Author Topic: How to cure Psoriasis through Diet- My personal experience  (Read 43490 times)

Offline MarieC

• SkinCell Grand
  • Fa Shizzle
Re: How to cure Psoriasis through Diet- My personal experience
« Reply #20 on: Friday January 21, 2005, 03:30:00 AM »
fish oil..we've discussed this lurker...lol.
YUCK.
and flax has a higher concentration of EFA's in it.

Offline lurker

• SkinCell Grand
  • Shadow
  • Lurking SkinCell Member
« Reply #21 on: Friday January 21, 2005, 03:32:14 AM »
Right, the yuck factor...

What about the capsules?

Also, what about just eating the flax seeds themselves?  I heard that is a good method.

Probably sticking my nose into something I shouldn't here ;)

- lurker

Offline MarieC

• SkinCell Grand
  • Fa Shizzle
« Reply #22 on: Friday January 21, 2005, 03:37:00 AM »
I do a detoxification diet every few months for two weeks at a time.  Except for a few reoccuring areas, it's helped me dramatically..

just noticed these posts since im on this thread..
i also do a "detox" sort of diet by drinking green drinks, adding a lot of dark greens in my diet. they say its the best way to cleanse toxins out. it is one of the most helpful things ive done to my diet.

in regards to Atkins diet and flare-ups..Atkins diet also makes the body too acidic. acidic body-toxic overload=flare ups. Atkins is mostly effective for weight loss.

Offline MarieC

• SkinCell Grand
  • Fa Shizzle
« Reply #23 on: Friday January 21, 2005, 03:40:29 AM »
lurker-you can do either, capsules or liquid, its really a matter or preference. also the flax capsules, you'd have to take like 10 of them to equal the tablespoon a day thing.
 i just have this thing with liquid supplements=absorbed quicker.
i also supplement my diet with ground flax seeds once in awhile too. theyre good to put into your baking etc..i also put those in yogurt sometimes too. great anti-inflammatory properties.

Offline Gary

• SkinCell Friend
  • Entertainment Guru
« Reply #24 on: Friday January 21, 2005, 04:04:09 AM »
curing psoriasis

I just want to correct something, and I hope I'm not out of line in saying this, but... 

There is no cure yet, only relief and remission.

If your P goes away, it always has the chance of coming back.

Using a diet, oils, creams, etc. are only ways to -control- our psoriasis, not cure it.

Although we're getting closer by the year (most recently with the advancement of "biologics") medical science still hasn't found a cure per se.

Sorry to be such a stickler about the terminology, but you'll see a lot of misleading information out there that claims to "cure". 

It's the greatest word to hear in terms of psoriasis, and at the same time - the most misleading.

I'm glad to hear that other people are experiencing long-term remission through diets, though.  It's great when you don't have to go through rigorous treatment regimens.

Some folks aren't as lucky.  :-\
"He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it. " - Douglas Adams

Offline Sky Doctor

• SkinCell God
  • of Calculated Perfection
  • Hear me roar
« Reply #25 on: Friday January 21, 2005, 05:27:52 AM »
I've read lately that Fish oil is a better alternative to Flax oil. Can't come up with a reference on the fly though, sorry.

What's so hard about throwing back a tablespoon of flaxseed oil? Just take a gulp of water after, no problem! There are much worse tasting remedies out there.

Sky Doctor ;)
No stranger to alienation

Offline MarieC

• SkinCell Grand
  • Fa Shizzle
« Reply #26 on: Saturday January 22, 2005, 03:36:35 AM »
no matter what different methods we all use to control our conditions, whether it be through diet or drugs, it isn't a cure. it is only a matter of controlling our conditions. even if it is thrown into remission through diet, going back to improper nutrition will most likely bring the condition back... and
through drugs, the system is only being supressed and will also come back once the therapy is discontinued or the person becomes tolerant to it.

regarding flaxseed oil...it has the richest source of Omega-3's in it-over 57% than fish oils, and requires less processing which also makes it 80% cheaper than fish oil.

Offline greaser

• Registered member
« Reply #27 on: Monday February 07, 2005, 02:23:58 AM »
i agree: flaxseed oil tastes foul.  it got to the point where i was retching at the thought of taking it.  so i tried fish oil capsules.  my dietician actually recommended the fish oil because she thought our bodies metabolise the oil better.  anyway i took it twice before i had to stop.  why you might ask?  (sorry this is gross - vegetarians, i apologise)  Fishy burps!  I'm walking along to work and thinking, damn I can taste fish - what's the deal I didn't have fish for breakfast, or did I?!  Ewwww - this was worse than the flaxseed oil.  so now i'm trying to ease myself back into the flaxseed and failing...  i know it takes up to 3 months for the benefits to really begin, but...  anyway, my pharmacist wants me to try Evening Primrose Oil.  His theory is fish oil is good for joints, and EPOs for skin.  i don't know.  and i just can't seem to stop eating sugar.

Offline glam

• Registered member
« Reply #28 on: Saturday March 05, 2005, 03:31:09 AM »
I've been on a diet for about 7 months...its wasnt as strict as sheroo's though.
i started juicing every day...and my P got worse...i wonder why :'(

peterb

« Reply #29 on: Saturday March 05, 2005, 08:14:33 AM »
Hi glam

A warm welcome to Skincell.  Diet has never worked for me either, trouble with P is, what works for one doesn't work for another.  It is the nature of the condition.

Offline glam

• Registered member
« Reply #30 on: Saturday March 05, 2005, 01:08:56 PM »
its true..i still think that the diet is the cure for P....for some it just takes longer than for others..
no matter what it is...we should never give up >:( ;D

Offline vera

• Registered SkinCell Member
« Reply #31 on: Saturday March 05, 2005, 03:19:30 PM »
Greaser, that's funny... ;D yeah, fishy burps is the one side effect of fish oils. Myself, I prefer to eat fatty fish twice a week. Same benefit.

I am hearing good things about black currant oil. Maybe worth trying. And I have never had a problem with burps from flax oil gelcaps.

Offline glam

• Registered member
« Reply #33 on: Sunday March 06, 2005, 02:36:40 PM »
"fishy burps"

:roll:

Offline Alohamora

• SkinCell God
« Reply #34 on: Thursday June 15, 2006, 10:47:24 PM »
Then about 2 months ago, my hands and feet started to blister and as I said I ended up in hospital. Doctors couldn't tell me what was wrong except that I had psoriosis.

I read the article about PPP from Dr. Masuru Maebashi

(http:www3.ocn.ne.jp/~hpps/english/english.html)

regarding recovering from PPP.  PPP has been linked to a biotin (vitamin B) deficiency. BIotin is needed for hair, skin, and nails. It also produces good bacteria in your intestines.  Well I've been through it all (intestines, skin, hair and nails) and decided that I couldn't process vitamin B properly so I started juicing and eating good natural foods just like you![/size]

Bumping a very old thread. The posts at the top of the thread about diet and psoriasis are very interesting.  The little blurb about biotin, especially so.

I'm also reading that biotin deficiency is realted to seborrhea. ( the problem I'm trying to solve for myself right now. )

Biotin

Biotin is essential for the metabolism of fats and carbohydrates, as well as for cell formation. The use of fatty acids in the body could not occur without biotin. This B vitamin assists in protein metabolism and the body's use of other B vitamins, especially pantothenic acid, folic acid and B12. The hair, nails and skin need biotin for health and luster. As a supplement, it has proved particularly useful in the treatment of seborrhea. Available in food and supplements, biotin is also produced by healthy intestinal bacteria.

The supplement is usually available as biotin, but also as biocytin
http://www.alive.com/2584a8a2.php?subject_bread_cramb=116[/size]

Looking through the archives some more I see others have talked about biotin but noone has really followed up to say if it's helped or not. 

« Last Edit: Thursday June 15, 2006, 11:22:18 PM by Alohamora »
You are what you eat.

Offline Aquababe241

• SkinCell God
« Reply #35 on: Saturday October 26, 2013, 06:20:57 PM »
Hi there! Some of these older posts are soooo interesting! My diet is similar to this lady's, bu I mostly have veggie juice with 1 or 2 green apples to flavour it nicely.  Udos oil is a 369 blend of fatty acids in the right ratio and is cheaper than Barleans flax/evening primrose oil blend. I have 1 large avocado blended in with my juice and my skin is Much Much better than the past year and a half. Never eating out again except once a month and rice is definitely a No-No.

Lunch is roast chicken and salad with avocado of course. Dinner is the same or quinoa and African veg stew. I want to maintain my weight and so eat cashews, almonds and flaxseed meal. My hair has grown back thicker than ever and it is still black even though am 49 in November. Tonya Zavasta is my mentor.

Though I am not 100% raw am pretty close with all the smoothies I have each morning.

Smoothie normally contains beet root, carrots, celery, cucumber, 2 green apples, lemon juice and a slice of raw ginger. Then blended with one avocado. I normally have 3-4 glasses of this each morning, with 15 mins break in between.

It has taken me a while to eat a balanced plan like this, but the benefits are worth it.  All kick-started by a guy called Jason Vale.

Hope this helps someone...take care!
It's really nice to be free, free to be me
I'd rather be free and happy
Than nobody and sad