Author Topic: hydrocortisone 1% or natural ways to prevent eczema  (Read 13708 times)

Offline sHauN26

hydrocortisone 1% or natural ways to prevent eczema
« on: Sunday September 11, 2005, 02:06:44 PM »
i am 16 turning 17 feburary. when i use hydrocortisone (1%) for my eczema, it works well  but as soon as i miss a day or i stop using it, my skin gets worse. should i stop using it or contiune using it?
 i also have questions for natural ways to help prevent eczema
1) how long should i shower? and should i use soap on the itchy parts like inside of the elbows or inside of the legs?
2) i have dry skin so i've been puting cethaphil lotion on for almost 8months but the drying never healed. how do i heal my dry skin?
3) how many times a day should i shower and what time(night,afternoon or morning)?
4) any tips to help me from not scratching.
5) any foods or vitamins/minerals i should eat/ stay away from?
thank you  :)

PS. i also notice that my skin is less red and dry during the afternoons then in the morning after i wash up
« Last Edit: Sunday September 11, 2005, 02:45:39 PM by sHauN26 »

Offline itchychick

• Global Moderator
  • Peachy Sunshine
Re: hydrocortisone 1% or natural ways to prevent eczema
« Reply #1 on: Sunday September 11, 2005, 05:09:27 PM »
Hi, welcome to SkinCell!

A couple of basic things you might try, that help me somewhat are:
- no soap on affected areas, unless it's a cleanser that's specifically made for irritated and atopic skin.
- I find shorter showers and baths are helpful, as often as you like to help with itchiness, as long as you moisturize right away.  Works best if the skin is still damp, and use something richer than Cetaphil, even plain ole Vaseline works well if you can stand the feeling.  Aveeno makes one for itchy dry skin that I really like, though it feels goopy.  The key is putting it on damp skin to lock in the water.
- Try adding essential fatty acids to your diet, especially Omega 3 (flax oil and salmon oil), and GLA (evening primrose oil or borage oil).  You can buy supplements at health food stores.
- Can't help you with the itching and not scratching... still wrestling with that one myself!!

Good luck :)

Offline KellyGrrl

« Reply #2 on: Sunday September 11, 2005, 06:40:27 PM »
Hey!
Well I don't really have answers to all your questions but I know other people here will!  I'm 23 and have had this problem all my life so I know how it feels to be 16 with this kind of skin!  Here are some tips that may help you.
Do you go to a dermatologist??????  They could help you alot.
Ok here are some tips.

1.  When you shower/bath use luke warm water, not hot!  Only use soap in your hairy areas.  Use a soap like Dove or Aveeno.  My doctor also got me into this product called Avene.  It's really great.  You put it in your bath and soak in it.  It helps put oil and moisture into your skin and it does help!
You also may want to get a filter for your shower head.  It will filter out the cholorine in your water and help your skin.  Shower as less as possible.

2. To help your dry skin the only real solution I have found is to just oil up.  Put lotion on constantly.  Cetaphil is good, but I use aveeno.  There is also a product not popular in the US but you can get it alot of places anyway called Noni.  It's a natural plant.  You can buy it in a drink form or lotion.  It tastes HORRIBLE! and is expensive.  My doctor told me to go to a health store and get an oil pill like "cod liver oil" and take it once a day.  This will help with the lotion by oiling your skin from the inside.

3.  I dont really have tips on not scratching.  I take Benadryl before I go to sleep to help me not scratch at night.  It will put you to sleep and its an allergy medicine so it helps with the night scratching.  BUt this is a question I need help with myself! 

4.  As for foods I asked this question once and alot of people told me to stay away from milk.  Since I have, I think it helps.  Also you might want to think about getting a humidifier for your room.  Make sure you dust alot.  And try not to be stressed.   Stress makes my skin flare up!!!  My doctor also told me to go outside 20 min a day and try to sit in the sun because it helps heal my skin.

Hope I was of some help.  You can feel free to message me for support or more questions and like I said I'm sure alot more people on this board will be able to give you better advice! They always have helped me a great deal! 
Goodluck!

~Kelly

Offline sHauN26

« Reply #3 on: Sunday September 11, 2005, 07:10:01 PM »
thanks u guys  ;D
yea kelly i've heard that 20mins of sun 3 times a week is very good for your skin becuase it makes a certain vitamin (i forgot which one) in ur skin.
both of u seem to like aveeno over cethphil, ill try aveeno from now on. i'll take all ur advices thanks so much

Offline itchychick

• Global Moderator
  • Peachy Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: Sunday September 11, 2005, 09:19:31 PM »
Definately try getting some sun.  I've found that helps me too.

Kelly, I use the Avene TriXera body lotion which I love, as well as the Cold Cream cleanser for the shower.  What is the name of the bath oil you use by them?  I'd love to try it, but I'm not sure it's available in Canada as I haven't seen it in the shops.

Offline KellyGrrl

« Reply #5 on: Sunday September 11, 2005, 09:24:23 PM »
Wow, I never knew they had a cream!  I would love to get that.   My dermatologist sells the Bath Oil.  It's called Avene TriXera Emollient bath.  He told me to take a bath using it 2x a week.  I think it really works!!

Offline itchychick

• Global Moderator
  • Peachy Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: Sunday September 11, 2005, 09:38:04 PM »
The cream is fabulous.  The other one i like which is similar is by a company called LaRoche-Posay, and the cream is called Lipikar Baume.  Stays with you all day and doesn't feel too "gloopy".  I am going to my pharmacy right now to look for the bath oil! ;D

Offline idil

• SkinCell Grand
  • Nubian Queen
« Reply #7 on: Sunday September 11, 2005, 11:46:11 PM »
thanks u guys  ;D
yea kelly i've heard that 20mins of sun 3 times a week is very good for your skin becuase it makes a certain vitamin (i forgot which one) in ur skin.
both of u seem to like aveeno over cethphil, ill try aveeno from now on. i'll take all ur advices thanks so much

I think you are talking about vitamin D? It doesnt make the vitamin but helps your body absorb it or something. I would stop taking the hydrocortisone because you dont want to thin out your skin. I would use it sparingly only when its at its worse.

Gud luck
"Love is not love Which alters when it alteration finds" Shakespeare

Offline KellyGrrl

« Reply #8 on: Monday September 12, 2005, 12:11:13 AM »
how does it thin out your skin?
and when it does...how does that damage it?
my skin is so broken out right now and I am using Triamcinolone acetonide cream .1% all over a couple times a day every other day.
How long can I use it before it starts to hurt me?

Offline idil

• SkinCell Grand
  • Nubian Queen
« Reply #9 on: Monday September 12, 2005, 12:43:19 AM »

I dont know how it does it specifically but they say that you shouldnt use it consecutively for long periods. I think i got it prescribed to use it on my face and since the skin on your face is thinner then the rest the doc told me to use it sparingly.

Offline sHauN26

« Reply #10 on: Tuesday September 13, 2005, 12:26:44 AM »
thx for the tip idil, it makes sense to use it sparingly. hope it works :)

Offline String Band Man

• Registered member
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday September 13, 2005, 11:34:55 AM »
I asked my doctor about this and he basically said that the key is to use it now and again but to hit it hard when you do, say a couple of times a day for a few days then stop. He said it would only cause damage if it was used ALL the time for a period of time.
It takes a lot to laugh. it takes a train to cry

Offline KellyGrrl

« Reply #12 on: Tuesday September 13, 2005, 08:12:19 PM »
oh ok good to know.

my doc told me to put it on a thick layer 3 times a day but only ever other day so my skin wont get used to it.

Offline String Band Man

• Registered member
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday September 13, 2005, 08:44:25 PM »
Yep thats what he told me. think your skin gets used to it and then as soon as you stop it kind of craves it.
It takes a lot to laugh. it takes a train to cry

Offline idil

• SkinCell Grand
  • Nubian Queen
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday September 14, 2005, 01:02:51 AM »
Youre welcome shaun26

Offline chicky

« Reply #15 on: Wednesday September 14, 2005, 02:10:33 AM »
hi there
Here is some information on cortisone

Cortisone also causes death to certain immune cells. Some of these cells cause the allergic or inflammation response in arthritis, and cell death makes people feel better because it decreases the inflammation. Unfortunately, if too many cells die over a prolonged time period, immunity decreases, with increased infections.

Cortisone also quickly kills the cells in the body that make collagen connective tissue. Death to these cells causes skin thinning”with bruising, bone loss with resultant osteoporosis, capillary thinning with bruising, and hemorrhage. Studies show that 30% of a person's entire skeleton can be lost in as little as three months of cortisone therapy.

Cortisone production also increases substantially with aging, as protein-building hormones decline”including estrogen, testosterone, DHEA, and growth hormone. This is a œdouble whammy of fat gain, as both the loss of growth promoting hormones and an increase in cortisone result in a withering of muscle, skin, bone, and ligaments that would help keep a person active. Besides wrinkles and thin skin, membrane dryness commonly causes vaginal pain, urinary incontinence, and dry mouth.

Insulin overproduction, as in Type 2, adult-onset, diabetes mellitus (including pre-diabetes), causes increased cortisone production. This makes diabetes worse because cortisone causes abnormalities in sugar metabolism. Talk about a vicious cycle:

·         Weight gain causes increased insulin.

·         Increased insulin causes increased cortisone.

·         Increased cortisone causes increased weight and abnormal sugar metabolism!

·         And on and on and on. . . .

Finally, cortisone causes pre-fat cells to mature to become fat cells, making storage of fat easier. Cortisone makes the brain less sensitive to the fat-cell-produced hormone leptin, which controls hunger, appetite, satiety, and cravings”so they become even more difficult to control.

Unfortunately, nothing can immediately reverse these changes. Once treatment is finished, however, only diet and exercise can œget the fat off. It may take fewer calories than in the past for the same results. If cortisone levels increase with uncontrolled diabetes, diet and exercise also cause normalization of insulin and cortisone within days to weeks of starting a diet program.

Be careful and only use when you need to i suggest trying something natural like hemp oil or sweet almond oil.  Comfrey oinment and calendula are very good too.
Try maybe getting tested for allegies and a detox would benifit you greatly
Good luck

Chciky

Offline itchychick

• Global Moderator
  • Peachy Sunshine
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday September 14, 2005, 02:08:49 PM »
Chicky, aren't these side effects and symptoms primarily a result of oral steroids?  I'm not sure that bone thinning to that degree (or any degree), or weight gain can result from topical application...
I believe Shaun26 was asking about topically applied hydrocortisone, which I think is relatively mild?

In any case, you are absolutely right about the systemic effects of oral cortisone therapy - sounds awful, and should only be used with extreme caution when no other treatment is effective  ;)

Offline kamii

• Registered SkinCell Member
« Reply #17 on: Saturday September 17, 2005, 10:36:42 AM »
yea....i think sHauN26 was refering to steroids which are applied to the skin....

i also frequently have applications of steroid creams......

Offline dkornels

• Registered member
    • Ultimate Water Filter
« Reply #18 on: Friday November 11, 2005, 07:20:44 PM »
I only use soaps,body wash  and shampoo that I buy from the health store. The more natural based and less chemicals the less problems I have with eczema.  I have used a shower filter for over 7 years and that makes a MAJOR difference since chlorine strips protective oils off the skin. I have friends that use MIRACLE II, its a very natural cleanser, you can do an internet search to get more info. on that.

Also, I switched to natural laundry detergents. There are harsh chemicals in detergents and some of their residue stays in clothing even after it goes through the rinse cycle. Hard water especially retains soaps in clothing and this is bad for people with sensitive skin. I was buying laundry detergent at the health store and then Target came out with a brand called Method which I think is really good and natural and cheaper.

For moisturizing I prefer apricot kernol oil.

Also, some people have bad reactions to synthetic fibers. I prefer 100% cotton clothing and think it makes a big difference.

When I have absolutely needed a cream I have used florasone available in health stores that does not contain cortisone or petroleum.

Hope this helps.

Offline bob316

« Reply #19 on: Monday November 14, 2005, 02:46:03 AM »
This is very interesting...
I did not know that the hydrocortizone thinned your skin.
I have been having a problem with my feet for over a year now.
I use freederm. It helped a ton on my hands but my feet have
been stuborn.  I continue using this cream a few times a day.
The problem is that some areas crack open.  I use bandaids
and neosporene on the open cuts and the cream on the rest.
Once one spot starts to heal, another cracks open.  I think I will
try switching exclusively to Aveno for a while to see how it goes.
Thanks for great info on this...
It is much appreciated.
Bob.
1. Conviction is worthless until converted to conduct.
2. No matter how bad you think it is.. it could always be worse.