Author Topic: Re: Acitretin for Eczema  (Read 22200 times)

Offline maisydaisy

• Registered member
Re: Acitretin for Eczema
« on: Monday April 25, 2005, 10:53:58 PM »
hi, just found this forum today.  ;D. i have had extreme pomphollyx eczema, followed by very painful swelling on both hands and both feet since the new year, and have been on and off steroids for 4 months, i was recently prescribed, acitretin, and must admit am very scared and dubious to take anything that will increase dry skin and cause peeling, any suggestions or advice will be greatly appreciated, thanks :beer:

Offline Ellen ON VACATION

• SkinCell Grand
Re: Acitretin for HS
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday April 26, 2005, 12:07:40 AM »
Hi maisydaisy and welcome to SkinCell.

I don't know anything about acitretin and eczema. Our disease on this thread is hidradenitis suppurativa. That's not to say that I'm not interested in your disease and how this medicine will react to your skin, don't feel that way, it's just that I don't know. There are lots and lots of people on this forum with eczema but they might not find you here as I doubt that they diligently read the HS threads. You ought to put up a post in the introduce yourself thread so that they can find you.

Ellen

withu

Re: Acitretin for HS
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday April 26, 2005, 07:01:14 AM »
hi, just found this forum today.  ;D. i have had extreme pomphollyx eczema, followed by very painful swelling on both hands and both feet since the new year, and have been on and off steroids for 4 months, i was recently prescribed, acitretin, and must admit am very scared and dubious to take anything that will increase dry skin and cause peeling, any suggestions or advice will be greatly appreciated, thanks :beer:
:hi: MaisyDaisy, Welcome to Skincell!
A lot of people on this site suffer from eczema, and they will all send you  :bighug:
They also have a lot of experience in how best to treat it. And all the different meds - including Acitretin. I'm really pleased you've taken the first brave step to post a message here. Well done! :hugs: I also think Ellen is right, I know sometimes I miss new people coming onto the boards, so introducing yourself on the thread Ellen mentions is a good place to start. Don't be afraid of repeating yourself - everyone's always keen to make new members welcome.
 :hug: Hope to read more of your posts soon! x

Celery Peach

« Reply #3 on: Thursday April 28, 2005, 06:38:44 AM »
 :hi: Hiya Maisydaisy (now isnt that funny, I had 2 cats once named Maisy n Daisy)  ;)

I'm sorry I cant advise you on Acitretin for your Eczema, as Ellen has said, not because I arnt interested its just that I have no experience of it and would not like to wrongly advise.

I have taken the liberty tho of splitting off your post and making its own thread in the hope that some of our E sufferers will spot it  :)

I hope you find some answers soon  :hugs:

Offline wendianne

« Reply #4 on: Sunday May 22, 2005, 05:53:09 AM »
Hi

I believe that we have the same type of eczema! I'm new too, here in Canada they call the little blisters type of eczema dyshidrotic eczema, sometimes called pompholyx or something like that. Is it the same type of eczema?

Wendianne
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and go good with ketchup.

Offline Glow-in-the-Dark

• Registered member
« Reply #5 on: Monday June 06, 2005, 06:41:54 AM »
 :bighug: Hey there! I have eczema, but not the kind with blisters. I use Dermatop, a steroid also, and that usually clears it up...besides stinging and itching when applied. It might also work for your blisters. My little cousin uses something for his blisters and it clears it up right away. I will check in with the name of it for you asap. :)

Offline wendianne

« Reply #6 on: Friday June 10, 2005, 05:43:23 AM »
Hi!

Yeah, the stuff for regular eczema only works briefly, if at all...let me know what your little cousin uses.

Thx Wendianne
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and go good with ketchup.

Offline tiadesai

• Registered member
« Reply #7 on: Saturday August 06, 2005, 12:03:03 PM »
hii
if you are afraid of taking aciterin then why dont you apply eczema cream
Regular use of Eczema Cream will:

* Reduce redness and dry skin
    * Relieve discomfort and itching
    * Prevent infection
    * Reduce scarring

It is recommended that Eczema Cream be used together with a course of Immunity Plus to strengthen the immune system and help prevent further outbreaks of Eczema in the future.

Offline sweetleif

• Butterflies in the dark
    • Female friendly gaming site
Re: Re: Acitretin for Eczema
« Reply #8 on: Thursday January 26, 2006, 10:22:46 PM »
Hi, welcome to the boards, I hadn't even heard of acitretin before CP mentioned it here on Skincell, so I dont know about it in relation to eczema, sorry.

I have a different kind of eczema again I'm afraid, mine is due to my hormonal imbalance and is linked with my acne.

If you do try the acitretin, please let us know the outcome.

take care

Offline debra

• Registered member
« Reply #9 on: Monday March 06, 2006, 02:59:23 PM »
Hi, I also suffer from pomphollyx eczema, I have had it for years but only in the summer, this year I had it in winter also. Over the years the different creams have stopped working and even started to make it worse.

In the end i got very depressed and one night I collected up all the creams from the doctor and threw them in the bin. Since then I have been bathing in a small basin with balenum hermal and a cloth and avoiding as much water as possible.

At night I put on my wet hands and feet
heavy duty moisturizer
 then vaseline
then i put on wet cotton socks and gloves
the plastic bags, the dry cotton socks and gloves and bangage around the wrists and ankles to keep it on

during the day I constantly moisturize my hands and feet and i wear shoes and socks, open shoes send me crazy with itchy

This has worked better than all the stuff from the doctors. I have been doing this for a month  or more, i still have scaring and you can see where it would like to get very active again, but it stays calm, except for one the left heel which is still crazy since i tried to wear sandals to work one day

I have checking about for a homeopathic doctor, maybe they can do something better as it is a bit of a pain to go through this every night. but I wont go back to a regular skin doctor, they cause me problelms than they solved.

Wolfspirit

« Reply #10 on: Thursday April 20, 2006, 11:58:03 AM »
The term ˜eczema' covers a wide range of skin problems, which trouble people at different stages in their lives. It crops up in many different ways, such as in an elderly person with dry red skin around the ankles, a child with weeping red areas on the wrists, or someone whose eyelids have become itchy, red, dry and puffy in reaction to make-up. Common features of eczema include the following.

Eczema is usually dry, making your skin feel rough, scaly and sometimes thickened. In severe eczema or after a prolonged bout of scratching, the skin becomes wet with colourless fluid, sometimes mixed with blood.

Itch

Itch occurs with nearly all forms of eczema, varying from mild irritation to a hopelessly distracting and distressing symptom that makes life miserable for the sufferer and others involved.

Redness

Redness is usually present in ecze-ma and this redness can fluctuate, appearing bright red at some times of the day while at others it is barely noticeable. The redness is usually most obvious when you are hot or have exercised, or after a hot bath.

Dryness

Eczema is usually dry, making your skin feel rough, scaly and some-times thickened. Dryness reduces the protective quality of the skin, making it less effective at protecting against heat, cold, fluid loss and bacterial infection.

Wetness

In severe eczema, or after a prolonged period of scratching, the skin's protective character can be reduced further and the skin becomes wet with colourless fluid that has oozed from the tissues, sometimes mixed with blood leaking from damaged capillaries (small blood vessels). Wetness usually occurs when eczema is at its most itchy and is very likely to become infected.

Some wetness may come from small vesicles (pin-head blisters), which burst when scratched. These are most commonly found on the hands and feet, along the edges of the digits or on the palms or soles.

Structure of the skin

The skin is your largest organ, weighing about four kilograms and covering about two square metres. It is your interface with the environment, protecting you against chemicals, bacteria and radiation, helping you to maintain a stable body temperature, and stopping you from losing fluid and vital body chemicals. Your skin contains nerve endings that allow you to feel touch, temperature and pain. Nails, which are also part of your skin layer, are useful for prising things open, among other things. Skin is strong and resilient, yet also flexible.

Your skin protects you against chemicals, bacteria and radiation, helps you maintain a stable body temperature, and stops you from losing fluid and vital body chemicals.

The skin is made of three layers: epidermis, dermis and fat.

Epidermis

The outer layer is the epidermis, which contains sheets of epithelial cells called keratinocytes. These keratinocytes are produced at the junction between the epidermis and the second layer of skin, the dermis. The epidermis is supported from below by the dermis.

The epidermis contains many layers of closely packed cells. The cells nearest the skin's surface are flat and filled with a tough substance called keratin. The epidermis contains no blood vessels “ these are all in the dermis and deeper layers.

The epidermis is thick in some parts (one millimetre on the palms and soles) and thin in others (just 0.1 millimetre over the eyelids). Dead cells are shed from the surface of the epidermis as very fine scale, and are replaced by other cells which pass from the deepest (basal) layers to the surface layers over a period of about four weeks.

The dead cells on the surface take the form of flattened, overlapping plates, closely packed together. This layer is known as the stratum corneum and is remarkably flexible, more or less waterproof and has a dry surface so that it is inhospitable to micro-organisms.

Dermis

The dermis is made up of connective tissue, which contains a mixture of cells that give strength and elasticity to the skin. This layer also contains blood vessels, hair follicles and roots, nerve endings, and sweat and lymph vessels and glands. The elements of the dermis all carry messages or fluids to and from the epidermis so it can grow, respond to the outside world and react to what goes on inside the body.

Fat

Underneath the dermis is a layer of fat which acts as an important source of energy and water for the dermis. It also provides protection against physical injury and the cold.

What happens in eczema?

In eczema, the main problems occur in the epidermis where the keratinocytes become less tightly held together. As a result, they become vulnerable to external factors such as soap, water and more aggressive solvents such as washing up liquid, or solvents used as part of work or hobbies. These solvents dissolve some of the grease and protein that contribute to the natural barrier of the skin. Once this process has begun, the skin may become inflamed as a reaction to minor irritation such as rubbing or scratching. This, in turn, makes the eczema worse and a cycle of irritation, inflammation and deterioration of eczema becomes established.

In eczema the keratinocytes become less tightly held together, so becoming more vulnerable to external factors such as chemical solvents and water, which dissolve the natural protective barrier of the skin.

As part of this cycle, the skin becomes less effective as a barrier. It is less effective at preventing damage from solvents and abrasive materials acting from the outside, and it is also more likely to lose body moisture from within. In a small patch of eczema, this can mean just a few vesicles (very small bubbles in the skin) bursting and leaking water. As the eczema gets worse, the fluid may come from the dermis and include blood from broken capillaries. When severe eczema covers a large percentage of the body surface, it is possible to lose substantial amounts of body fluid, blood and protein through the skin. In addition to these materials, the body can lose heat from the skin, which can become important in people who are physically infirm.

The barrier function of the skin is reduced further when scratching occurs and breaks are gouged in the skin by fingernails. As with solvents, this fuels the eczema and is termed the ˜itch“scratch cycle'.

The skin affected by eczema may become inflamed and sore as a reaction to minor irritation. This causes the sufferer to rub and scratch the affected area, making the eczema worse, and a cycle of irritation (scratching), inflammation and deterioration of eczema sets in.

When skin becomes broken and there is a mix of blood, fluid and protein on the surface, there is a high chance of infection. This infection is usually bacterial and will add to the symptoms and severity of the eczema.

Eczema and the immune system

The epidermis is the place where the outside world meets the body's immune system. Usually the im-mune system reacts only to parts of the outside world that present a danger, such as insect bites. In many people with eczema, however, the immune system reacts more vigorously than usual to a wider range of normally harmless influences such as animal dander (small particles of hair or feathers), pollen and house-dust mite. As these trigger allergic reactions, these substances are known as allergens.

The immune system tries to destroy allergens by releasing a mixture of its own irritant substances, such as histamine, into the skin. The result is that the allergen may be altered or removed, but at the expense of causing soreness and making the skin fragile so other problems can develop, such as bacterial infection or damage from scratching.

How common is eczema?

Eczema is one of the most common skin disorders. Studies by general practitioners suggest that around 30 per cent of all people with skin problems have eczema. Of those referred to hospital with skin problems, about 20 per cent have eczema in some form. Atopic eczema is the most common form, particularly in children, affecting 10“20 per cent to some extent.

Is it definitely eczema?
Several skin conditions are red and itchy like eczema and may look the same initially; some are described here. It is, however, important to seek medical advice about any persistent or worrying rash.

Urticaria

Also known as hives, this is a distressing itchy rash of red bumps with a surrounding pale ring. Urticaria can crop up all over the body. It tends to move around, settling in one area then appearing elsewhere, usually over a period of about 24 hours. The rash can disappear completely for short periods; it may go away during the night and gradually reappear during the day. Unlike eczema, the skin does not become particularly dry and will not ooze unless scratching is so severe that it breaks the surface. Urticaria usually settles within a few days “ although sometimes it can go on for months.

Urticaria, also known as hives, is an intensely itchy rash that may affect the whole body or just an area of skin. It is usually caused by an allergic reaction.

Psoriasis

Psoriasis can look like eczema at several sites on the body, but is far less common in childhood. The rash appears more silvery and is less itchy. Unlike eczema, it can have a very clear edge, which is some-times slightly raised. Psoriasis is more likely to affect the front of the knees and back of the elbows. It is more common in the scalp and around the ears, and there may be changes in the nails with small dents (pits) and lifting up of the nails. Psoriasis may be confused with seborrhoeic eczema or gravitational eczema.

The epidermis in psoriatic skin turns over much more rapidly than that in normal skin. Immature skin cells reach the surface, forming plaques of loose visible skin.

Reactions to sunlight

¢ Sunburn: The most obvious reaction to sunlight is sunburn, which appears within a few hours of exposure to intense sunshine. In babies and small children, quite mild sunshine can produce sunburn. The connection with bright sunshine means that it is usually easy to distinguish sunburn from eczema. The speed of the reaction and the typical unpleasant tingling are also slightly different.

¢ Polymorphic light reaction: This is usually seen in adolescents and young adults. It affects the backs of hands, forearms, top of the feet and the exposed part of the legs. The V of the neck is typically affected and, although the face is very exposed to sun, it may be only the nose, chin and top of cheeks that develop the rash. It comes on quite quickly after sun exposure, usually quicker than sunburn, and is bumpy and red. There is a clear cut-off at the edge of clothing and straps, showing that sun is the cause. The condition is worst in the first month or two of summer but the skin gets used to sunshine and the reaction usually disappears by mid-summer or autumn. Unlike sunburn, there is no blistering, scaling, soreness or tightness. The redness may last for several days or longer. People who tan quite easily, even those with dark skin, may still get polymorphic light reaction.

Polymorphic light eruption is probably caused by a genetic predisposition to develop an allergic reaction to a substance in the skin that is chemically altered by UV radiation, and therefore appears foreign to the body.

¢ Lupus erythematosus: This is a rare condition, in which there is a marked reaction to sunlight that can produce scaling, redness and sometimes itch. These three features mean that it could quite easily be confused with eczema. However, lupus gets worse in sunshine and, although there is some itch, it is seldom intense.

Lupus erythematosus is a rare autoimmune disorder in which the body attacks its own tissues,including skin and any other organ in the body, blood etc. Discoid Lupus effects parts of the body exposed to sunlight. Skin, ears etc, Both types effect the skin though but Systemic Lupus is the most severe.

REDUCING YOUR RISK OF SUNBURN AND SUN-INDUCED SKIN DAMAGE
Avoid excessive exposure outdoors around midday in summer in sunny climates
Cover as much of your skin as convenient with suitable clothing when so exposed
Wear a cosmetically suitable, combined UVB and UVA sunscreen with a high sun protection factor (SPF15“25) and a high UVA protection (often designated as a star rating “ * to ****)
Re-apply the sunscreen every hour or so if you are outdoors for prolonged periods and after swimming, perspiration or exercise
Consider also using a sunscreen incorporated into a moisturiser throughout the summer on the face and hands
Don't pick intensely sunny venues as your holiday destinations.
Although some people swear that their eczema, psoriasis gets better in the sun, still protect your skin from burns.

I have atopic eczema, asthma ,systemic lupus,endometriosis,fibromyalgia and I hope this helps with your question as to the different types of eczema.Acitretin is a very powerful drug and it's not ok for everyone.

« Last Edit: Thursday April 20, 2006, 12:03:05 PM by Wolfspirit »

Wolfspirit

« Reply #11 on: Thursday April 20, 2006, 12:10:26 PM »
ACITRETIN information

What is the most important information I should know about acitretin?
 ¢  Do not take acitretin if you are pregnant or intend to become pregnant within 3 years following treatment with acitretin. Acitretin is in the FDA pregnancy category X. This means that acitretin is known to cause serious birth defects in an unborn baby. You must have negative results from two pregnancy tests before starting treatment with acitretin. The first pregnancy test will be performed when it is decided that acitretin is a treatment option and the second during the first 5 days of the next menstrual period, just before you start taking acitretin. Two reliable forms of contraception must be used for one month before, during, and 3 years following treatment with acitretin, unless you have had a hysterectomy, your doctor determines that you have completely gone through menopause, or you practice abstinence (you are 100% sure you will not have sex with a male partner). Contact your doctor immediately if pregnancy is suspected, you miss your period, or you have had sex without using 2 forms of birth control, before starting, during, or within 3 years following treatment with acitretin.
 ¢  Avoid all drinks, food, and medicines (including over-the-counter products) that contain alcohol while taking, and for two months after stopping acitretin. Alcohol changes acitretin into another drug that may taken longer than 3 years to be eliminated from the body. This may be dangerous if pregnancy is desired or if blood is donated following treatment with acitretin.
 ¢  Do not donate blood while taking acitretin and for at least 3 years following the end of treatment with acitretin. Donated blood given to a pregnant woman may cause birth defects in the unborn baby. 
 ¢  Acitretin is a form of vitamin A therefore supplements that contain vitamin A should be avoided during treatment. Additional amounts of vitamin A could result in side effects.
 ¢  Avoid prolonged exposure to sunlight or artificial ultraviolet (UV) light (e.g., sunlamps, tanning beds). Acitretin may increase the sensitivity of the skin to sunlight and sunburn may result. Use a sunscreen and wear protective clothing when exposure to the sun is unavoidable. Talk to your healthcare provider if you are receiving light therapy (phototherapy).

What is acitretin?
 ¢  Acitretin is a form of vitamin A. The exact way that acitretin works is unknown.
 ¢  Acitretin is used to treat severe psoriasis that has not responded to other treatments.
 ¢  Acitretin may also be used for purposes other than those listed in this medication guide.

What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking acitretin?
 ¢  Before taking this medication, tell your doctor if you
      · have kidney disease;
      · have liver disease; 
      · have diabetes or high blood sugar;
      · have a high level of cholesterol or triglycerides (types of fat) in your blood, or have a family history of high levels;
      · heart disease;
      · depression;
      · drink alcohol or have alcoholism;
      · have previously taken or currently take etretinate (Tegison); or
      · are taking any other medicines [especially a tetracycline antibiotic such as tetracycline (Sumycin, Achromycin V), minocycline (Minocin), doxycycline (Vibramycin, Vibra-Tabs, Doryx) or methotrexate (Rheumatrex)] or are receiving phototherapy.
 ¢  You may not be able to take acitretin, or you may require a dosage adjustment or special monitoring during treatment if you have any of the conditions listed above.
 ¢  Avoid all drinks, food, and medicines (including over-the-counter products) that contain alcohol while taking, and for two months after stopping acitretin. Alcohol changes acitretin into another drug that may taken longer than 3 years to be eliminated from the body. This may be dangerous if pregnancy is desired or if blood is donated following treatment with acitretin.
 ¢  Do not take acitretin if you are pregnant or intend to become pregnant within 3 years following treatment with acitretin. Acitretin is in the FDA pregnancy category X. This means that acitretin is known to cause serious birth defects in an unborn baby. You must have negative results from two pregnancy tests before starting treatment with acitretin. The first pregnancy test will be performed when it is decided that acitretin is a treatment option and the second during the first 5 days of the next menstrual period, just before you start taking acitretin. Two reliable forms of contraception must be used for one month before, during, and 3 years following treatment with acitretin, unless you have had a hysterectomy, your doctor determines that you have completely gone through menopause, or you practice abstinence (you are 100% sure you will not have sex with a male partner). 
 ¢  Contact your doctor immediately if pregnancy is suspected, you miss your period, or you have had sex without using 2 forms of birth control, before starting, during, or within 3 years following treatment with acitretin.
 ¢  Do not take acitretin without first talking to your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby. Acitretin may pass into breast milk and harm a nursing baby.

How should I take acitretin?
 ¢  Take acitretin exactly as directed by your doctor. If you do not understand these directions, ask your pharmacist, nurse, or doctor to explain the instructions to you.
 ¢  Take each dose with a full glass of water.
 ¢  Take acitretin with food.
 ¢  Your doctor may want you to have blood tests (e.g., liver function monitoring, cholesterol and triglyceride levels, and others) or other medical evaluations before starting and during treatment with acitretin to monitor progress and side effects.
 ¢  Your psoriasis may seem to get worse at the start of therapy, but should then begin to improve. For the best results, finish all of the medication that your doctor has prescribed for you. You may require more than one course of therapy with acitretin.
 ¢  It is important to take acitretin regularly to get the most benefit.
 ¢  After stopping treatment with acitretin, symptoms of psoriasis may return. Do not treat new symptoms with leftover acitretin. Contact your doctor for new treatment recommendations as your situation may have changed.
 ¢  Store acitretin at room temperature away from moisture and heat.

What happens if I miss a dose?
 ¢  Take the missed dose as soon as you remember. However, if it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and only take the next regularly scheduled dose. Do not take a double dose of acitretin.

What happens if I overdose?
 ¢  Seek emergency medical attention if an overdose is suspected.
 ¢  Symptoms of an acitretin overdose are not known but might include nausea and/ or vomiting.

What should I avoid while taking acitretin?
 ¢  Do not donate blood while taking acitretin and for at least 3 years following the end of treatment with acitretin. Donated blood given to a pregnant woman may cause birth defects in the unborn baby. 
 ¢  Acitretin is a form of vitamin A therefore supplements that contain vitamin A should be avoided during treatment. Additional amounts of vitamin A could result in side effects.
 ¢  Avoid prolonged exposure to sunlight or artificial ultraviolet (UV) light (e.g., sunlamps, tanning beds). Acitretin may increase the sensitivity of the skin to sunlight and sunburn may result. Use a sunscreen and wear protective clothing when exposure to the sun is unavoidable. Talk to your healthcare provider if you are receiving light therapy (phototherapy).
 ¢  Avoid driving (especially at night) if you develop any vision problems or decreased night vision. Contact your healthcare provider if this occurs.

What are the possible side effects of acitretin?
 ¢  Stop taking acitretin and seek emergency medical attention or contact your doctor immediately if you experience any of the following serious side effects:
      · an allergic reaction (difficulty breathing; closing of the throat; swelling of the lips, tongue, or face; or hives);
      · signs of heart attack, blood clot, or stroke such as shortness of breath, nausea, dizziness, chest pain, weakness, trouble speaking, or swelling of a leg;
      · signs of liver problems such as yellowing of the skin or eyes, abdominal pain, dark urine, decreased appetite, or nausea or vomiting;
      · changes in vision, blurred vision, or decreased vision (especially night vision);
      · depression, aggressive feelings or behavior, or suicidal thoughts;
      · aches or pains in the bones, joints, muscles, or back; difficulty moving; or loss of feeling in the hands or feet; or
      · noticeable increase in urination, hunger, or thirst which may indicate high blood sugar levels (acitretin may cause increased blood sugar even if you do not have diabetes).
 ¢  Other, less serious side effects may be more likely to occur. Continue to take acitretin and talk to your doctor if you experience
      · inflammation, dryness, or cracking of the lips;
      · scaly skin;
      · itching;
      · dryness of the eyes, mouth, or nose;
      · increased sensitivity of the skin to sunlight; or
      · peeling skin (especially fingertips, palms, and soles); or
      · loss of hair.
 ¢  Although less common, the following side effects may also occur. Talk to your doctor if you experience
      · elevations in blood levels of cholesterol, triglycerides, or other substances produced by your liver (detected by blood tests);
      · intolerance to contact lenses;
      · cataract formation;
      · skin rash.
 ¢  Side effects other than those listed here may also occur. Talk to your doctor about any side effect that seems unusual or that is especially bothersome.

What other drugs will affect acitretin?
 ¢  Before taking acitretin, tell your doctor if you are taking any of the following medicines:
      · a diabetes medicine such as chlorpropamide (Diabinese), glipizide (Glucotrol), glyburide (Micronase, Diabeta, Glynase), tolbutamide (Orinase), tolazamide (Tolinase), and others;
      · methotrexate (Rheumatrex);
      · a "progestin-only" birth control pill such as Micronor, Nor-Q.D., Ovrette, and others;
      · etretinate (Tegison) (tell your doctor if you have taken this in the past);
      · phenytoin (Dilantin, Phenytek) or fosphenytoin (Cerebyx);
      · a tetracycline antibiotic such as tetracycline (Sumycin, Achromycin V), minocycline (Minocin), doxycycline (Vibramycin, Vibra-Tabs, Doryx); or
      · the herbal supplement St. John's wort.
 ¢  You may not be able to take acitretin, or you may require a dosage adjustment or special monitoring during treatment if you are taking any of the medicines listed above.
 ¢  Avoid the use of topical preparations to treat psoriasis unless otherwise directed by your doctor. They may interfere with treatment with acitretin or increase irritation of the skin.
 ¢  Drugs other than those listed here may also interact with acitretin. Talk to your doctor and pharmacist before taking any prescription or over-the-counter medicines, including herbal products.

Hope this helps anyone who needs to find out about this drug.I take Methotrexate and it is very similiar to acitretin especially in what you can and can't do, but Methotrexate is not Vit A, it is a immunosuppresant drug used for psoriasis, sle and rheumatoid athritis.
« Last Edit: Thursday April 20, 2006, 12:15:17 PM by Wolfspirit »

Offline Sgeethi012

• Registered member
« Reply #12 on: Friday December 09, 2011, 07:33:02 AM »
Did you try any medicines ? If not you should see a doctor soon.

Offline Molt1n9

• Registered member
  • *scratch*
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday May 09, 2012, 12:17:06 AM »
Hi.

I'm new to the forums, and just saw this post. I will be taking acitretin (?) soon but for the treatment of psoriasis. I can give feedback in terms of how it works. But. Regardless of what skin condition you have the way in which people respond to medicines is different from person to person. I have myself responded differently to the same medicine at different times in my life. It is all a method of trial and error. If you are worried about taking a medicine/course of treatment you should always let your doctor know  -  there are always alternatives. I for example refused PUVA light therapy treatment for the second time, the first time I was not warned of side effects (this was long before the internet did all of that for you) and it caused a lot of damage to my skin - as if I didnt have enough of that already! But again - everyone responds differently. None the less, will provide my own review of this med once I start.

Hope it worked out for you.

Offline belton2000

• Registered member
« Reply #14 on: Saturday August 25, 2012, 10:51:02 PM »
I have had Pomphollyx excema on my hands since I was 17 and am now 39. Just recently I read an article regarding CANDIDA and its relation to pomphollyx (there are lots on the internet). I was intrigued so I tried using Canesten (or any other fungal cream) along with eliminating YEAST from my diet and my excema cleared up in 3 days flat.....
Yeast is found in bread, vinegar,most beers and alcohol (apart from vodka,gin as these are distilled) - there is a good list here http://www.allergy-details.com/yeast-allergy/foods-contain-yeast/ . Also a good idea to cut down on white sugar intake as that can feed yeast in the body. Finally...eat some yoghurt every day that has live cultures (probiotic).

See how you get on!

Offline Gsandy

• Registered member
« Reply #15 on: Monday November 19, 2012, 10:53:01 AM »
Why don't your try Shea butter? Eczema can happen due to lack of moisture in the skin and shea butter is enriched with vitamin E, vitamin A, and keratin that can maintain the moisture level of the skin. Just buy shea butter and rub it on your infected skin.
G. Sandy