Author Topic: Facial Seborrheic Eczema - Moisturisers Advice & Guidance  (Read 72255 times)

Offline Saint

Facial Seborrheic Eczema - Moisturisers Advice & Guidance
« on: Tuesday August 16, 2005, 04:14:35 PM »
Hello Everyone!

Its been a while since I posted on here, and when I did, I didnt post a lot anyway ! :)

I have Facial Seborrheic Eczema and its been an absolute pain over the past 9 months or so.

It all started from when I was getting hot and sweaty, be it working out in the Gym to other activities. Afterwards I would rub my face with my hands and it made my face sore and red.

I started treating it with consumer products such as E45 cream and Sudacrem, but after a month or so I realised that the creams were making my face worse, more red and sore. This typically happened only while I was asleep though. If I applied the cream in the daytime, I may notice a slight reaction, but nothing near what I would wake upto if I had left the cream on over night. Im not sure why this was, perhaps something todo with me scratching whilst I am asleep or skin temprature at night. Not sure if anyone else has experienced this?

Anyway, as a result my face is now very sensitive to any cream.

I went to see the doctor who at first prescribed Diprobase for moisturising and Eumovate Topical Steroid for treating the eczema. The diprobase was awful! Made my face so sore and swollen. So I stopped using it. The Eumovate was much better and at first seemed to work quite well, but then after constant use for about two weeks, it got to a point where some of the redness wouldnt clear at all.

So I went back a month later and the doctor said it probably is something in the "base" of the creams affecting me. He prescribed Daktacort Cream for my face as he told me my type of Eczema was a sort of yeast infection based problem. The Daktacort cream has an anti-bacterial element which should help.

For the first month this was fantastic and my face cleared right up, but I kept using the cream daily and the eczema came back slightly.

Thats pretty much where I am with my face at the moment. No where near as bad as it once was, but still quite red, not swolled, just red and dry. Im using Daktacort HC cream which is available over the counter but doesnt seem to help much at all. If my face gets swollen, it helps with that but not with clearing up the redness anymore.

Which is where I am stuck. I am almost positive that if my face was kept moisturised then I probably wouldnt have any or many further problems. But that in itself is a problem....the following moisturisers I am about to list all seem to affect my face badly.

E45 Cream
Diprobase
Oilatum Cream/Oil
Doublebase
Aveeno Cream
Epaderm
Aqueaus Cream
Palmers Cocoa Butter
Eucerin Creams

The Eucerin doesnt seem so bad, but it doesnt seem to help my face, the redness persists and dryness the following day.

Im hoping someone on here can recommend a moisturiser, something which I can get via the Internet or in the UK as this is where I live. I think I need a moisturiser that is simple as possible, with not many ingredients. But before anyone suggests vaseline, that doesnt seem to help either. I tried some last night before I slept and couldnt stop itching and my face felt really hot this morning.

Yet if I apply the vaseline in the day, most times my face seems ok, then again there are other times I think "wow, my face is quite red". If I knew what was affecting me it would have been over months ago!

Also, if anyone has similar trouble to me, and is coping well with it or is clear ... perhaps you could recommend a Daily Care routine with what products you use and so forth?

Any help is appreciated!

Thankyou

Saint

Saint

Gobe

Re: Facial Seborrheic Eczema - Moisturisers Advice & Guidance
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday August 16, 2005, 04:29:43 PM »
I had a bad facial flare this summer and my derm prescribed Mildison Lipocream (it's a hydrocortisone) for my face and it has worked wonders.  Like you there are only certain creams and ointments I can tolerate, especially on my face, and this is why my derm prescribed this one for me. 

I don't have any suggestions to offer about moisturisers since I have tried so many that now I have given up trying and just stick with my trusty 50/50.  I do use it sparingly and rub it well in. (it is basically a softer and less greasy form of vaseline).  I just mention it in case you have not tried it in this form.

I use emulsifying wax in water (you can get it from the chemist) to wash my face with.

:)

Offline Saint

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday August 16, 2005, 04:53:35 PM »
Hi Gobe,

Is the Mildison Lipocream just hydrocortisone or does it have anti-bacterial properties?

Also do you know if it is availble in the UK?

I haven't tried the 50/50 ... but it might be worth a bash :D

Saint

Offline Saint

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday August 16, 2005, 05:03:58 PM »
Just thought .... im actually using something called "MediHoney" at the moment which has like 3 ingrediants including Australian Honey.

Im not sure if its working though. My face feels better, but looks the same or maybe worse.

I am thinking of trying pure Shea butter? Hopefully being pure it might work and not affect my face.

Saint

Gobe

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday August 16, 2005, 05:18:57 PM »
It's just a hydro so might not be suitable for your face.  It should be available in the UK.  I am from Scotland. ;)

Hmm if your face is still red then I would be a bit wary of the honey.  Yes I have heard good things about shea butter.  Please let me know how you get on with it if you give it a go.

« Last Edit: Tuesday August 16, 2005, 05:20:52 PM by Gobe »

Offline Saint

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday August 16, 2005, 05:28:20 PM »
Hmmm, thanks Gobe.

I have ordered a very small amount of the Shea Butter, will let you know how I get on.

Although im still open to other recommendations! :)

Saint

Offline GuzziHeroV50

• SkinCell Hero
  • Gas Guzzler
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday August 16, 2005, 05:39:50 PM »
I have seborrhoeic dermatitis and thoroughly recommend that you try Cyclax Vitamin E Face & Body Cream.  Its not pretentious, gives no false promises or blurb, but to put it quite simply...it saved my sanity.

Offline Saint

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday August 17, 2005, 06:39:13 PM »
Well I have ordered the Shea Butter and will be trying that tomorrow.

I will also look at ordering that Cyclax cream aswell.

Will moisturising alone reduce and clear the redness or do I have to apply some topical steroid to help the process along before I just treat it daily with moisturiser?

I really wish I could find a moisturiser that works for me :(

Saint

Offline polster

• Registered member
  • Registered SkinCell Member
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday August 17, 2005, 08:21:27 PM »
I have Seb Derm and Rosacea as well and I just bought this moisturizer called ATOPALM MLE Cream.  This product is supposed to repair skin's own barrier function by replenishing essential lipids. MLE (Multi Lamellar Emulsion) Cream is ideal for those with extremely dry and sensitive skin types, including irritable or flaky skin and redness.  I have not received it yet, but from reviews I read this is a great product.

The ATOPALM MLE Cream has a clinical study behind it showing it helps with dry skin, itching, erythema, and scales.

Here is a link to the clinical study:
http://atopalm.co.uk/summaries/summary1.html

I bought the ATOPALM MLE Cream _at_ skinstore.com
http://www.skinstore.com/store/product.asp?catID=0&prodID=2571
« Last Edit: Wednesday August 17, 2005, 08:26:20 PM by polster »

Offline Saint

« Reply #9 on: Wednesday August 17, 2005, 11:29:59 PM »
Im from the UK and that ATOPALM MLE Cream is quite expensive!! £24.00 for a tub/tube.

Pitty there is no way of getting a smaller size or a sample?

Saint

Offline Saint

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday August 17, 2005, 11:35:16 PM »
After a bit of research the UK ATOPALM website does offer free samples, but the form seems to be broken and I wonder if I would ever actually receive it?  :-\
Saint

Gobe

« Reply #11 on: Wednesday August 17, 2005, 11:39:19 PM »

Will moisturising alone reduce and clear the redness or do I have to apply some topical steroid to help the process along before I just treat it daily with moisturiser?

Well it never does for me.  My facial  *E was red from May until I saw the derm again last month and it was he who prescribed me the hydro.  I never even asked him -- I guess I must have looked quite red in the face! 

I really don't like using topcial steroids on my face but sometimes it is the only thing that gets rid of the redness and burny feeling.  (well for me anyway).

Offline Saint

« Reply #12 on: Wednesday August 17, 2005, 11:55:06 PM »
Might have to head off to the GP again and ask for either Daktacort cream or some other anti-bacterial steroid.

Its the worst it has been in a long time tonight. I have had to settle for Eumovate ointment in order to calm it down a bit.

If I could find the right combination of moisturiser and steriod I would be sorted! Grrrrrr!

Also, I wish I had a better understanding of my condition and what I use to treat it.

I mean, why the hell do all of the moisturisers I use make my condition either worse or no improvement? ..... I have tried alsorts, with different chemical compositions. SOme with lanolin, some without. Some with SLS, some without etc .....

I think I will try the Shea butter tomorrow, no steroid after tonight, even though my face is red and tender. If no change day after tomorrow then I will head back to GP and get another cream :-/

Saint

Gobe

« Reply #13 on: Wednesday August 17, 2005, 11:57:08 PM »
I think that is a good plan sgx.saint.

Offline Saint

« Reply #14 on: Thursday August 18, 2005, 12:17:28 AM »
Hmmm....

Out of interest how long after application say or Moisturiser or Topical Steroid should you notice a difference in skin tone?

Saint

Offline polster

• Registered member
  • Registered SkinCell Member
« Reply #15 on: Thursday August 18, 2005, 01:03:52 AM »
After a bit of research the UK ATOPALM website does offer free samples, but the form seems to be broken and I wonder if I would ever actually receive it?  :-\

Hi,  well if your from the UK you can call them for a free sample.
Click on the "contact Us" Link   http://atopalm.co.uk/main.html

Offline Saint

« Reply #16 on: Thursday August 18, 2005, 01:53:03 AM »
I have sent them an email anyway.

Not too long till my Shea Butter arrives :)

Just dont know if I should get my Eczema under control with steroids first, or just go ahead and use the butter straight away :-/
Saint

Offline Saint

« Reply #17 on: Thursday August 18, 2005, 04:18:01 AM »
Something I would share with you all is that for Atopic Eczema, anywhere apart from the face I find that "Original Health Soap" to be a miracle worker.

It cleared up a bad case of eczema in two weeks, with skin completely clear.

I tried using it on my face however, and it made it worse and really tight and sore .. couldnt live with the pain and the redness so I stopped.

But for everywhere else its great.

Saint

Gobe

« Reply #18 on: Thursday August 18, 2005, 09:34:28 AM »
Sgt Saint ~

My facial E usually starts to show improvements in a couple of days and usually I get it well under control in a week.  If I notice a new patch of E then I dab some hydro on for a couple of days to nip it in the bud.  It can take a few weeks of this to get the face completely clear sometimes.

Personally I would be wary of trying anything new on your face whilst it is still in a flare since your face will be extra sensitive.

I have not used soap on my face for years and only use the emulsifying wax to wash my face with and I use warm not hot water then gently pat with a towel.  I only wash my face once every 24 hours (in the morning) and I dont wear foundation, powder or blusher.  Less is more I think when it comes to my face.

Offline Saint

« Reply #19 on: Thursday August 18, 2005, 04:25:21 PM »
Well, I have bit the bullet and I am just using Shea Butter now .... applied a slathering this morning after my shower.

Not going to apply anything else until tomorrow. Face still quite red .... so see how it goes :)

Saint