Author Topic: Grover's disease  (Read 764151 times)

Offline TomA

Re: Grover's disease
« Reply #1920 on: Wednesday May 24, 2017, 09:37:25 PM »
As you can see from my previous posts, for the past several years I've settled on Triamcinolone cream and them blast the spots with a hair dryer on high, which takes the sting away immediately​. I've not found anything else that works as well.

Offline Olive

• Registered member
« Reply #1921 on: Friday May 26, 2017, 02:32:29 AM »
Hello! I'm a 60 yo female with Grovers's disease. I have had this condition for years. Recently, the itching and painful skin lead me into the derm office one again. I was just prescribed sodium sulfacetamide 10%/sulfur 5% cleanser. The doc also wanted to start me on a low dose long term antibiotic. I've been down that long road before and didn't want to go there again. I did request spironolactone as I have had success with this hormone blocker before. So far, not much improvement as my conditions waxes and wanes. I have very painful areas under my bra line and crazy itching on my back. This flare has my scalp and itching and bumpy. I also have a history of Hashimotos throiditis, but not hypothyroid at this time according to my last labs. Every year I mix and match my hydrocortisone and fungal cream with limited success. As summer is approaching in Texas, I am hoping for some new suggestions to avoid the painful bumps under my bra line. I love being outside but am having a harder time with the heat aggravating my condition. I'm irritable and once again looking for a soultion for coping with this horrible skin disease. Is Grovers disease considered an autoimmune disorder? My derm acted like it isn't a big deal, but I feel other wise. Yesterday I had intense itching that doesn't respond to OTC antihistamines. Derm doc didn't offer any thing else for the itching other that the wash. Anyone have any suggestions for the itching other that the moisturizing lotions?? Thank you for listening and letting me share my story.

Offline Elisa

« Reply #1922 on: Friday May 26, 2017, 07:05:42 AM »
Hello Olive,

I suggest you read through the zillions of pages on this thread.  You'll find on these pages some temporary solutions to Grovers, albeit quite different solutions....nobody really knows.

Everyday I plaster my bra line in cream (sort of shea butter but made with plants) - there's a lot of reference to it on here.

We are all coping with our Grovers, irrespective of the stage it is at and you will too.  You will learn how to live with it, to the extent that it doesn't intrude that much into your life (well, of course it does, but I'm being positive....).

All the best,
Elisa

Offline golfboy307

• Registered member
« Reply #1923 on: Tuesday June 13, 2017, 06:48:28 PM »
Olive,

I agree with Elisa, there is a lot of info back in these pages.  One of the approaches that worked for several people (but not all) was eliminating mercury.  There is a dermatologist in NYC named Dr. Paul Danzig that is convinced Grover's is caused by, or exacerbated by mercury in the body.  He encourages people to have their amalgram fillings out and eliminate seafood, followed by a course of chelation (to remove mercury from the body).  He claims a 90% success rate.  I followed his plan, but didn't do much chelation.  I have to say over the course of two years, my Grover's has subsided by about 80-90%.  I still get a small number of spots on my stomach, but not torso wide like I used to.  Am I cured?  No, but it made it much better.  And like you it does get worse in hot weather. 

Like TomA, triamcinolone is my favorite topical.

Hope that gives you something to consider.

Offline Journeyman

• Registered member
« Reply #1924 on: Monday July 24, 2017, 07:59:22 AM »
As we've agreed, Grover's is very diverse.  I'm much drawn to the notion that mine is triggered by low levels of Vitamin D, as it seems to come on with winter, and also seems to respond a little to Vit D supplementation.  I don't seem to have a problem with sun, warm weather, seawater, etc.

Just something you might care to try, if you haven't.

Good luck!

Offline Iain

• Registered member
« Reply #1925 on: Sunday August 06, 2017, 02:02:20 PM »
I have suffered from Grovers for almost a year now diagnosed by biopsy. It seems to affect the upper back mostly with some on the chest and and slightly the neck. Symptoms were worse in winter.
I found two ways to control it, and now from my research I believe I have found the way to resolve it.

I hit on the way to control the itch quite quickly, which is to bath daily and using a back scrub belt dosed with head and shoulders shampoo as used to treat dandruff, by scrubbing the back for 5 minutes daly to remove the sebum oil from the skin.The active ingredient in the shampoo is pyrithione zinc.
I like others found daily doses of 800 to 1200 iu of vitamin d3 somewhat helped my tolerance of the itch.
These facts led me to conclude there was a similarity to dandruff. The active organism in dandruff is a naturally occurring yeast called malassezia globosa. There are a number of yeasts in that family which inhabit skin in warm blooded animals and cause skin irritation.

I am now treating my Grovers as if it was a yeast infection.
Malassezia yeasts thrive on sebum oil, which corresponds to the area of the irritation. Daily
Cleansing as described with head and shoulders shampoo, and maintaining higher skin acidity by using a 25percent vinagre topical wipe on my skin are now reducing and stopping the irritation and my skin is healing.
I read that oral dosing with either itraconazol or ketaconazol can kill the yeast irritation. I haven't tried these because the yeast is a naturally occurring organism on our skin it will return, so I prefer daily control. However they are an option you may discuss with your doctor.

I hope that others will follow my ideas and find them helpful. For me it has changed my life understanding what is the cause of this intolerable itch and now being able to control it, prevent the itching, and allowing my skin to heal.

Kind regards
Iain

Offline Paul W G

• Registered member
« Reply #1926 on: Monday August 07, 2017, 06:37:58 PM »
Greetings from New Zealand and hello to you all. Thank you to all the past and present contributions to this forum. When you are suffering with acute GD and very little sleep for weeks this forum is fantastic. Having GD for two years now it turned acute about two months ago. After following all the advise from fellow members i came to the conclusion that i had mercury poisoning as i eat huge amounts of fish. Two weeks ago i eliminated all fish dairy alcohol. This made no difference to my GD. I booked in to see my Naturopath to see if he could do something for the Mercury. This man is 80 and in fantastic health. He had never heard of Grovers and did not even look at it. He looked in my eyes at my hands and said he doubted that i had mercury poisoning and said that my body was highly acidic and dehydrated. He believed i had a mineral deficency and my face showed high stress. He put me on two homeopathic products fro NEW ERA. A number 3 calc/sulph and a number 10 nat/phos supplements. I went home and looked up cronic acidity in your body and found that plain old baking soda in water is the cheapest cure. Well four days on and last nite i slept for 8 hours. The first time in two months. My body is covered in tiny scabs from sores that are drying out and healing. It is clear that everyone is different and GD comes out for different reasons but if any of this infomation can help anyone suffering then i will be very pleased. 

Regards

Paul

Offline djdmjd

• Registered member
« Reply #1927 on: Thursday August 10, 2017, 04:15:35 PM »
Greetings from New Zealand and hello to you all. Thank you to all the past and present contributions to this forum. When you are suffering with acute GD and very little sleep for weeks this forum is fantastic. Having GD for two years now it turned acute about two months ago. After following all the advise from fellow members i came to the conclusion that i had mercury poisoning as i eat huge amounts of fish. Two weeks ago i eliminated all fish dairy alcohol. This made no difference to my GD. I booked in to see my Naturopath to see if he could do something for the Mercury. This man is 80 and in fantastic health. He had never heard of Grovers and did not even look at it. He looked in my eyes at my hands and said he doubted that i had mercury poisoning and said that my body was highly acidic and dehydrated. He believed i had a mineral deficency and my face showed high stress. He put me on two homeopathic products fro NEW ERA. A number 3 calc/sulph and a number 10 nat/phos supplements. I went home and looked up cronic acidity in your body and found that plain old baking soda in water is the cheapest cure. Well four days on and last nite i slept for 8 hours. The first time in two months. My body is covered in tiny scabs from sores that are drying out and healing. It is clear that everyone is different and GD comes out for different reasons but if any of this infomation can help anyone suffering then i will be very pleased. 

Regards

Paul
How much baking soda to how much water please?
DD

Offline Maestrofred

• Registered member
« Reply #1928 on: Saturday August 26, 2017, 06:13:18 PM »
I just ordered some t-shirts from Thompson Tees, who are promoting undershirts that keep you from sweating and perspiring.  I am hoping that these will keep me dryer and have a reduction in Grover outbreaks.  I have found that I cannot use deodorant because when I do, I break out.  I have various deodorants that are supposed to be safe for sensitive skin, but after a few days I break out with a rash in my armpits.

I have also purchased a few Artic Cool shirts and they not only keep me cooler but they also help control my Grovers.  I always wear one when I cut the grass and I don't break out anymore while cutting the lawn.  (Sorry if this sounds like a commercial, but if these products can help it will be worth sharing my experiences with all of you).

Offline cathie

• Registered member
« Reply #1929 on: Saturday September 23, 2017, 08:03:24 AM »
I have just been diagnosed and the itch is insane at night.  I don't eat much gluten but I'm willing to try gluten free.  I live in Australia and I noticed a new member recently also developed grover's.  I'm 64 and also have Actinic Porokeratosis.

Offline Iain

• Registered member
« Reply #1930 on: Wednesday September 27, 2017, 03:42:20 PM »
When I last wrote earlier my approach to dealing with Grovers disease I was nearing a complete solution which I am very relieved to find has taken place. All the treatments I outlined were effective for treating Grovers disease symptoms.
Grovers disease is a fungal condition albeit conventional Medicine has not spent enough time researching it to specify this. As I wrote earlier I was tackling its symptoms which greatly relieved the unsightly skin problem together with relieving the intolerable itching for long periods.
The cure came from further enhancing the anti fungal approach. I started self prescribe treatment with fluconazole at 150mg once per day for 8 weeks and swabbing affected areas of skin on my back and chest with undiluted apple vinegar once per day. At around 7 weeks treatment I started to wet a small towel with undiluted apple cider vinegar and leave it on my back during the day. Repeated for two days to kill any surface funguses. From then onwards I was able to discontinue the use of Apple cider vinegar, but if you need to continue with it because yours hasn't subsided at seven weeks feel free to continue with swabbing or towelling with undiluted apple cider vinegar. Neither damage the skin.
As fungal conditions are notoriously likely to reoccur I have continued with fluconazole to ten weeks and my skin is clear and healed and smaller itching irritations on my neck, ears and forehead have disappeared and healed also without the need for swabbing with apple cider vinegar. All itching has gone and the skin is all normal.
Do continue with daily 150mg oral fluconazole for at least two to three weeks after all symptoms disappear to ensure no reoccurrence.
In common with many others I attribute the illness to a reduction in my immune systems resistance probably from stress at work, a reduction of my skins natural skin protective acidity level, and perhaps candida leakage from the gut into my body causing the spots and probably with malassezia over infection opportunistically feeding on the sebum in the areas of skin depleted of their usual acid protection.
Whichever is you case, Grovers responds to longer term anti fungal treatments. I wish everyone else who follows these procedures I oulined success and the complete relief from itching and the cure they desperately seek.
Kind Regards
IAIN

Offline dannyfc

• Registered member
« Reply #1931 on: Sunday October 01, 2017, 07:11:43 AM »
Hi all

It's remiss of me not to have visited the forum for ages as it gave me the answer to my problem . Tom A, golf boy and a lady whose name I cannot remember posted some excellent stuff and talked a lot of sense. Unfortunately on forums such as this it can get lost in the wash, as there are lots of posts from people who mean very well, but unfortunately are going down blind alleys or don't have grovers disease.

I will summaries my story and if it helps one that's a positive...

1. I was diagnosed with grovers disease 2013 by bi-op in Nuffield hospital Cheltenham 2013. Please note you can only have grovers definitively confirmed by bi-op, nothing else. I also had dermatitis...I was 49.
2. Unfortunately for me my condition was deteriorating rapidly. My conditions, spots covering nearly all my back as well as part of front torso, also on legs.  Memory loss,mood swings,extreme fatigue and worse of all two blackouts in public.
3. The drugs I were taking, which are talked about a lot on here were having no effect my symptoms were getting worse and I was genuinely worried they were becoming life threatening.
4. I spent the whole weekend on the internet and mainly on this forum reading the posts. At that time I read all posts at least 3 times.
5. From the three people I mentioned on the forum the theory of mercury poisoning came up, then the name dr Paul dantzig , professor at Colombia NYC .
6. I was straight on the phone to him and flew to see him twice. In Jan 2014 he put some stuff in my body and two main tests, urine and blood. My urine samples showed him the second highest Mercury readings he had seen.
7. He was brilliant and calmed me down by saying he had treated thousands with over 90 per cent success rate, I would be no different.
8. He also said something that scared me. In certain individuals he links grovers to Mercury and Mercury to dementia. Some of the symptoms I was displaying he thought would lead to the rapid onset of that disease and I may not have lasted 5 years.
9. Three actions, the drug chelation two courses, it binds round your organs and pulls the Mercury out..second all Mercury fillings out (50 percent of the composite is Mercury),no fish for rest of my life.
10. I had five Mercury fillings, two very large, two had split. All were taken out by private dentist in Feb 2014 and replaced by porcelain. As an aside when Tim was taking them out he had what looked like a World War Two gas mask on, so did his assistant. He put my departing filings into a cylinder that had smoke coming out of it and sealed lock tight shut....I said these things were in my mouth!!...he gave me a knowing look and said he was in the dental industry but has never recommended these types of amalgams..

March 2014 all physical and non physical symptoms gone and my skin also looks very different, much younger. Today not one spot or symptom of those terrible times in 2012,13,14.

I believe that....
 I had the disease for a number of years, possibly as early as 15 years previous. I believe and Dantzig told me that it was degenerative as you get older, sun makes it worse. I was particularly vulnerable to it hence my problems. Dantzig can cure the vast majority of sufferers. The truth I don't think will ever come out due to the vested interests of the dental and fish industries.

I hope this helps a few and thanks again to the people I mentioned earlier because without them and this forum I would not have been cured..

Best

Danny

Offline TomA

« Reply #1932 on: Monday October 09, 2017, 09:16:26 PM »
Danny, thanks for your kind words. We're just in this all together, and it's good to have a place to share our experiences. I trust your healing will continue.

Iain, in an earlier post you suspected a yeast infection, in this latest post you're now saying it's fungus related. From whatever cause, it sounds like you are finding relief and that's a good thing. I hope it continues. I've started experimenting with unfiltered apple cider vinegar and I'll let everyone know how it works. Getting the smell past my wife is the first challenge, but she's not complaining too loudly so far. I think I may be finding some benefits at this point, but it's too early to say at this point.

TomA