Author Topic: Does your E itch more at night?  (Read 19507 times)

Offline Alohamora

• SkinCell God
Does your E itch more at night?
« on: Monday January 09, 2006, 03:26:43 PM »
I have pompholyx (dishidrotic eczema) and the worst outbreaks of blisters and itching have been in the middle of the night.

Does your E itch more at night?

Does anyone know why?

I have one thought on this but I'd like to hear from others before I mention my half-baked idea.

You are what you eat.

Offline totalfolly

• Retired Moderator
  • Crazy Cat Hero
  • I yam what I yam
Re: Does your E itch more at night?
« Reply #1 on: Monday January 09, 2006, 03:39:22 PM »
I think it's just more noticable at night because we're not distracted by things that go on when we're awake and active.

That's my half-baked theory, and I'm sticking to it!  ;D

totalfolly

"If you hear a voice within you say 'You cannot paint'
then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced."
 -- Vincent vanGogh

Offline erikaggedert

• FREE FROM ECZEMA I am living again :)
« Reply #2 on: Monday January 09, 2006, 05:28:41 PM »
my itches WAY more at night ..I asked my homeopathic Doctor why ...he said E symptoms like other deceases ,come in waves and night is when they get worst ...he said

Offline MarieC

• SkinCell Grand
  • Fa Shizzle
« Reply #3 on: Monday January 09, 2006, 08:03:36 PM »
Yeah, I hate it, I'm having a flare up right now, and it's waking me up at night more then usual, ugh. It makes me feel totally sleep deprived, being woken up a few times a night.

I agree with you Tf! :)

Offline itchychick

• Global Moderator
  • Peachy Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: Monday January 09, 2006, 08:52:00 PM »
I wake myself up by unconciously scratching at night.  TF's theory sounds good ;D

I've also noticed I get really itchy as soon as I take off my day clothes.... it's almost as if I need to scratch the day off!!! Anyone else feel this?

Offline james_r

« Reply #5 on: Monday January 09, 2006, 09:02:50 PM »
itchychick try staying in a sleeping bag all day (oh holidays are great)  ;D i also agreee very much wioth TF theory as i also posted the same idea on another thread before i even saw this post.

bunnie

« Reply #6 on: Monday January 09, 2006, 09:10:45 PM »
Same here.It almost is a kind of dread. I am totally fed up of getting up during the night To bathe and cool down,And on most occassions changing the sheets! :-[

Offline MarieC

• SkinCell Grand
  • Fa Shizzle
« Reply #7 on: Monday January 09, 2006, 09:23:29 PM »
I've also noticed I get really itchy as soon as I take off my day clothes.... it's almost as if I need to scratch the day off!!! Anyone else feel this?

Yes, I usually get like this after work. :-[ It feels kinda good in a way, it's like I'm destressing or something  ???

Offline Alohamora

• SkinCell God
« Reply #8 on: Monday January 09, 2006, 09:42:38 PM »
Well, mine definately comes and goes, not just that I'm not noticing it all the time.

Anyway, here's my halfa theory why: I think it flares up when our body temperature declines as we go into deep sleep phases. And as our body systems go into slow-down they aren't fighting whatever is irritating us as well.

Ok, so my last biology class was 30 years ago. ;D  ;D
You are what you eat.

Gobe

« Reply #9 on: Tuesday January 10, 2006, 11:52:16 AM »
Yes my E itches more at night as well. 

Offline Lozicle

• SkinCell Grand
  • of Goth
  • Turquoise!!
    • My Space Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday January 10, 2006, 03:35:13 PM »

Mine does that ! I think it's because the air is getting to parts of your skin that have been covered all day.
That's usually the time when I go mad with scratching.

My *E is a little worse at night but more so when I get too hot under the covers. Oh and last night when I woke up scratching myself to pieces because I'd had a bad dream  :-[

Offline itchychick

• Global Moderator
  • Peachy Sunshine
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday January 10, 2006, 09:02:40 PM »
Aww  :hugs: Loz!  I woke up last night cuz my husband had the song "Funky Town" in his head, and felt he had to share it with me at 3 am! ::)

itchychick try staying in a sleeping bag all day

Sounds heavenly!

Offline Lozicle

• SkinCell Grand
  • of Goth
  • Turquoise!!
    • My Space Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday January 11, 2006, 09:17:07 AM »
Aww  :hugs: Loz!  I woke up last night cuz my husband had the song "Funky Town" in his head, and felt he had to share it with me at 3 am! ::)

:lol: :laugh: :roll: Sorry but that's hilarious! Sure it wasn't too funny at the time though :lol:

Offline Alexachell2003

« Reply #13 on: Wednesday January 11, 2006, 12:25:48 PM »
Oh my God, yes - whenever I have a flare up it is a thousand times worse at night!!  I get it behind my knees and occassionally on my nipple - God, when I get it there it is really bad at night and I find myself running off to the bathroom and scratching like mad so I won't wake my boyfriend up.  But I have no explanation as to why it is worst at night, all I know is my Doc is always telling me to use my creams at night cos it is a common fact that eczema is worse at night.

And itchychick - I am exactly the same when I take my clothes off, I just want to itch everywhere - strange - maybe its when the air gets to your skin, it irritates it??
Alex

Offline james_r

« Reply #14 on: Wednesday January 11, 2006, 04:11:01 PM »
And itchychick - I am exactly the same when I take my clothes off, I just want to itch everywhere - strange - maybe its when the air gets to your skin, it irritates it??

i find i get that aswell when the air gets to my face it irratates it and stings my lips because they get scaely aswell allthough this only happens after i peel off the scaleing and before the new scale starts to grow and all i do is just wrap a towel round my face until my skin gets a layer of flakes again.

Offline itchychick

• Global Moderator
  • Peachy Sunshine
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday January 11, 2006, 09:27:13 PM »

:lol: :laugh: :roll: Sorry but that's hilarious! Sure it wasn't too funny at the time though :lol:

Actually, Loz, it was funny even then!  That and he started quoting from a show our kids watch.  We're still laughing about it days later!! :crazy: :lol:

Offline Alohamora

• SkinCell God
« Reply #16 on: Saturday January 14, 2006, 04:46:52 PM »
Wow, this is really driving me crazy.

For the last few days I've been watching my diet very carefully and it seemed like my skin was healing during the days. But BAM, overnight it gets worse. Last night I woke up at 3AM with itchy little blisters again. Now, mid day, the blisters are all but gone and I'm left with just very dry flaky spots that seem like they could start healing.

I wish I coud figure out if it's a metabolic difference (hot/cold body temperature) or of there's something I'm doing ( food? lotion? ) that shows up as a problem 6 to 8 hours later? I thought most food problems were showing up moe quickly than that, like just a few hours.

Eh, sorry for the rambling....

You are what you eat.

Offline james_r

« Reply #17 on: Saturday January 14, 2006, 09:48:43 PM »
i find that to with it getting worse over night but i think its basicly cos you cant moisturize yourself in your sleep.

Offline Alohamora

• SkinCell God
« Reply #18 on: Sunday January 15, 2006, 01:52:07 AM »
Oh oh.  :o

I just read on some other site that a possible reason for more itching at night is bed mites or dust mites! 

I have no idea how valid that is, but thought I'd post it just in case anyone with atopic eczema wants to research the issue further.

They say that encasing the matress & pillows in plastic or hypoallergenic covers is a good idea for anyone with dust mite allergies.

You are what you eat.

Offline Daisey

• SkinCell Grand
  • of Little Angels
« Reply #19 on: Sunday January 15, 2006, 03:21:12 AM »
Best wishes to all !! hope everyone gets to be itchy free soon at night

:) Daisey
Life is a wonderful journey, enjoy every day, be thankful for love, & live for the moment! :-)

Offline kamii

• Registered SkinCell Member
« Reply #20 on: Sunday January 15, 2006, 08:39:52 AM »
Hmm i'm not sure if my E gets more itchy at night or my level of self control has just sunken.  I find myself scratching my own neck without really realising it, and then after a while a realise and know i'm in for it the next day so i try to stop.  This has been going on for as long as i've had E.  When i get flare ups i just can't sleep.  Body parts don't really matter, but if my face, neck or ears get E than i won't be getting much sleep.  Last night i went to sleep at about half past twelve, i was lying in bed for hours and when i got up to go to the toilet i realised it was quarter to four.  Alot of the time, when flare ups are really bad, i get to sleep just after dawn.  After i've been lying in bed doing nothing, occassionaly scratching, for close to 6 hours. :(

Offline Daisey

• SkinCell Grand
  • of Little Angels
« Reply #21 on: Sunday January 15, 2006, 08:11:38 PM »
aww sry Kamii :bighug:

Daisey
Life is a wonderful journey, enjoy every day, be thankful for love, & live for the moment! :-)

Offline _Alison_

• SkinCell God
  • Cairo to the left and Neo to the right
« Reply #22 on: Sunday January 15, 2006, 10:03:02 PM »
What can I say but a big huge YES

Some nights I can't get to sleep for scratching and when I do get to sleep, I waken up scratching.

Offline Daisey

• SkinCell Grand
  • of Little Angels
« Reply #23 on: Monday January 16, 2006, 02:27:35 AM »
i'm sorry Alison :hugs:

Daisey

Offline Bunny

• Registered member
« Reply #24 on: Monday January 16, 2006, 05:22:57 AM »
two nights ago I went to bed at 2am and I fell asleep at dawn.. I spent te entire night itching...and I know i only got sleep because I was too sore and tired.

This has been happening for a while so I guess E does itch more at night.

(it couldnt be dust mites coz my maid changes my sheets everymorning and the rookm is cleaned well.

A point to be noted though is that i itch less when the AC is turned off.

Offline _Alison_

• SkinCell God
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday January 17, 2006, 12:18:36 PM »
Going back to theories, my doc says that it probably itches more at night because you're all cosy and relaxed in bed.  The heat in bed probably makes it itch more - well I know mine itches more when I'm warm.

I guess that's the same theory as TF's.

Offline Alohamora

• SkinCell God
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday January 17, 2006, 04:39:19 PM »
Yes, I  think it is very much related to temperature. 

I think my skin also heals better when it is kept warm, especially at night. This is sort of the opposite of what I felt a few days ago, but then my hand was inflamed and getting blisters. I think my diet has that under control right now, so my hands are in more of a healing phase and now warmth makes them feel better.

« Last Edit: Tuesday January 17, 2006, 04:43:11 PM by Alohamora »
You are what you eat.

Offline Amethia

• Registered member
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday January 17, 2006, 08:21:21 PM »
I've woken up quite a few times in the night with my feet in an itching frenzy and it's kept me awake for ages. I normally end up running them under a cold tap until they go numb, putting my creams on & then hopefully getting back to sleep!

I find I itch more late at night and first thing in the morning too.

Offline rosycheeks

• Registered member
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday January 18, 2006, 12:57:25 PM »
 Gosh This E sounds dreadful and thankfully I dont Have, Has anyone tried alternate treatment such as biophoto for this ? I know some posters use Dermlux for acne and Myself I Love My Laserwand Bella i use for acne and wrinkles but it seems to smooth skin , also adding EMU oil which is great moisturizer may help  I dunno just a suggestion

Offline james_r

« Reply #29 on: Wednesday January 18, 2006, 04:36:00 PM »
yeah i find myself itching lots at night aswell allthough i find my scalp is worse then my E usually because it doesnt take as much to set it off and i havent got something to relive it yet  :-\

Offline _Alison_

• SkinCell God
« Reply #30 on: Thursday January 19, 2006, 03:58:33 PM »
I was given Atarax to take at bedtime for the itching, but apart from knocking me comatose, it did absolutely nothing for the itching.  I was told I could have taken a higher dose, but it made me so sleepy and dozey that I didn't want to risk taking any more.

Oh, yeah, and even though I was near unconscious with it, I was still rubbing my feet together in my sleep trying to scratch them!!

Offline Lozicle

• SkinCell Grand
  • of Goth
  • Turquoise!!
    • My Space Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday January 19, 2006, 04:21:45 PM »
I was prescribed Atarax Alison, it didn't help with my itching either, but it made me so evil for the whole day after I took it. Altered my moods completely - and I did take it on a number of occassions to make sure it was the tablets and not just me ! :lol: They made me so foul and upon reading the leaflet that comes with it they are also used for treating anxiety and mood disorders ! Shouldn't that have been mentioned when I was prescribed it ? I won't touch it again.