as a result my skin was severely damaged. Since I was 30, I started developing literally dozens of basal cell carcinomas that where treated every year by my dermatologist. Eight years ago, she discovered a melanoma at a very early stage and removed it completely. Three months ago, I developed a rash in my torso and my back. Itching was unbearable. My dermatologist diagnosed the problem as Grover's and confirmed it later with a biopsy. She prescribed prednisone but did not help. She said I needed to be patient. After a month I got a horrible flare up, for several days I could not sleep, the burning and itching was very bad.
Then I found this forum and spent long hours reading what helped others who were suffering like me. After trying several things, the products that help me more to control the symptoms are:

1 Cerave itch relief moisturizing cream.
2 Rescue cream by Bach.
3 Essential coconut oil by Doterra.
4 Pomada de la Campana. (This was my wife's idea. It is a moisturizing cream enriched with vitamins A and E. It's made in Mexico and has been around for years, it is easily available on the web)

I apply the four products freely on the affected areas alternating or combining them two or three times a day.

But most important, I believe, thanks to you guys on this forum, two weeks ago I started taking Vitamin 3D, 5000 IU per day. Today, my back is totally clear, and my front is probably 50% better. The itching is way down, and I am beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I hope my experience helps. Good luck to all. !!!!

Offline TomA

« Reply #1953 on: Wednesday June 27, 2018, 02:24:07 AM »
I'm glad these things are working for you. The good news is that Grover's usually only lasts 6-12 months for most people. Hopefully, yours will fit into this category. Best of luck.

Offline jbecker

• Registered member
« Reply #1954 on: Tuesday July 24, 2018, 04:37:08 AM »
Hi all!

This is a short update. My condition has been improving slowly but surely. I have added a new ointment to the several products that I use on my skin (see my last post) that seems to accelerate the healing: cannabis ointment. I have not seen anyone mentioning this before. Hope this helps someone else. Good luck!!!!