Author Topic: Red circular rash on upper arm  (Read 9509 times)

Offline jlfodor

• Registered member
  • Registered SkinCell Member
Red circular rash on upper arm
« on: Friday March 21, 2003, 06:46:03 PM »
Hi everyone.  I'm just trying to gather information on a skin condition I developed about 3 months ago.  I woke up one morning and found red spots on the inside of my arms.  Some 1mm in size up to the size of a quarter.  The characteristics of the spots are circular or ring shaped with very little damage to the inside of the spot.  The ring is quite red when taking a shower but lightens up considerably after 1 hour.  some of the spots are complete red as well.  The reddened parts eventually heal but up until that point they are slightly scaly. They do not have any discharge.  Have seen one doctor and a steroid ointment was prescribed to help heal them.  They are not itchy but after they heal they leave a pretty good scar.  The scar seams to have broken down the elasticity of the skin.  The skin looks wrinkly in the scar area.  Also there is a slight discoloration in the scaring.  The spotting has began to spread to behind my knees, upper thigh and a few areas on my back.  I had a swab taken from my doctor as well as a biopsy taken from the back of my leg..Nothing has shown up on the test results.  The doctor even gave me a prescription for pericillin to see if that would cure it.  

Any ideas as to what this could be.  I am booked into a dermatologist for the middle of April.  It would be nice to solve this as my skin is being more damaged day after day.  Is there any questions that I should ask him?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.  Also is there any websites to look at with photos that I could compare what I have.  Something like medical journals.   :)

Offline Val

• SkinCell Friend
  • Golden GasBag
  • Mmmmm ! The Weird One I am !
Re:Red circular rash on upper arm
« Reply #1 on: Friday March 21, 2003, 08:38:29 PM »
 :hi: jlfodor,

Firstly welcome to our forum  ;D

I'm sorry that I can't tell you what these spots are. The fact that you're seeing a derm soon is good, they should be able to give you at least an idea what they are, and after a few tests tell you for sure. Most family doctors do not have the same training in skin conditions, that is usually why you will get referred to a derm. There are so many different kinds of skin conditions, some of which show similar symptoms, that is why it is so difficult to tell which one you have.

Try to moisturise as much as possible, to limit the damage caused. An un-perfumed moisturiser is the best sort to use, and using it straight after a shower is also a good idea.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but please keep us informed as to how you're doing. We are a bit of a crazy bunch round here, but we do try to give each other as much support as we can.

Looking forward to getting to know you better, through your posts.

:hug:

Offline Nick

• SkinCell Friend
  • SkinCell buddy
    • SkinCell
« Reply #2 on: Friday March 21, 2003, 09:45:55 PM »
Hi there jl

Welcome to the forum :hi:

We've had a few reports recently of symptoms very similar to what you describe. Check out

http://www.skincell.org/yabbse/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=1786

and

http://www.skincell.org/yabbse/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=1789

They may help shed some light on things for you if they seem familiar :)
If not then see if you can describe the problem in terms of size and nature and hopefully we'll be able to help throw some light on the problem. What ever happens, just don't feel that you're on your own with it :hug: We're all in the same boat here ;)

As for images, Fortunately we are a favoured link from one of the best there is, John Hopkins University

You can find them at http://dermatlas.med.jhmi.edu/derm/

also you could have a look at

http://www.dermnetnz.org/index.html

I hope that everything goes well with your derm visit, please be sure to let us know how you get on with it

Offline Cazzie

« Reply #3 on: Saturday March 22, 2003, 03:32:51 AM »
Hi jlfodor,

I have nothing more to add- Nick and Val are right on the money. But I have to say that your description of your skin disorder is very specific, which is great. Write down all the symptons to take to your Derm. Sometimes you can forget to describe all the symptons to your Derm when magically the condition appears to have cleared up a little on the day you see them.

Also, keep a little diary just to keep tabs on anything that may be irritating or even causing the condition- related to creams your using, your diet, reaction to sun, reaction to clothing your wearing. Have you changed anything lately? Any stressful events in your life? Just a thought to help you figure it out before you see your Derm.

Hope it gets better for you soon. Keep us posted on how your doing!

Offline Fishs

• Registered member
  • GasBag - P.I.
  • The Voice Of Reason ...
    • Fish's web Site
« Reply #4 on: Saturday March 22, 2003, 04:53:01 AM »
 :hi:

Hello there  jl  welcome along to the forum.

Yes  the others have given excellent advice so far and i would psoosibly look at one of the variants of a skin condition called   "Keratosis"

This condition manifests itself in many forms and by what you say I would have a look in that area. Ask the Doc or Derm to check it out .

Cazzie has some very good advice  about writing down the symptoms and keeping a diary on the trigger and irritant factors. Note down any changes and so on after showering and when it seems to be more evident..

Please feel free to ask questions and  more folk will add further info for you.

Hope that helps.

Fish
« Last Edit: Saturday March 22, 2003, 04:56:27 AM by fishs »
If it's going to be  It's up to me ..

Offline jlfodor

• Registered member
« Reply #5 on: Monday March 24, 2003, 05:39:56 AM »
Thanks for the information.  I'll keep checking out those web sites.  When I find out any thing I will let you know.

Offline Nick

• SkinCell Friend
  • SkinCell buddy
    • SkinCell
« Reply #6 on: Monday March 24, 2003, 03:09:30 PM »
Good luck with the hunt JL,

Half of the battle is working out what it is we are fighting.
What ever it may be though, don't ever feel that you're on your own :shake:

We're all glad to help in any way we can :nod: :bighug:

Offline jlfodor

• Registered member
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday June 24, 2003, 01:25:59 PM »
Since I last spoke to you guys I've been rather lucky.  My derm prescribed a skin moisturizer with pertrolatum and beeswax in to help with the dry skin.  I also asked what could be used to help beef up the skin's immune fighting properties and she said eat lots of fish.  Me not being a fan of fish opted to talk to a herbalist.  He suggested cold pressed salmon oil along with flaxseed oil.  I was taking 6 pills a day and after about 2 months the symptoms disappeared.  The derm figured that I may have compromised the dermis as I was working around bleach for a short period of time about 2 months prior to my skin disorder developing.  So I guess this story has a happy ending.   :) ;) :D
Thanks for your help

Offline Nick

• SkinCell Friend
  • SkinCell buddy
    • SkinCell
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday June 24, 2003, 02:56:58 PM »
JL, Hi again :hi:

Now that IS good news :clap:
Maybe a few of us should have a try of cold pressed salmon oil too ?

Thanks for the tip JL :up:

Offline Val

• SkinCell Friend
  • Golden GasBag
  • Mmmmm ! The Weird One I am !
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday June 24, 2003, 04:27:06 PM »

Great news JL :clap:

That 'T' word really isn't needed here. ;)  
We're all very happy to help and getting the result you have is all the 'T' we need. ;D

Good luck for the future and never forget completely the problem you had. We need as many "clear skinned" people that can understand what we go through, as we can. ;)

:hug:

Offline afff

• Registered member
« Reply #10 on: Thursday July 10, 2003, 02:48:48 AM »
Hello

I am brand new to this forum.
My wife and I are getting quite concerned about our 8 year old daughter.
She developed something similar to "jlfodor" except it is located on her inner thigh.
It started out what appeared to be a pimple with a white head and is now larger than the size of a quarter. The derm does not know what it is ( he has ruled out ringworm)
He perscribed 3 different creams to apply at 2 week intervals if the previous one does not work.
If these creams do not work he suggested a biopsy.
This red spot appears to be growing and is not itchy.
Sometimes there is scale on it but for the most part it just looks "raw" with no scale.
A smaller spot appeared on one of her labia the same time the one on her leg started. This spot appears less red and is more of a stain or birth mark ( not raw looking ).
She has been burdened with a rash surrounded her anus for several years now, for which we apply a cortizone cream.
This appears very red at times and is sore as well.
Her GP thought perhaps it was a hygeine problem.
Even after daily baths this anul rash does not go away.
We would appreciate any comments or suggestions.
Thanking you in advance.

Offline juliep

• SkinCell Grand
  • Foster Mum
  • PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF SKINCELL
« Reply #11 on: Thursday July 10, 2003, 06:18:11 PM »
Hi afff

re your little girls rash around her anus. It may be possible that this is due to her stools being acidic. This can cause the anal area to become sore and excoriated. Have you tried a cream such as zinc and castor oil - usually used for babies with nappy rash. Allso look at her diet - lots of acidic foods may be the culprit here, such as orange juice, peppers, spicy foods. Some children have immature guts that are more sensitive to acidic foods and have difficulty in digesting certain substances.

I think using cortisone cream for a prolonged length of time is a bad idea in any case.

Hope you find an answer for her other skin problems

julie
its only me - Juliep