Author Topic: Aloe Vera gel stings!?  (Read 56206 times)

Offline Alohamora

• SkinCell God
Aloe Vera gel stings!?
« on: Friday January 06, 2006, 11:17:18 PM »
Hi there folks,

I've recently developed eczema on my hands (pompholyx) and it seems to get worse when I eat high nickel foods like chocolate and nuts.  I'm trying to avoid the foods that trouble me the most, but I keep running in to problems as it seems nearly everything I usually eat has nickel in it.

I've used Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera gel for years for soothing dry skin and like the way it seems to help cmall cuts and scratches heal quickly. I was using it on the crudy stuff on my hands but suddenly it's starting to sting sometimes.  I don't get it, this must mean something, but I haven't a clue what. Does anyone know why?   

I guess I need to look for something else to use on my hands, but I am allergic to fragrences so many of the normal lotions are no good for me either.  :(

You are what you eat.

Offline _Alison_

• SkinCell God
  • Cairo to the left and Neo to the right
Re: Aloe Vera gel stings!?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday January 07, 2006, 12:22:23 AM »
I have PPP which is on the same lines as the pompholyx and I find that even plain old water causes the cracks and cuts to sting like mad, so it might not actually be the aloe vera that's causing it.

Is it itching or burning or anything that would suggest an allergic reaction?

I apply a very basic moisturiser called Double Base very frequently and for about 15 minutes or so after application, my eyes are watering cos my feet are stinging so bad, but then it subsides.

It could just be the fact that you have open cuts that's causing the stinging.

Hopefully it is.

Offline Alohamora

• SkinCell God
« Reply #2 on: Saturday January 07, 2006, 03:41:15 AM »
Allergy.

Ahh, that sounds more plausible that anything else I was thinking about.

If I hurry and wash off the gel the stinging stops sooner than if I do nothing.  Although the burning/stinging/redness only happens on the already damaged skin, I can still use the gel on my legs and feet for instance. But, to be safe I'll stop that for now until this gets sorted out.
You are what you eat.

Offline Stevo

• Registered member
« Reply #3 on: Saturday January 07, 2006, 06:23:49 AM »
]I have a small patch of eczema on my hands as well. I use triamcinolone on the affected area as well as a moisturizer(aquaphor).  Two times a day. Best after showers when pores are clearly open. Eventually I stopped with the steroid cream and used moisturizer. I have been lucky and the eczema on the hands have subsided.
Lord, I hope today is a good day.

Offline Alohamora

• SkinCell God
« Reply #4 on: Saturday January 21, 2006, 03:37:47 PM »
I had a pm from someone who has a confirmed allergy to aloe vera.  Her symptoms sound like what I had, swelling, redness and irritation from the AV gel.  I guess after years of using (overusing?) the stuff I developed a sensitivity.

You are what you eat.

Offline sHauN26

« Reply #5 on: Saturday January 21, 2006, 08:19:56 PM »
yea that happens, i heard u can develop a rash if u been using aloe vera for a long period of time

Offline Bamawing

• Administrator
  • Administrative Bleeper!
  • Token Nutcase :D
« Reply #6 on: Sunday January 29, 2006, 06:13:23 PM »
Hate to hear that, Alohamora. I know jsut how pompholyx feels. ::)
I'm more confused than a mood ring on a paranoid bipolar schizophrenic chameleon in a bag of skittles!

Offline aenigma

• Registered member
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday February 22, 2006, 01:37:59 AM »
Cutemol is a really thick moisturizer that's very soothing and made for people like us. It's the only thing that's kept my hands from falling apart on more than one occasion. You can order it directly from www.sumlab.com.
======================================================

In lust with Scandinavia. Avid role player. Lover of video games. Obsessed with power metal, black metal and death metal. Disenchanted call center rep.

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
  • The best medicine is caring and affection.
    • Eureka Ideas Unlimited, Anthropositor's Posts,   To Obama
« Reply #8 on: Saturday March 04, 2006, 10:16:12 PM »
Hi Alohamora,

Many of these products include preservatives and other chemicals which can complicate things.  My feeling is, try slicing off a chunk of the aloe vera cactus and using it fresh.  For me it affords some relief for burns and bites.  I have never used a commercial aloe vera product, but I would be uneasy about any such which stings.  It has not been my experience that aloe vera stings.  The sting may be coming from some additive.

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." Chinese Proverb.

"What all men speak well of, look critically into; what all men condemn examine first before you decide"-- Confucius

Pray to the Gods, for the Gods are not unless you pray to them.--Don Marquis

Offline Alohamora

• SkinCell God
« Reply #9 on: Sunday March 05, 2006, 12:13:47 AM »
You have a good point, Anthropositor.

I think it must be tied in to my nickel "allergy" though, since both the nickel sensitivity and this stinging started at nearly the same time.

I could try to track down the nickel content of all the ingredients to see which is the culprit. Or, I could just give up and continue using my coconut oil instead.   ;D

You are what you eat.

Offline electric_ian

• SkinCell Friend
  • Generator
  • Registered SkinCell Member
« Reply #10 on: Thursday March 09, 2006, 12:07:43 PM »
We have a couple of Aloe Vera plants and I just bent down to pick something up and got stabed with it... ???
I have been left with a cut just above my left eye,I was lucky it did not go in my Eye.
Ian ??? ???
There are only 3 type of people on this planet those who can count and those who can't

Offline Wooley

• Retired Moderator
    • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: Thursday March 09, 2006, 04:05:13 PM »
Oh E-Ian I bet that hurt  :hugs: hope your cut heals up soon.

Wooley

Offline electric_ian

• SkinCell Friend
  • Generator
  • Registered SkinCell Member
« Reply #12 on: Thursday March 09, 2006, 04:15:31 PM »
Well Woo I was sunbathing on the roof terrace and I just bent down to get my cigarettes when I did it...
Thought if I mentioned that I wouldn't of got any sympathy..
Ian ;)
There are only 3 type of people on this planet those who can count and those who can't

Celery Peach

« Reply #13 on: Thursday March 09, 2006, 04:31:19 PM »
aww there there Ian  ;)

* Celery Peach passes you the vineger and brown paper  :laugh:

seriously tho, I hope the cut isnt too bad ? you will have to get yourself a little table for next to your sun lounger  ;D

Offline Blue Bird

• SkinCell Grand
  • Lyricist
« Reply #14 on: Saturday March 11, 2006, 05:30:27 AM »
Alohamora> Look carefully at the ingredient of the "Fruit of The Earth" Aloe Vera Gel that you
had mentioned in your initial post regarding the "stinging" you felt after using it. It may have
menthol in it as some of the Aloe Vera gels contain menthol. That might certainly sting, although I suppose the idea is that if menthol is included and it rubbed on sunburn it would produce a cooling sensation.

However, you are not using it for sunburn You are using it for the relief of a a different skin disorder. Your system may be sensitive to whatever is in the ingredients. It could also have fragrance in it, and that could be the source of the stinging. Something other than pure aloe vera must be causing the stinging pain you are experiencing.

Could you please grab the container of Fruit of the Earth aloe vera gel and type in the ingredients?
We could possibly analyze the different ingredients and could offer suggestions.
 My next thought for your well being is to advise you to ask for pure aloe vera gel. It should be colorless. It will be more expensive than the Fruit of the Earth brand. (Not trying to sound snobbish, I am actually sitting here with a bottle of "Fruit of the Earth Vitamin E with naturals gel") It says on the label that it "contains no alcohol".  I found some other ingredients besides water, and aloe vera gel. For instance it also contains Vitamin E, Honey, chomomile, golden seal, calendula, and other herbs. Good enough, but, then at the end it also contains some odd ingredients: Fragrance, Trethanolamine, DMDM Hydantoin, Carbomer 940, Diazolidinyl Urea, and Yellow #6  and #5. So, besides the herbs and vitamins in this gel I have,there are some questionable things.

Dear Alohamora: analyze those things present in your brand of aloe vera. Someone else mentioned buying a real live aloe vera plant and using it fresh. That is a wonderful idea possibly the best idea, really , in order to avoid the added artificial ingredients in so many of the aloe vera gels.

Best wishes for your good health and happiness

When we understand that there is no up without a down,no over without an under, no good without a bad, no light without dark, no hot without cold, no yes without a no, we understand wholeness, and we cease to be disturbed, distressed, or perplexed by the illusion of anything less than wholeness.

Offline Alohamora

• SkinCell God
« Reply #15 on: Saturday March 11, 2006, 01:21:13 PM »
It turned out that it wasn't only the Fruit of the Earth gel, I also had 3 other skin products containing aloe vera ( I used to really love the stuff! ) around and all 3 caused some redness. The only ingredient in common between all 4 products is the aloe vera.
You are what you eat.

Offline Blue Bird

• SkinCell Grand
  • Lyricist
« Reply #16 on: Sunday March 12, 2006, 01:58:37 AM »
 Aloha> Unless you use _pure_ aloe vera gel directly from the plant or in a container that states that it is Pure Aloe Vera gel, you may be deluding yourself.

Since all of the products you mentioned only contain aloe vera, it is NOT pure aloe vera gel.
The products, one of which you stated was the "Fruit of The Earth aloe vera gel", I read in the store today that it contains fragrance and other artificial ingredients. Most likely the other products you mentioned contain artificial and other added ingredients. That is what is probably causing your stinging feeling and you are not allowing yourself the right to relief from the pure aloe vera gel.

Apparently, the only way that you can find out if pure aloe vera gel is really causing the stinging sensation is to find a real aloe vera plant and squeeze the aloe vera from it. If it produces a soothing cool relief, then you will know that the added ingredients are causing your stinging sensation, and not your assumption that it must be the aloe vera, since it is in all of the products you used.

If, however, pure aloe vera does sting, (which most of us doubt it will), then and only then can you see for yourself for sure, if pure aloe vera actually does produce  a stinging sensation.

Your logic may be faulty, and you may be cheating yourself out of relief from the actual pure aloe vera gel. No one would want anyone to make a false assumption due to the facts that you have written on here. Don't sell yourself short. You aren't using the pure stuff.

(Example: just because the rooster crows when the sun rises , it does not mean that the rooster's crowing _ causes_ the sun to rise.)

In a spirit of friendship, with best wishes for your comfort and happiness

When we understand that there is no up without a down,no over without an under, no good without a bad, no light without dark, no hot without cold, no yes without a no, we understand wholeness, and we cease to be disturbed, distressed, or perplexed by the illusion of anything less than wholeness.

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
  • The best medicine is caring and affection.
    • Eureka Ideas Unlimited, Anthropositor's Posts,   To Obama
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday April 05, 2006, 07:25:00 AM »
Hi,
I just got a quart of what purports to be 99.7% Whole leaf Aloe Vera Juice (organic) about a week ago.  In an amber glass bottle.  It is a low viscosity clear liquid.  Waterlike, not a gel.  Other ingredients; citric acid,potassium sorbate, and sodium benzoate. Used by itself, it soaks readily into the skin leaving no apparent surface residue or sheen.  What was surprising to me was the liquidity.  The bottle claims no added water. $8 US.
Anthropositor
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." Chinese Proverb.

"What all men speak well of, look critically into; what all men condemn examine first before you decide"-- Confucius

Pray to the Gods, for the Gods are not unless you pray to them.--Don Marquis

Offline Aquababe241

• SkinCell God
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday October 29, 2013, 08:30:58 AM »
Hi there just to make a point...I normally use the Forever Living brand of aloe Vera gel. It makes my sensitive face sting. 

However, the fresh gel from the plant is soothing and kind to my face.  No sting at all.

Hope this helps someone.
It's really nice to be free, free to be me
I'd rather be free and happy
Than nobody and sad