Author Topic: Pityriasis Lichenoides Chronica  (Read 549030 times)

Offline hxtc2

• Registered member
Re: Pityriasis Lichenoides Chronica
« Reply #960 on: Tuesday September 30, 2014, 03:40:07 AM »
Hi TLCforPLC! I've been having what looks like PLC for coming to 6 months now, i haven't gone for a biopsy but after multiple misdiagnosis ranging from folliculitis to eczema, finally during my last visit a few months ago the doctor told me it could be PLC and so I went to research and it indeed seems very similar and i'm convinced it's PLC. I've noticed my lesions are triggered most by smoking and being under stress.

Anyways, I too get the hyper pigmentation left in the wake of my lesions when they scale off, and i have a solution for you if they do get darker. I have terrible patches of brown skin and how i got it to lighten is by creating a mask
I mix

Turmeric powder (better if you can find it fresh and grind them into the mask)
Gram flour/besan( chickpea flour)
Yoghurt
some lemon juice. (lemon has bleaching properties, however if you choose to add lemon do make sure you moisturize well after applying)
Honey (Honey acts as a humectant thus it's moisturising properties,while also being anti bacterial) optional

apply them all over where you would have these patches. It is a rather messy process and turmeric is notorious for staining, so be sure to be careful. You can use cling wrap and wrap it after applying it and leave it for an hour or so. Do this about 2-3 times in a week and you should be able to notice a big difference by the second week

Good luck and don't give up everyone!

:)
« Last Edit: Tuesday September 30, 2014, 03:48:51 AM by hxtc2 »

Offline FeliciaFawn

• Registered member
« Reply #961 on: Friday November 28, 2014, 12:50:01 AM »
Any tips on how to fade the leftover brown marks?  :-[

Offline khrid3

• Registered member
« Reply #962 on: Monday May 04, 2015, 05:18:36 PM »
Hello, Im from Philippines and i am suffering from PLC since 2004 and up until now i have occasional minimal breakdowns from PLC. (not totally cured)

First of all, since i have this disease for 11 years now, i want to share my experience with you all, I am now 19 years old. I have undergone treatments such as UVB therapy (50++ sessions) and Steroids-medication (for half a year) . UVB therapy helped to cure the present lesion but still, new red marks arrive after some time. On the other hand, i didn't notice any improvements when i was taking co-steroidal medications - thinking now that it may have just destroyed my body while taking it.

Now, I think i partially know the real cause of new lesions coming out. Stress and sickness make it go wild. More specifically, anything that makes our immune system weaker makes lesions appear such as being awake overnight, common colds and other sickness).

My doctor first introduced me the IgCo milk which have the same nutrients from the human breastmilk which is believed to strengthen our  immune system while we were still babies. It costs too much in our part since we are not that rich to avail it, that's why i only drank it for a short time. I can't give more information about the results of drinking it but i believed it would really help strengthen our immune system and therefore help in our disease such as PLC..

As an alternative, we tried having Malungai LifeOil ( i don't know where it originates - but it is widely available in our country ) but it is a herbal supplement which is also believed to strengthen our bodies. I've been taking it for a year now and i am glad with the results. Unlike before, I can stay overnight for school works without having many lesions or no lesions at all. There is no new lesions whenever i catch common colds and flu. I can say that this is quite effective. I am just taking it once daily before bedtime ( time is not a big deal though, you can also try it to take twice a day since it is just a herbal supplement -- just remember that too much is dangerous)

The only problem now that i am suffering is how the leaved marks clears out my skin. Whenever red marks become healed, it becomes brown and it surely stays visible in our skin for a long time. Also, i am not fully cured but i hope that in the near future, we will all be free from this disease!

I hope that i am able to share my experience with PLC . Just trust to God that we will be healed. Amen.

Offline RimaKurt

• Registered member
« Reply #963 on: Thursday May 07, 2015, 03:08:25 AM »
Hi I'm from Manila, Philippines too. I'm glad to read your post as you're a Filipino too. I've been battling PLC for nearly 2 years now. Badly need someone near me and hear their stories about their PLC condition. I want to ask something about your previous treatment and also the supplement you mentioned. Thank you and regards :)

Admin Note:
Please use PMs rather than post email addresses. This board is open to everyone, including spammers and email address harvesters. Your profile page and PMs are not.
« Last Edit: Tuesday May 12, 2015, 05:45:28 AM by M@t »

Offline khrid3

• Registered member
« Reply #964 on: Thursday May 07, 2015, 10:40:04 AM »
reply sent to your email :) .. To be exact, i'm from Quezon City , Philippines, i am glad i am able to meet one PLC patient like me in my country.. I'm glad about this platform where we can all share our thoughts about PLC :D

to add something about my previous comment:

1) in my 11 years of fighting to this disease, i have observed that PLC is immune-system related wherein when we are sick or stressed, it breaks out to the extent. Please try to observe yourselves regarding this matter for us to confirm this idea.

2) I'll agree that Sunshine and seawater would be best for us. PLC treatment includes UVB phototeraphy procedure. controlled ultra violet rays (which comes from the sun) would be best to our skin ( i said controlled since, we should keep in mind that we should prevent too much UV since it is dangerous and also for us to prevent sun burns )

3) we should all try to boost our immune system - take vitamins and other immune-system boosting drugs/food and as well as prevent stress and sleep early ( in my part - i found Malungay LifeOil to be effective - been taking it up for around less than 2 years and the effects were really noticeable)

Offline RimaKurt

• Registered member
« Reply #965 on: Thursday May 07, 2015, 11:27:10 AM »
Hi i have read your email thanks for the response I already replied back how nice to know you and  hear ur stories dealing with PLC thanks and regards,

Offline Bell09

• Registered member
« Reply #966 on: Saturday July 04, 2015, 01:31:34 AM »
Hey hey!
So I've posted before but a little while back so I'm going to share my experience with PLC up to now. I've had PLC all my life, my mother said since I was in diapers, I am now 19 years old. I have breakouts that occur on my inner thighs and buttocks & strictly there. I feel lucky that they are in a hidden place, but then again, "lucky" to have PLC might be the wrong term lol. I originally went to my pediatrician who said it was eczema, she immediately gave a topical steroid, mometasone furoate cream .01%. At that age I never felt like keeping up with it so i never used it. I went to the derm. eventually who took a biopsy and diagnosed me with PLC. Anywho, last year i decided to try out the steroid every time I would get a "breakout." I would apply it until the spots went away and a few days after and I stayed completely spot-free. If I started to have another breakout, I'd apply some more cream and boom, it was gone again! Worked miracles..... for abouuuut, 6 months  :-X The steroids gave me terrible, terrible stretch marks. I immediately stopped using it. The mometasone made my skin so thin and gave me almost 1 inch thick striations... So now i have PLC spots AND huge strech marks *slaps forehead*... So I've decided to stay away from the meds & try my own home remedies. Stress and sickness are DEFINITELY a factor, as i have a cold now and my skin is going crazy >:( Now, I use African Black Soap everyday in the shower which clears it up pretty well (I think im going to kick it up to twice a day) & I moisturize with vitamin E oil, which isn't too heavy.  I'm going to start a bromelain regime and buy a tanning membership. Sun always helps, but its hard for me to do that and without having my cheeks out lol. Eventually I will update you all to how these things work out for me. ;D
 Well wishes!!

Offline hxtc2

• Registered member
« Reply #967 on: Friday July 10, 2015, 10:33:27 AM »
Hi guys.
I'm so happy to see there are still people posting on this forum and sharing their advice.
I'm losing motivation to fight this strange condition.
To date, it's been a year since I had my first spot.
I have to say they're definitely a lot less than when they first happened, but they still come up everywhere from the soles of my palms, my inner arms, the back of my knees and some parts of my thighs..the sides of my stomach and also towards the trunk, sides of my underarms.

I've noticed my skin is overall a lot drier than it used to be, and the folds of my skin are a lot darker. Overall I am covered in patches of hyperpigmentation and hypopigmentation and it makes me so sad.

I've tried erythromycin to no avail, I did try doxycycline but i didn not finish the course because i developed esophagitis. I ordered bromelain but seem to get an allergic reaction from it too. I'm losing hope and i almost can't look in the mirror anymore.

It shows up on my face as well, leaving red spots that seem to last for months and also some darker hyperpigmentation on my forehead and neck.

I don't know what to do anymore. I know it's not life threatening, but it's just something that makes me want to scrub my skin off when i see it.
I hope more people write about their experiences and what has helped them.

I'm considering to complete a course of tetracycline next.

Offline 7taiga7

• Registered member
« Reply #968 on: Tuesday July 14, 2015, 07:02:40 AM »
Hi everyone,
I was diagnosed with pityriasis lichenoides in January 2015, but it has been over a year now since my first spots (began in June 2014). I woke up one day, had a bath, and noticed a line of red dots on my arm. Confused, I asked doctors if it was bed bugs, they recommended a derm but 3 days later an itchy rash came up. And within a week, this huge rash had covered my arms, back, and was going up my neck and face. It was unbearably itchy and I could not bend my arms because they were swollen. I had to go to emergency (after a week of suffering and seeing 5 doctors, 4 derms and a skin allergist) and they finally prescribed a steroid ointment that got rid of this itchy rash.

But, I knew there was something else going on. These little spots were 'white' and like 'dimples' against the rash, like the rash surrounded them and was swollen but these little spots were still flat. After the itchy rash was gone (diagnosed as urticaria) these spots were still here. It took 6 months for someone to tell me why I had all these brown scaly spots on me, which seems like a short amount of time compared to some of the people on this post.

Steroid ointments and creams? Don't work.
UV light therapy? Eh, temporary relief but gives expected sensitive skin
Antihistamines? I find if I take 25mg of phenergan before bed, I will wake up and they will be less 'raised'.

I have depression and I am anxious. I am hard on myself and its hard to be positive about this. I read about other writer's children being okay with it and explaining it to other kids, and that truly is precious and you should be so grateful your child is so strong. Its an inspiration.

I met a lovely girl on social network while searching for this disease, and she told me what worked for her.

Does anyone notice that when they wake up, the spots seem less angry? Or that they are SUPER angry after a shower?

For two weeks I did a trial of what this lady told me to do, and you may cringe because it sounds dirty and unhygienic but it really helped. NO showering, and only bathing a couple times a week. The point of this is that your natural skin oils will try to heal the spots itself, and by showering everyday it is stripping the skin of these oils. It is an extremely difficult lifestyle change to make, especially since I work almost every night and I am expected to be clean. But its amazing how just getting a cloth and wiping your privates and armpits, washing your feet, washing your face and washing your hair in the sink can make you feel. The way I see it, the hot water opens up these spots and makes them angry, so the point is to avoid steam. So when you take a bath 2 times a week, the water should only be lukewarm. So yes, I did this for 2 weeks before I had to go on holiday (where a bath was not available).

On my holiday I showered everyday and the spots raged and even stung because they were opening up to raw skin (i.e. peeling before they were ready to peel).

I thought I would share this with everyone here... I'm not sure if many will try it but I am happy to talk to anyone about this. I will post updates in a couple months since I am back from holidays now and I can go back to the no showering lifestyle.

Offline duckie

• Registered member
« Reply #969 on: Thursday July 16, 2015, 02:03:23 AM »
Hello,

If the first Doc who diagnosed me is correct and the red blister like things were connected, then Ive had this for over 20 years.It did not get bad until about 6 years ago when I became very ill. A host  of medical symptoms like an URI that lasted months on end. They started giving me steroids on a regular basis because i couldn't breath, that's when things got really bad and I developed very large lesions typically seen with HIV.That's when I had a biopsy done. I am covered from the bottom of my feet to the top of my head in sores. Unlike (the very few of us)most people who have this, the typical therapies make me worse. I tried light therapy and it got a thousand times worse, now I can not be in the sun for even a few minutes without a severe break out, inflammation and terrible itchiness. Immune suppressors make it worse.

I have found that the more my body is filled with yeast the worse I get. The worse it gets the worse I feel or vise versa.  I actually had a very good Naturalpathic Doctor who tried all kinds of unconventional medicines and natural remedies with some short term success. Unfortunately she passed away and I have not been able to find another competent Doctor who will experiment on me and actually listen to me. I am miserable. I constantly itch, can't sleep, my sores bleed and puss.I was hoping I would find some alternative therapies on here but I guess we are all pretty much in the same crappy boat.

Offline plc2015

• Registered member
« Reply #970 on: Wednesday September 16, 2015, 05:01:22 AM »
Hello all,

I was diagnosed with PLEVA in April 2013, after having an initial eruption of red spots that were mistakenly diagnosed as a viral exanthem, folliculitis, allergic dermatitis, the whole nine yards (as some of you may have experienced).

Since then, I've tired various remedies prescribed by my dermatologist, as well as natural remedies based on what I've read on the internet and on this forum. UV treatment worked but was temporary, and I experienced no lasting benefit from antibiotics, enteric bromelain, etc. I am hyper-skeptical by training, so I've done my best to be very methodical about trying each approach in isolation to measure the impact.

After more than two years (I am 24 now), I was definitely losing hope, and had resolved to live with the condition (my derm has since downgraded me to just "normal" PLC). But I finally found something that worked for me to clear up 90% of my lesions, and I wanted to share it with this forum, since it's been so helpful for me.

I discovered this completely by accident. I was seeing a naturopath for generalized stomach/digestive issues, and he prescribed the following regimen to clear up what he assessed to be "leaky gut":

Thorne Perma Clear: 3 pills twice a day, tapering to 2 pills twice a day and then 2 pills once a day over the course of two months
Thorne Gi-Encap: 2 pills twice a day, tapering to 1 pill twice a day and then 1 pill once a day over the course of two months
Thorne Mediclear Plus: follow the "stomach cleanse" regimen as prescribed, and then one serving a day at breakfast
Cut down on caffeine, processed foods, sugar, gluten, and meat for a month, then reintroduce slowly

Thorne is a brand that makes high-quality supplements. They did wonders for my stomach -- but what surprised me is that my lesions started to fade along with my digestive symptoms!!

I was honestly floored by this outcome. I had been told by a naturopathic doctor once before that the true origin of the PLC lesions had something to do with toxins emerging from my stomach, but being the skeptic that I am, I didn't believe him. But the results are unmistakable: I've been on the "maintenance" portion of this regimen for about a month and the leisions haven't come back!

This is not a miracle cure -- I still get a few spots here and there. But they are 90% gone. It is true that the PLC could have decided to relapse on its own, coinciding with when I started taking the stomach-clearing regimen. I'm too chicken to stop taking the pills, because I don't want to risk the spots coming back :) and besides, they are great for my stomach!

Fair warning: the Thorne products aren't cheap. But I thought I would share my story here, in case it helped anyone. My general perspective is that if all modern medicine can do is *shrug* at this condition, sometimes it can pay off to try an alternate approach.

Please post if you end up trying this and it works! And good luck.

Offline Hira

• Registered member
« Reply #971 on: Sunday April 03, 2016, 08:20:36 PM »
I am suffering from PLC. I had it from almost 5 years. But i could not found any proper treatment for it. Then i saw your post and hoped that you will help me. I want to know that Is there are any side effects doxycline hyclate during your treatment or after it? Secondly, i want to know that what foods or something you have to avoid while taking this medicine or after it? Thank you

Offline rebel2000

• Registered member
« Reply #972 on: Tuesday April 26, 2016, 07:54:01 PM »
i also read that doxycycline is a remedy. although let's hear from the group if someone has undergone treatment using it.

Offline elseaeff

• Blast it, this stuff is itchy!
« Reply #973 on: Tuesday April 26, 2016, 08:37:30 PM »
No medication I've found will help. My derm says 5 min of sunshine a day, hydroxizine for the itch and Gold Bond bumpy skin cream. It not only removes the little bumps on the back of your arms and legs, but it removes the brown spots from PLC.
   I have tried everything, diagnosed 2003, and I am hardly bothered with the PLC.
Forget about getting rid of it, it will wax and wane at its discretion. We're changing the water in the pool to saltwater which my derm said may help.
   Regards
Linda

Offline dgfehrmann

• Registered member
« Reply #974 on: Saturday June 11, 2016, 02:17:07 AM »
Hello everyone,

This is my first time here and my first time ever writing in a forum. I'm 26 years old male and was diagnosed with PLC 4 years ago after a trip I've made to Central America and I'm here to tell my personal experience. It all started when I was travelling through Colombia and I saw an abnormal spot on my skin. In the beginning I thought it was a mosquito bite, which you get loads in tropical weather, but then it got darker and bigger without even touching it. A few months later back in my country, I started to get the same abnormal wounds, but this time there were about 3 of them. I got scared so I decided to go to the derm asap, who later told me that I had this rare skin disorder called pityriasis lichenoides.

First treatment I tried was topic corticosteroids, which only helped to make the wounds smaller but it didn't make them fade away quicker. Then I tried with a topic cream containing Tacrolimus, which is said to control autoimmune reactions. For me it had almost the same effect than the corticosteroids and it was much more expensive. Third treatment I had was short wave length UVB radiation for almost 2 months (3 sessions per week). This last one had some results, as it kept me spot free for about 3 months, but sadly it was not a cure, as the spots started to show up again after a while. However, whenever I have an outbreak I only get about 3 lesions mainly on my legs or torso, I guess I'm "lucky" for having a few only now. Though I can't attribute it to the UVB radiation, but it I think it is worth a try, the derm told me that for some people it has good results.

From my personal experience I am convinced that this has to do with the immune system as every time I get stressed or sick, some spots appear after a week, which is the same behaviour that can be observed in viruses. Yet virus symptoms bloom because our defenses are low and maybe PLC outbreaks are caused because our immune system goes under a big struggle and reacts on a "crazy" way, attacking our own cells causing necrosis. I don't know, looks possible to me. Maybe having so many mosquito bites for almost one month (and a bit of bad luck) caused my immune system to react this way now, whenever I have big fight between my immune system and a patogen? So many questions and possibilities but no clear answer at all.

Continuing with my experience, another fact that I've noticed is that if you touch, rub or scratch the lesion it will get much worse. In fact, all the lesions that I've had on parts like the armpits or groins, tend to be bigger and hurt more because of the rub. On the other hand, lesions in other parts of the body are almost symptom free and tend to leave a smaller scar, as long as I don't touch them.

I've made quite a research on this topic, since doctors don't know much about this and all they do is try with different treatments and see if any works for you. So best we can do is try, consciously, treatments that have worked for other people and hope for the best. For my next step I will try with an antiviral, which I've read that in some cases they've worked pretty well. This makes some sense to me considering the outbreaks of PLC behave like the ones caused by a virus, maybe it could help. I will post in the future about if there's any progress.

Hopefuly my personal experience and opinion can help, I believe that somewhere in the near future medics will find a cure for this, but until then we have to keep looking for ourselves and never lose hope. All the best for everyone!
« Last Edit: Saturday June 11, 2016, 02:40:51 AM by dgfehrmann »

Offline zeeandcee

• Registered member
« Reply #975 on: Tuesday August 02, 2016, 01:55:08 AM »
Hi everyone!

I was first diagnosed 5 years ago with PLC and the dermatologist put me on antibiotics for 6 months. This worked however it thinned my skin and I get sunburn a lot easier now.

I had little spots here and there over the last 5 yrs but nothing major however a month ago my PLC came back pretty bad. I've got spots all over my legs, arms and stomach. I don't want to go back on the antibiotics again because its damage my skin even further.

I've started on Bromelain 5 days ago and it looks like it has calmed my skin down. I am in Australia so its winter here and obviously there is a lack of sun (cant wait for summer).

At night I am so itchy that I can't even sleep! I've just started to go gluten and dairy free because I've read a lot of forums and they say that an unhealthy stomach is the first trigger to skin conditions.

I am hoping Bromelain will work for me, I know it takes time so I'll update everyone on it.

In terms of the itch, can any suggest any home remedies? Thanks!

Offline candidlyarviann

• Registered member
« Reply #976 on: Tuesday August 02, 2016, 06:39:10 AM »
Hello there!

I'm Arvi Ann and I'm also here in Australia. I've been suffering from pityriasis lichenoides chronica for a year now. Anyways, I've also ordered bromelain and I hope it helps me as well. :) Regarding the itch, dermaveen skin relief ointment works for me. :)

Offline zeeandcee

• Registered member
« Reply #977 on: Tuesday August 02, 2016, 10:04:51 AM »
Do you ever use oatmeal bath to reduce the itching? If so what is your process? Do you still moisturise after the bath?

Offline candidlyarviann

• Registered member
« Reply #978 on: Tuesday August 02, 2016, 10:24:25 AM »
Nope. But I use mild products with oatmeal.Oh, and  I think it's safe to moisturise after. :) Do you take any medications aside from bromelain?

Offline zeeandcee

• Registered member
« Reply #979 on: Wednesday August 03, 2016, 03:22:57 AM »
I used to take antibiotics the very first time i got it (5yrs ago) but that kind of stuffed my skin up. It thinned my skin and now I get sun burn a lot easier!

Since I've only had little spots here and there so it never bothered me until a month ago where it flared up pretty bad. Since I don't want to take antibiotics again I am trying to find other options.

I've been on Bromelain and just trying to get as much sun as I can (sun baking for an hr a day), for the last week and i feel much better. The spots are there but it seems to calm down a little.

Are you any medication?