Author Topic: Facial Seborrheic Eczema - Moisturisers Advice & Guidance  (Read 71513 times)

Offline Lozicle

• SkinCell Grand
  • of Goth
  • Turquoise!!
    • My Space Profile
Re: Facial Seborrheic Eczema - Moisturisers Advice & Guidance
« Reply #20 on: Thursday August 18, 2005, 04:39:03 PM »
hey sgx.saint :hi:
Have you ever tried the Hemp face cream from the body shop ? It really helped my  *E (woohoo go bouncy go !)
They also do a hand cream version which is thicker and gloopier but i used on my face when it was more dry.
I agree with Gobe too, I haven't used to soap to wash my face since i was very little. Just water or a little aqueous cream or baby oil :)
Let us know how you get on with the Shea butter though because I haven't tried that before.

Good luck :hug:

Offline Saint

« Reply #21 on: Thursday August 18, 2005, 05:33:30 PM »
Yeah, I only wash with Warm Water nothing else, havent done for past 9 months.

To be honest ..... the Seb Eczema I have on my face ..... what usually works best is a blast of anti-bacterial steroid then nothing at all.

My face seems to be so unhappy with any cream I put on it, it tends to do better in the long run with nothing on it at all.

I am not feeling confident in the Shea Butter, I mean im sure its a wonderful product but 5 hours into having it on my face ..... it feels a tad itchy in areas.

When I look at the creams, its almost as if the creams help the spread of the eczema .... weird I know .... perhaps the best thing with a yeast infection is not to use many creams ... they might make it worse .....

Still, I will wait till tomorrow to see how face feels/looks then.
Saint

Offline Andy50

• SkinCell Grand
  • Angler
« Reply #22 on: Saturday August 20, 2005, 06:33:47 PM »
Hi sgx.saint :)
My own regime for treating my facial seb derm is to use Simple soap everday and in the event of a wee flare up apply a touch of Dakacort, i find using the Simple soap has helped my skin stay less greasy on the affected area`s(mostly side`s of nose)and improve my skin greatly :)
Let the heart rest
Lay back your head
You were good in your time
And we thank you
                           Morrissey

Offline Saint

« Reply #23 on: Sunday August 21, 2005, 09:07:19 PM »
Well the Shea Butter didnt work as planned .... :(

I did a lot of research into Seb Eczema though last night, so I went out today confidentally to buy some new products to treat it.

Its basically a problem with Yeast on the skin ... so I bought Nizoral Shampoo / Daktarin Gold and Daktarin cream.

All designed to tackle yeast infections like Seb Eczema.

Now two days into the treatments, my face is soooooooooooooo bad :( :(

The creams seem to make my skin so dry its unbelievable. I was so confident in the creams that they would work by killing of the yeast on my skin.

And as I dont have a moisturiser to use which works on my skin, my face is a complete mess.

I have just used Eumovate on my face to try and help it a bit.

God, Im getting sick of this condition .......... it should be treatable at least ............. I know deep down that it is completely manageable ... if I could find the right balance of treatments.

I dont get to see a Derm for weeks as I have to wait for an appointment. Only option is to go back to GP and ask for Dakatcort cream again, which worked well. However, I bought Daktacort HC cream which I assume is the same and it seems to make my face worse !!

I really wish I could find a combination of products that would work.

Saint

spiky

« Reply #24 on: Sunday August 21, 2005, 09:12:30 PM »
Very sorry to hear that saint. :hug:

Gobe

« Reply #25 on: Sunday August 21, 2005, 10:26:12 PM »
Sorry to hear this sgx.saint. :(

:hugs:

Offline polster

• Registered member
  • Registered SkinCell Member
« Reply #26 on: Monday August 22, 2005, 12:33:34 AM »
Well Ive been using the ATOPALM cream for 4 days now since I got it and its helped tremendesly.  This cream seams to calm my rosacea a little and flaking of the skin has been minimilized.  I use the cream on my face morning and night.  The rashes are virtually gone that were by my nose.  So far so good.

I think the problem is that your over washing your face stripping the natural oils which cause more flaking and more rash.  I would put a mosterizer like atopalm on the face and minimize the use of soaps and such for a week to test it out.  Nizoral helps with dandruff but is a very drying product to the skin especially if you use it on the face.

polster

Offline Saint

« Reply #27 on: Monday August 22, 2005, 02:57:42 AM »
Hey All.

Thankyou for your kind words and help :)

Well, update first .... my face isnt so sore or red at the moment, I blasted it with Eumovate Topical steroid and then applied some Daktarin cream ontop. Kind of home made attempt at a Daktacort cream.

in relation to Daktacort. The prescription stuff which has to be kept in a fridge worked wonders on my face .. but the over the counter stuff that doesnt need to be kept chilled seems to dry my skin out more and is not as effective even though the ingrediants are more or less the same :O

I wonder why this is?

I agree, mixing creams and then constantly washing my face does not help.

The Daktarin creams both Gold and Normal seem to dry my skin out just like the Nizoral. Perhaps its something todo with the anti-fungal stuff in them.

The Daktarin normal cream has the same active component as the Daktacort cream.

So I am tempted to go back to the doctor, try the Daktacort cream again and maybe try this ATOPALM stuff. Although its very expensive :(

The Shea butter didnt work as I said, seemed quite thick and difficult to apply. So Im still after a suitable misturiser which wont make my face worse.

Every cream I seem to apply, my face seems the same or slightly redder and shinier after a few hours. The only cream that seems to take effect and you can see it is the Daktacort cream or was the Daktacort cream.

I need a mosituriser which I can apply and see the difference after a few hours .....
Saint

Offline idil

• SkinCell Grand
  • Nubian Queen
« Reply #28 on: Monday August 22, 2005, 03:40:52 AM »
hi

I have a prob with seb derm, it started in my scalp and ended up affecting my face. When i was in london i saw a derm there who told me finally what i had and presrcribed dactakort. Anyways i was happy i had finally been given a diagnosis and something to use to make it go away. So i used it religiously everyday 2x for 2weeks and then once ever day/several weeks. I wish someone had told me that it was a steriod and that it causes thinning of the skin. Plus, the skin on your face is thinner than the rest of your skin. Plus i think your skin can become dependant on it.

I was wondering if you could stop using everything for 3weeks and just use dove sensetive to wash your face. It has 1/4mosturizer in it and its gentle. A word of advice it may cause your skin to feel tight but eventually an hour or so later it wont be feeling like that. If you still need something to moisturize with, you can try olive oil. You can buy it from one of those natural stores. Aloe vera gel/lotion is good too, it helps soothe red irritated skin.

Gud luck :)
« Last Edit: Monday August 22, 2005, 03:50:49 AM by idil »
"Love is not love Which alters when it alteration finds" Shakespeare

Offline Saint

« Reply #29 on: Monday August 22, 2005, 04:19:29 AM »
Yeah I know your skin can become dependent on it.

I was thinking of using the Daktacort for a week or so to clear my skin up to the best possible condition, then slowly ween my way off it.

This would work, if I can find a suitable moisturiser aswell ..........

Saint

Offline Eduardomcm

• Registered member
« Reply #30 on: Thursday August 25, 2005, 12:33:24 AM »
Hello Everyone!

Hello

Hi

i suffer of seborrheci dermatitis for 10 years it is awfull and the usual medication is not so good. I was taking anti-fungical and corticosteroids. Usually i had to do that 2-3 times a week;

now i have tryed, based on several studys, to put pure or diluted honey in my face (centrofacial zone) at night and since then i didn´t have needed to use corticoids. To anyone that wants to try use a tablespoon of honey and dilute in other of warm water. Try it at night and let it be for about 30 minutes then apply your usual daily cream (i use ictyane from Ducray- each people have different skin and different taste). [/b]I only ask for the tryers to tell me how it went to them. I am a medical student and i´ve tryed many things with no very good results.

Good Luck

Offline Eduardomcm

• Registered member
« Reply #31 on: Friday August 26, 2005, 12:55:03 AM »
Very sorry to hear that Saint

I suffer of seborrheic dermatitis since my 14 years (i´m 23).
I used every cream you can imagine and till 3 weeks ago i was using potent coricoids (advantan) and clotrimazol. To the hair i do shampoo of olamina piroctona. I´m a medical student (allready made dermatology discipline) in Portugal. I´ll try to help you, but i need your feedback.

Seborrheic dermatitis may presents itself of many ways.

Where do you have (nose, centrofacial zone, hair, chest, ???); How is it? Red, with pellicules, itchy (how many)? What are you taking (say the active principles - in Portugal they have other names.

Actually i´ve tryed honey and no symptoms for three weeks.

Say something. (sorry the bad english)

Offline Gary G

• Registered member
  • Petrolhead
« Reply #32 on: Monday August 29, 2005, 09:18:24 PM »
Apologies to those who have seen me write about this before, but since no one has mentioned it, I'd like to tell you how I have completely controlled my Seb Derm.

I wash my face once in the morning and once in the evening with either Garnier Synergie Deep Pore Wash, or Johnson & Johnson Clean & Clear Exfoliating Daily Wash.  This gets rid of the excess oil on my face which causes my flare-ups.  Whilst it does make my skin dry and a bit flakey, I have not had one flare-up in nearly TWO YEARS since I started doing this.

If my skin is really dry, I'll use either Eumobase concentrated rehydration cream by GlaxoSmithKline, or Eucerin Dry Skin Therapy.  I use these only when I have to get rid of the unslightly flakes, but as soon as I am back at home, I'll wash  my face as above.  I have found that neither of these creams cause bad flare-ups, but I'm certain that if I put them on my face before going to bed, that I'd have a flare-up the next morning.  My face seems to be able to cope with them for a few hours at a time only.

Basically, wherever possible, I don't use the creams and just wash my face twice a day.  My family and friends are now used to seeing me with dry skin on my face.  I'd much rather this than big red (and sometimes) painful patches on my forehead, nose and cheeks.

Hope this helps.

Offline Saint

« Reply #33 on: Sunday October 02, 2005, 04:57:49 AM »
Hey All.

Long time in posting.

Thankyou for all the replies.

I have since been to a derm for patch testing .... the result ..... out of the 92 things tested, I am allergic to none. Which is good and bad news really.

To be honest what I understand about "Seb Eczema" is that its all todo with the Yeast rather than an allergy to something, although I am aware there can be a secondary issue with being allergic to something.

So, I am no further forward at the moment.

I have analysed my condition in as much detail as possible. This is a summary of what I know:-

(*) Condition seems to get worse overnight, not every night, but whatever flares my 'seb eczema' up, it happens 99% of the time overnight, as the next morning my face is worse
(*) Daktacort cream is the only cream that clears my face up to about 95% clear. Problem with this cream is that after constant use, the cream becomes less effective and seems to make my face worse. If I take a break, of say 3 weeks between using it, then it becomes fantastically effective again.
(*) I have tried a large variety of moisturisers and none seem to benefit my face in any shape or form. I either have an instant reaction to them, i.e. over a 3 hour period or overnight and the next morning they have made my face worse. Or the most common, they have no affect at all.
(*) I have tried washing daily with Nizoral shampoo, but this dries my face out and as a result I see no improvement in my skin.
(*) Some moisturisers seem to make the eczema worse, almost as if they help the eczema spead to new areas of my face, as if they act as a medium.

I am hoping as many people as possible with Seb Eczema will reply to this thread with perhaps a snapshot of how they control//cure/maintain there eczema. For example, what is your daily routine? What products do you use?

I am trying to find someone who has had similar problems as me, and found a way to manage their condition in a hope that I can too try out new techniques.

I have listed below creams/treatments I have used:-

(*) E45 Cream ( Bad, face reacted badly to this cream )
(*) Aveeno Oil/Cream ( Bad, ^ )
(*) Oilatum Oil/Cream ( Bad ^ )
(*) Eucerin 10% Urea and 5% Face Cream ( Bad, the face cream was worse than the 10% cream, the 10% cream I thought was working at first )
(*) Shea Butter ( Bad ^ )
(*) Nivea Moisturiser ( Bad ^ )
(*) Eucerin Facial Toner ( Bad ^ )
(*) Cocoa Butter Cream / Palmers ( Bad ^ )

Im currently taking Evening Primrose tablets/multivitamins to help aid with the healing process.

Any feedback on this topic is much appreciated!

Cheers

Saint

Celery Peach

« Reply #34 on: Sunday October 02, 2005, 06:09:46 AM »
 :) Hiya Saint

I havnt got seb derm but I have got an awful itchy scalp due to my meds. I notice that you havnt tried the stuff I use, as recommended by a couple of our seb derm lads. I use Selsun suspension, more info here : http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100002359.html It works a treat for me !

We have been discussing on another thread lately Sodium Lauryl Sulfate and the effect it can have on people that are sensitive to it, so you might want to look for some products that dont contain this ingrediant, see if ruling it out helps, more info here : http://www.holistichealthtools.com/sls.html

For moisturising, have you tried a simple Aqueous cream ? http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100000160.html

I hope you find something that makes a real difference soon  :)

Offline Saint

« Reply #35 on: Sunday October 02, 2005, 02:39:26 PM »
Hey!

Yes, I try to avoid SLS as much as possible, even though I am unsure if SLS would actually affect my skin in any way.

Yes I tried aqueaus cream, but made my skin even worse, was one of the first creams I tried and even contains SLS !

I tried the Atopalm cream as recommended a few posts up ... seemed ok at first, but I think when my face is in a flare, any moisturiser seems to make it work. As my skin seemed to cope more with the atopalm when my skin was almost clear, rather than now when it is red.

Perhaps I just cannot use any cream when my face is in a flare .......

Anyway, thankyou for the first reply to my post :D
Saint

Offline kamii

• Registered SkinCell Member
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday October 04, 2005, 06:20:56 AM »
Hmm i have a very similar problem.....im 18 now but it started getting really uncontrallable like 2 years ago.....

And one of the things i know is really affecting my eczema is my long hot showers, i just can't bring myself to stop!!!  I have had the test and stuff done and found that im highly sensitive to pollen......what can i do about that?!?!  And one other thing.....i use moisturiser like there's no tomorow....a bottle every few months(500mL).
 This is what i do:
- come out of showe, still damp, put moisturiser on
- re apply moisturiser within 20minutes, or my skin just feels sooo dry!
- re apply moisturiser every few hours....
- before bed......paste my face in moisturiser!

I use Aveeno "for sensitive skin" moisturiser.  This is the only thing that works for me, i've tried so many other things but they just don't work....

Also, my face is red and dry all year round......not red, but pink.  Once in a while(every few days) i have to use a steroid cream to clear up my build up of eczema.....

Offline robbojnr

• Registered member
« Reply #37 on: Saturday January 07, 2006, 07:48:36 PM »
i feel for you sqxl, i have similar problems...

i supposedley have seb derm but i have folliculits as well as not being able to go outside as my skin burns

now i first got anti biotics and dakacort skin wasnt to bad on it although using the dakacort for longer than 2 weeks on face aint a good idea.....

when i stopped the anti biotics my skin went mad again....as usual i knew this would happen...

anyway i have decided to go on a anti yeast/candida diet....

i went to see another derm he put me on nizoral/protopic and some hair stuff and more anti biotics ...

joke if you ask me, i used the pro topic my skin went mad with spots, the thing is the more we irritate with this crap the harder it is going to be to get the skin better and opens all other sorts of problems.. i am traumatised by the whole thing ...

having had good skin all my life now at 33 having this without being able to go out, i have this yellow stuff coming off me skin god knows what it is .....i find that when i put anything nearly on my skin it irriatates it or if i have something on it im worrying is it making my skin worse....the thing is derms dont know and i know it is hard cause skin condition are all different but we should all should be looking at internal things here really i read a lot about ppl using this cream and that cream but really if you're finding that all creams irritate then we need to look inside...

yes i have been suicidal about my condition really have spend most days in bed as i dont know what to do anymore as the derms dont know they thing the yeast on my skin is causing the problem i have become obsessed with everything to what i eat worried if i have eaten something is it making it worse also the creams i put on my face as well does it make it worse and everytime you use a different cream you're skin is going to get irritated cause it doesnt like anything really on it ....

plus i cant go outside due to the skin burning etc..
as for a lot of these chemicals in these products they arent good sls is a dreadful ingredients some say they put it in products to purposely irritate the skin would pharm companies do such a thing you bet they would....
it can be very hard to find a product for you're skin i remember when i was given double base and how my skin went mad, like one of my friends said putting petrol on a fire , which basically is what most of these derm products are full of ......

i also find heat/ cigratte smoke computer screens etc make my skin worse and god knows what else .....
and of course the fact that i am emotionally a mess doesnt help...

Offline nattie68

« Reply #38 on: Tuesday August 22, 2006, 03:06:42 PM »
just wondered if you found anything to help your seb excema i have the same im having problems finding moisturer ect

Offline Saint

« Reply #39 on: Tuesday September 05, 2006, 06:37:46 PM »
See your other thread, I replied.

Also, where are you from?

Saint