Author Topic: Pityriasis Lichenoides Chronica  (Read 580521 times)

Offline elseaeff

• Blast it, this stuff is itchy!
Re: Pityriasis Lichenoides Chronica
« Reply #640 on: Tuesday May 12, 2009, 03:43:09 PM »
DixieDiva: Thanks for admitting you pop them because to me it seems when I do they dry up and stop itching. I've even scrapped the surface off or picked the dried up tops off (which I am sure does not help the look of my skin) but gives me relief. I have not tried a lot of different creams because some sting like crazy. What does the one you use do? Moisturize or relieve the itch? Where in the south are you? Do any of you have really dry flaky skin?  Sometimes it seems like I have body dandruff but I think part of that is my skin turning over so frequently. I can cream and vitamin e oil my skin three times a day and it's still dry.  It also seems to me that people who are more olive complexted and those with oily skin seem to get over this much faster, Oddly, for as much sun and tanning booth as I have gotten over the last few years I do not burn at all like I would when I was younger.

Hi! I've been dealing with this mess for 4 years now, I'll be 53 in a few months. I used to pop these suckers all the time until I got a really bad staff infection. Then came the lecture from my doctor.... there are strains of staff that do not respond to penicillin and it's a doozie of an infection, possibly causing herpes, boils, cold sores, and a score of other things. It is called MRSA and has evolved several times and is very resistant to most antibiotics.

Not to mention that instead of little light scars from the spots that flake and can be just flaked off, now I have dark brown scars that really look bad.

My derm has been named #1 in Richmond for 5 years running and she's never heard of bromelain. I've sent her some info on it, but I'm not taking anything that she isn't aware of. I keep things under control by everyday personal keeping from the showers I take to the creams I use. After 4 years it's a no brainer for me.

As for worrying about what others say, I just don't care. I also have MS and Cancer. So, let them walk a mile in my shoes before judging me and my scars.

later!
Linda

Offline Jkel

• Registered member
« Reply #641 on: Tuesday May 12, 2009, 07:12:53 PM »
 Thanks
« Last Edit: Thursday May 14, 2009, 12:31:06 PM by Jkel »

Offline DixieDiva

• Registered member
« Reply #642 on: Tuesday May 12, 2009, 07:57:42 PM »
Just returned from the dermatologist. Biopsy results were inconclusive for scabies, Grovers, or PLC/PLEVA. So he took 2 more biopsies and said he wants to treat for scabies again, just to completely rule it out. I'm iffy on doing that again. NO ONE I have been in contact with since March, including my husband, has shown any signs of scabies. He also told me to get rid of my cats since they can carry the scabies. According to my research that's not true, and I resent him telling me to get rid of my cats when he can't definitively tell me what I've got. I guess I'm willing to do the scabies treatment again, but I don't see the point of subjecting my husband to it when he's shown no signs of it over the past 2 months.

Suffice to say, I'm a little frustrated right now.
A sense of humor can help you tolerate the unpleasant, cope with the unexpected, overlook the unattractive and smile through the unbearable.

Offline lindadiane

« Reply #643 on: Tuesday May 12, 2009, 11:27:41 PM »
Hi Jkel:  I took the Bromelain 3 times per day...,morning, afternoon and evening. I am following their advice and I am now down to 2 eper day..one in the morning and one at night. IF, and I mean IF, it works I will just stay on the 2 per day. I have noticed my sinuses seem better - lots less allergy stuffiness.

Dixiediva: Why treat for scabies when he/she isn't sure? Don't you just love doctors?

Offline DixieDiva

• Registered member
« Reply #644 on: Wednesday May 13, 2009, 03:17:08 PM »
Dixiediva: Why treat for scabies when he/she isn't sure? Don't you just love doctors?
My thoughts exactly, especially when my husband has shown NO signs of it after nearly 3 months. If I've had scabies for 3 months, then by rights so should he.

I started the bromelain Monday after lunch. I've had one spot on my face under my left eye, and last night noticed it looked less red. This morning showed more improvement to that spot and to the rest of the rash. I still feel like I have chicken skin, especially on my chest and shoulders and back, but this morning there was less redness and the tiniest bit of smoothing out.

One thing I do notice is the frequent sensation of something crawling on my skin, usually arms and chest. And there's on spot on my chest that almost perpetually tickles. Anyone else have that sensation?
A sense of humor can help you tolerate the unpleasant, cope with the unexpected, overlook the unattractive and smile through the unbearable.

Offline lfn

• Registered member
« Reply #645 on: Wednesday May 13, 2009, 06:19:49 PM »
Thanks for the top on The Vitamin Shoppe selling 40 mg Bromelain. There is one by my house. Recently my skin does feel like something is crawling on it. I noticed myself scratching more maybe because it's much drier because of the weather??  I also hear everyone on doctor diagnosis. for the longest time medical people kept telling me "wow I have never seen this before.."but they prescribed creams they "thought" would cure it, what a waste of my money. I have a bag full of creams to prove it.

Offline DixieDiva

• Registered member
« Reply #646 on: Wednesday May 13, 2009, 09:18:21 PM »
Thanks for the top on The Vitamin Shoppe selling 40 mg Bromelain. There is one by my house.
Sign up for their frequent buyer program. It's free. You get points when you buy stuff, and at the end of the year they send you a gift card to spend in their stores.

Thanks for confirming that crawling sensation. I wondered if it might be associated with the tiny scabies critters moving around, but maybe not.

Talked to my regular doctor's office this afternoon, he's going to see about getting me in to see a different derm. Even with a referral I'm probably still looking at 6 - 12 weeks. I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and hope that between the bromelain and the tanning bed it clears up on its own.

Offline lindadiane

« Reply #647 on: Wednesday May 13, 2009, 11:02:13 PM »
Hi: I noticed my bumps seemed redder and then flatter. I'd say after one month a slight improvement. I have had a stinging and occasional crawly feeling...I was worried for a time this was some strange parasite. The days I do the sun since the Bromelain I noticed my skin looks better. I think I also have food allegies...I seem more itchy after I eat 2 - 3 hours ~ do you get that at all? maybe Ihave a combination of things. I might try a cleansing diet once I'm off work this summer. My skin is ALWAYS dry and being peri-menopusal does not help that - nor does the sun. Was anyone able to get to the pics?

Offline Jkel

• Registered member
« Reply #648 on: Thursday May 14, 2009, 12:31:54 PM »
Thanks Lindadiane fingers crossed

Offline DixieDiva

• Registered member
« Reply #649 on: Thursday May 14, 2009, 06:05:40 PM »
Keeping my fingers crossed for you lindadiane. I'm seeing a little bit of improvement every day, less redness, little more flattening of the bumps.

As for the food allergies, try keeping a diary of what you eat and when the itching starts. Might help pinpoint what's causing it. I notice I have flare ups of itching  shortly after I get to work (maybe I'm allergic to work after all?), after I get home and change clothes, and usually wake up during the night scratching. Last night was the first night in nearly 2 months I didn't get woken up. I hope that's a good sign. I'm also noticing that crawling sensation is diminishing.

There's hope.

Offline elseaeff

« Reply #650 on: Thursday May 14, 2009, 06:38:04 PM »
Good Day Girls! :hi:

One of the worse irritants for me is shaving my legs. After I shave, I have so many problems with burning and bleeding and all kinds of things. Then, the hair grows in and I get that crawly sensation because the hairs are growing in and back onto my skin. What a nightmare. I had been getting my legs waxed, but that was getting expensive.

Today I received the "as seen on tv" Ultra Smooth Hair Removal system - yeah, the one where it looks like black sandpaper on a pink rubber hand holder and you just rub the hair away. Well, let me tell you, not only does it remove the hairs, it removes all dry skin, all brown spots, all bumps and all new bumps - no bleeding, no burning. I put vitamin E cream on my skin afterwards and my legs actually look good!

I can't tell you how excited I am about these hair removal things! The skin on my legs is as smooth as a baby's bottom and there are no bumps and I was covered with them!

You've got to try these! I paid $20 for 2 sets of them and they come with 5 refill pads. I only used one pad to do both legs (and my hair was long enough to braid)! I am psyched! I believe I will be able to wear sundresses and shorts this summer!

Thought I'd share this with you, shaving is one of the big problems I had and then the hairs growing back in giving me the creepy crawly feeling was awful. My skin felt like paper. Now it's beautiful for the first time in years!

These things are great~ it also comes with little ones to do your lip, eyebrows or sideburns if you need.

I would do the happy dance if I didn't have a broken foot!

Linda

Offline lindadiane

« Reply #651 on: Thursday May 14, 2009, 11:26:02 PM »
Linda I am trusting you and will order them tonight!!

Dix & Jkel: Also, since starting the Bromelain I have not been waking up so much itching...sometimes on weekends when I wake up atfer 8 or 9 hours sleep...but not during my usual 6-7 hours. If it isn't an instant cure for me I certainly hope it is for you and I will be SO jealous = )

Offline lfn

• Registered member
« Reply #652 on: Friday May 15, 2009, 12:41:45 AM »
wow I may order those pads too! I wonder if they sell them at Walgreens or Target (have a As seen on tv section) I just bought the Bromelain today and will start taking them tomorrow.
What lotion do you all use? It seems my skin gets sooo dry a couple hours after I just moisturized.

Offline elseaeff

« Reply #653 on: Friday May 15, 2009, 03:25:24 AM »
Hey there,

I rotate between Vitamin E (The Body Shop) and Lavender Oil (very light - also the Body Shop). When I shower I use Lavender Baby Oil Gel before I dry. I put it on lightly and rub it in very well, then dry. That way the baby oil gel keeps the moisture in my skin. Lavender is also good for depression...

Of course, Vitamin E is great for skin.

Linda

Offline lindadiane

« Reply #654 on: Friday May 15, 2009, 03:37:07 AM »
Aveeno also makes a great body wash and bath oil with oatmeal and/or lavender and lubriderm is also good.

Offline BarbMac

• Registered member
« Reply #655 on: Friday May 15, 2009, 05:11:31 AM »
Hi Folks.
My name is Barb and I used to be on Suite101.
Three years ago I came down with a bad dose of PLEVA. I actually do not have too many spots to deal with, but my nervous system seems to be under attack. This time I have had problems with my eyes. My Optic nerve malfunctioned. I felt as though I had been punched in the eye hard. Anyway. I went on my old friend Gabapentin and I seem to be doing OK. My whole system is under attack though still and I seem to have to rest and "take care " of myself all the time.
In case none of you know, I had my first bout of this that was diagnosed when I was 27 and am now 65, so that may be some comfort to you fellow sufferers.
I do use a cream when they are red and sore, and if I can catch them before they become too angry this cream really helps. It's called Fucidic acid.
Some one mentioned that it is rather a strong cream, but I do find that it really helps. Three years ago I was pretty much stuck to my bed for about three months and it took a while to get going again. One problem was that It seemed to attack the linings of my legs and I had a hard time walking. This time I can feel all the old soreness but am able to keep going. I do have a pain in the back of one leg that comes and goes, it seems to be bad when I sit down and go to bed, good incentive to keep up and going !!!!!
Three years ago the feeling of tiredness was overwhelming, this time as I say I seem to be able to keep up and running, although I do still feel more tired than I think I should be.
It's great to be back in a forum  Hugs to all. Barb

Offline lindadiane

« Reply #656 on: Friday May 15, 2009, 06:14:51 AM »
Hi Barb:

I was wondering how you were doing. My computer crashed so I was not able to email you any longer. I'm sorry you're having visual issues, but you do sound more mobile then before. It's good to hear from you again!! Warmly, Linda K.  PS How's the music going?

Offline DixieDiva

• Registered member
« Reply #657 on: Friday May 15, 2009, 03:58:27 PM »
I just bought the Bromelain today and will start taking them tomorrow.
What lotion do you all use? It seems my skin gets sooo dry a couple hours after I just moisturized.

Why wait? Start taking the bromelain now, at your next meal. The sooner you start the sooner you may see results. They taste good too! Here's some other possible uses for bromelain: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bromelain and another article from University of Maryland: http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/bromelain-000289.htm, so lindadiane, the improvement in your sinus condition may well be the result of the bromelain.

Lotion - I've been using Nature's Gate Tea Tree Lotion from webvitamins.com: http://www.webvitamins.com/product.aspx?id=3827 Tea Tree oil has a lot of anti-everything properties, and I actually like the smell of it, although some may not. Emu oil is another good moisturizer and can also be found at webvitamins.com, although it can be pricey.

A friend of mine who's had Grover's used Lac-Hydrin lotion at her dermatologist's suggestion. Wal-Mart carries a generic form called AmLactin, available from the pharmacy without a prescription. It contains lactic acid which may be irritating and burn or sting if you've been scratching. It's also kinda sticky and smells like amonnia, but after using it once last night I noticed less redness this morning. Not sure that it's a cure, but it might help your dry skin. A little goes a long way, a 14 oz bottle was about $11.

I also take Evening Primrose Oil which is good for helping skin, and also good for breast health. And I try to drink as much water as I can to keep hydrated on the inside.

Offline lfn

• Registered member
« Reply #658 on: Saturday May 16, 2009, 01:07:34 AM »
I am nursing right now and want to wait to hear back from my doc on this. Everything I read seems to indicate there isn't any research or data to say if it's okay to take while breastfeeding. It does say not to take if pregnant.
anyone take Bromelain while nursing?

Offline Dan101

• Registered member
« Reply #659 on: Wednesday May 20, 2009, 12:43:38 PM »
Hello,

I'd like to introduce myself, and talk a little about Bromelain.

I'm in my mid 40's, and I was diagnosed about 6 months ago with PLC - I've had it for a little over a year.  Based on what I've read here, I would characterize my case as typical, and not severe.  I have lots of spots that come and go - never on my head, and rarely on my extremities.  They sometimes itch lightly.

I've tried an anti-viral medication Valacyclovir (Valtrex) - I had Shingles occur in the middle - which was ineffective.  I came here and learned about Bromelain, and after trying pineapple for a little while, which seemed to help slightly, (maybe), I decided to go for the Bromelain.

I wanted to report on my ongoing progress with the Bromelain, which I just started taking a week ago, regardless of whether it works or not, just so there would be another data point.

Those looking for more information on Bromelain, can find the small study of 8 patients linked at the bottom.  I noted this study did not include a control group, double-blind methodologies, or other qualities that would make the study more impactful.  (If anyone is aware of any other studies, I would be interested in hearing about them.)  Their report indicates what to do and mentions that no side effects were encountered.  However, I would caution people to read up on Bromelain because it can have side effects.

The dosage called for in the study is apparently fairly low, at 40mg, 3x per day for a month, and tapering down from there.  As many of you have found, finding pills as small as this is somewhat difficult, most are 250mg, 500mg, or even greater.  The higher dose pills can be used for inflammation control and pain relief.  Here's a tip, look for the chewables - they're the only ones that seem to come in this dosage, and are quite tasty too :-). 

I wound up with a 100mg chewable tablet found at Whole Foods.  I did find some web sites with the 40mg dosage and was going to order if I couldn't find it locally, which I did.  If you search "bromelain chewable 40 mg" on google, you'll find plenty of hits.

For the first week, I did not reduce the pills to the dosage as indicated in the study, but took 100mg 3x per day.  I am now cutting the pills in approximately half, so I'm now taking pretty close to the indicated dosing.

I've got to get to work now, but I'll report on my progress to date later, and then hopefully on a regular basis.  I'll just say that so far, signs are positive.

The study by Massimiliano R, Pietro R, Paolo S, Sara P, Michele F.:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17671882?dopt=AbstractPlus

Additional info:
http://www.raysahelian.com/bromelain.html

Take care all,

Dan