Author Topic: Anyone with Eczema: Please read!!  (Read 19824 times)

Offline skyhi1846

• Registered member
Re: Anyone with Eczema: Please read!!
« Reply #20 on: Monday September 05, 2005, 07:48:48 AM »
Thanks itchychick!   :)  Gosh, sorry about all the typos in my post.  I agree that stress -whether it's psychological or physical (such as surgery), can lead to flare ups. 

The alopecia has resolved itself (knock on wood) and I hope to never have to take steroid medications again!  The side effects were less than desirable.  My face looked swollen, I was hungry all of the time, I had trouble sleeping at night, my body's wound healing abilities were impaired, and I devloped a UTI while on prednisone.  Ugh...it was like having super duper case of PMS for a month.

I'm certain that the eczema is a result of a work related exposure, but I'm not certain if it's caused by the soap, the alcohol hand rub, or the gloves (both latex and vinyl types) --or perhaps a combination of these substances.

I'm praying for some miracle drug or treatment to either relieve the itch permanently or do away with the disorder all together.  I think sun exposure helps, but salt water from the ocean makes the skin dry and flaky.  I can deal with having unattractive hands, but the itch can be pretty unbearable and especially at night.  Any recommendations???

Offline itchychick

• Global Moderator
  • Peachy Sunshine
« Reply #21 on: Monday September 05, 2005, 02:38:54 PM »
Have you tried any antihistamines, like atarax or prescription strength Reactine?  they help me somewhat, and often enough to get me to sleep.  When my hands and feet get itchy nothing really helps enormously,  but I sort of take the approach to do everything possible, even if every step helps only a touch... This is my routine for those times:

-a soak in a bath with Aveeno powder
- really quick dry off so the skin is still quite damp
-slather on a thick moisturizer (I currently like the really thick one by Aveeno as it has some menthol and camphor in it and makes the skin tingly instead of itchy - at least for a while)
- take my antihistamines (sometimes a double dose - I checked with my doc on this)
-  If I'm still itchy, I try some deep breathing and visualization to help calm down, but I'm not very good at this :-\

This often at least gets me to sleep.  It's quite likely that I'll wake up scratching later, but it's a start.
Oh, and though I prefer having slightly longer nails, I find that keeping them really short minimizes the "accidental" scratching.  Hopes this gives you some ideas.

Oh yes,  I've found that a foot cream made by Gehwol for cracked feet is really good at softening and healing, especially overnight.  I slather it on thickly and then wear cotton socks.  My girlfriend puts it on her hands where her dermatitis is bad - and she swears by it.  It is greasy, but it's fine at night.  Not a sexy look, I grant you, but a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do ;)

Offline smashing_pumpkin

• Registered member
    • My Blog
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday September 07, 2005, 12:16:33 AM »
Instead of soaking it in the sea, why not try bathing with dead sea salts? I've started using it this week to treat pompholyx on my hand and some itching around my body. It's good for the itching, but I haven't seen any immediate effects for my pompholyx. Although I hear it's great to treat dry flaky skin. Not to mention it's great soothing/relaxing effect to which I believe quells the stress that aggravates certain types of eczema.
It costs me about 6 euro per 1kg bag, and it's the whole pack for one bath. A bit costly I know but hey if it helps...

Offline Lozicle

• SkinCell Grand
  • of Goth
  • Turquoise!!
    • My Space Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday September 07, 2005, 09:02:33 AM »
I've tried the dead sea salt baths before - they are good because like any kind of salt water it's going to act as an antibacterial agent.
For me tho there's no better remedy than being in the sea - kinda difficult living in birmingham tho :P

Offline itchychick

• Global Moderator
  • Peachy Sunshine
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday September 07, 2005, 06:20:31 PM »
Are Dead Sea salts different than regular Sea Salt that you can put in the bath?  Like Loz, I haven't had as much improvement with sea salts in the tub as I do in the actual sea, but maybe the Dead Sea salts are better?

It also requires a HECK of a lot of salt to approximate the salinity of the sea, though (by the time they dissolve, the water is cold :crazy:!)

Offline Lozicle

• SkinCell Grand
  • of Goth
  • Turquoise!!
    • My Space Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday September 08, 2005, 08:41:02 AM »
I find the dead sea salts to be a little better.
but like you said, u can never recreat the salinity of the sea - best thing to do is just go and soak in it if u can