Author Topic: ALL PPP READ POSSIBLE CURE IN JAPAN  (Read 3760 times)

Offline catinjapan

• Registered member
  • Registered SkinCell Member
ALL PPP READ POSSIBLE CURE IN JAPAN
« on: Friday October 22, 2004, 10:27:59 AM »
Okay here you go; i live in japan and i have generalized pp so i don't know if it will work for me but for PPP patients you might have an out !!! please read this and you can follow it to his home page I hope it is not just a kettle dream!!

http://www3.ocn.ne.jp/~hpps/15th/palmoplantar.html

this is really a follow up from another post way back that i made.. i will email him today for my own condition.. and hope!
take care all

Offline gimpt

• Registered member
Re: ALL PPP READ POSSIBLE CURE IN JAPAN
« Reply #1 on: Sunday October 24, 2004, 03:29:55 PM »
I have PPP and just read your post and article on biotin. I posted another message earlier but I need to add this.

From Presription for Nutritional Healing by James Balch,M.D. and Phyliis Balch, C.N.C., "Biotin aids in cell growth, in fatty acid production, in the metabolism of of carbohydrates, fats, and proteins and in the utilization of B complex vitamins. Sufficient quantitites are needed for healthy hair and skin. Biotin may prevent hair loss in men. Biotin also promotes healthy sweat glands, nerve tissue and bone marrow.

Biotin is found in cooked egg yolk, salt water fish, meat, milk, poultry, soybeans, whole grains and yeast."

I am feeling better and my skin has dramatically improved since juicing and eating soybeans and whole grains. 

Offline floridian

« Reply #2 on: Monday November 01, 2004, 12:54:26 PM »
Thanks for the link - hope it pans out. 

Given the link between biotin production and intestinal bacteria, it does make some sense.   

Offline Nick

• SkinCell Friend
  • SkinCell buddy
    • SkinCell
« Reply #3 on: Monday November 01, 2004, 02:09:32 PM »
I followed that linkage to Biotin and found some technical and non-technical info that may ring some bells with fellow PPP sufferers.

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/vitamins/biotin/

Hands up all those of us with brittle finger nails  !   :hi:

Cat! Well done ! That was a great find.

Offline Tom1

• Registered member
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday December 01, 2004, 07:22:00 AM »
This Dr. Maebashi theory has had me intrigued for the past year. It sounds like he might be on the right track.

My girlfriend has PPP and I am trying to help. My hope that is that others here can join in the discussion and help me research and determine if this protocol is effective or not.

To test his protocol, we have no problem getting access to Biotin, but the "friendly bacteria" Clostridium butyricum Miyairi (also known as brand name of Miya-BM)  does not appear to be available in the U.S.  It is apparently a probiotic bacteria used as anti-diarrheal medicine in Japan. Does anyone have a source for this? I was able to find this page with some information about it, but no product to purchase: http://www.miyarisan.com/english_main.htm

From http://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/pdfs/biotin.pdf

Treatment of sternocostoclavicular hyperstosis patients with low serum biotin levels -
Maebashi et al (1993b) reported that oral administration of biotin (9 mg/day, along with
3 g of an antimicrobial drug, Miya- BM, included to prevent intestinal microflora
degradation of biotin) to 30 patients suffering from sternocostoclavicular hyperstosis
resulted in the correction of previous metabolic abnormalities (hyperglycaemia, serum
amino acids and fatty acids) and clinical improvement.

Treatment of hyperinsulinaemia and impaired glucose tolerance -
Oral administration of biotin (9 mg/day, along with 3 g of an antimicrobial drug, Miya-
BM, x 28 days) resulted in the correction of hyperglycaemia, with no change in serum
insulin levels, in 28 patients with non-insulin dependent diabetes (Maebashi et al,
1999a).

Offline Tom1

• Registered member
« Reply #5 on: Saturday December 04, 2004, 10:02:43 PM »
Here is the main article to be discussed.  From http://www3.ocn.ne.jp/~hpps/15th/palmoplantar.html

Palmoplantar pustulosis is œcurable disease !

Palmoplantar pustulosis has been now considered as an incurable skin disease characterized by pustular eruptions on the palms and soles of the feet. The patients with this disease have been obliged to grieve their misfortune and to endure the illness for a long time with the doctor's informations that the cause of this disease is not clear and that there is no adequate treatment regime for it.
I was a patient who had been distressed by this cursed disease with severe chest pain and backache by which I could hardly remove and sleep for 10 years, until I received the medical treatment by Dr. Maebashi in the National Akita Hospital in Japan before 9 years. Thanks to Dr. Maebashi, I completely recovered from the disease and now enjoy my life without any trouble. Dr. Maebashi has made researches in palmoplantar pustulosis and cured a number of the patients with this disease by his beneficial treatment established by him. The details of my life under medical treatment were described previously.

On the basis of my experience, I wanted to inform this good news to peoples who are now suffering from this disease and so I requested to Dr. Maebashi to describe about the disease on this site.

By Dr. Masaru Maebashi

On April last year, I gave a special lecture about palmoplantar pustulosis and sternocostoclavicuar hyperostosis on the 18th Annual Congress of the Japanese Society of Clinical Dermatology. Although the lecture was given in Japanese for one and a half hours, here I summarize the outline of these diseases and their medical treatment in English with the hope that you can have a better understanding on these diseases.

Palmoplantar pustulosis has been regarded as an incurable disease characterized by pustular eruptions on the palms and soles of the feet, and extrapalmoplantarily on the backs of the hands and insteps of the feet. In the United States, pulmaplanta pustulosis are included in the category of psoriasis. But in other countries, the skin rashes are strictly classified with the shape, form, size and region to break out. In many cases, the skin rashes are merely transformed by the conditions of skin and the regions to break out. If the skin rashes occur only on the thick skin areas, palms and soles of the feet, they may be called as palmoplantar pustulosis. If the rashes occur and develop on the thinner skin areas such as body and extremities, they may be called as psoriasis, or pustular psoriasis, even if the initiators and promoters to cause them are the same. Then the psoriasis-like rashes on the extrapalmoplantar areas are a subtype of pustular eruptions. This disease frequently accompanies various complications such as bone lesions, diabetes mellitus, IgA nephropathy, chronic thyroiditis and intestinal disorders. The incidence of the bone lesions is 100%, although the patient did not complain any pain. The main clinical symptoms of the bone lesions are severe chest pain extending to involve limited motion of the arms and shoulders. Also, severe backache and lumbago occur. In such a case, the disease is called as sternocostoclavicular hyperostosis. Then palmoplantar pstulosis may be regarded as a mild form of sternocostoclavicular hyperostosis and is not merely a skin disease but rather must be considered as one of the systemic diseases.

The incidence of the disease was one out of 500 persons at three institutions, respectively, which were located more than 350 km apart each other. The cause to break out this disease remained unknown, although local infection such as an inflammation of the tonsils or carious teeth, allergy derived from dental alloys or genetic abnormality had been proposed. This disease tends to aggravate despite various treatments with corticosteroids, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, antibiotics, vitamin D, retinoid, immunodepressant drugs, PUVA radiation and/or partial resection of the affected bones for alleviation of severe chest pain, but all of these trials were without any relief and produced undesirable side effects.

Clinical characteristics

There are two major clinical characteristics in patients with palmoplantar pustulosis. One of them is many rice grain-sized sterile eruptions that develop on the palms and soles of the feet with epidermal thickening and immunoglobulin A (IgA) deposition in the surrounding areas of the eruptions. The other is pains over the sternum and clavicles, upper ribs and their joints, resulting in shrugging the shoulders like V-shaped or coat-hanger shoulder with ankylosis of the joints. Spurs and osteophytes are formed on the vertebrae. In advanced cases, the bone lesions rapidly worsen, irrespective of the severity of the eruptions on the palms and soles. Also, there is an intensive accumulation of isotope tracer on bone scintigrams, which are suggestive of ankylosing spondylitis. Mandiular sclerosis is observed in all patients.

The disease frequently runs in families, but it is not associated with any specific HLA antigen. The possible correlation between smoking habits and the occurrence of palmoplantar pustulosis and high prevalence of smoking habits were found in the patients. Smoking worsens the morbidity and markedly lessens the therapeutic effect of biotin, because it remarkably reduces serum biotin concentration and has a bad influence on the immune system.

Biochemical, metabolic and immune characteristics

The patients had metabolic abnormalities and subsequent immune dysfunction as a result of biotin deficiency. Biotin plays an important role as a coenzyme of various enzymes related to the metabolism of glucose, fatty acids and branched-chain amino acids. Thus, its deficiency causes serious metabolic abnormalities and adversely affects immune function. In fact, low serum biotin concentration, impaired glucose metabolism, reduced serum levels of fatty acids and abnormal composition of serum amino acids were observed in the patients. Other features of the patients include increased serum levels of α2-globulin and β-globulin, an increased IgA level ,a marked increase of helper T lymphocytes, reduced numbers of suppressor T lymphocytes. ( These indicate abnormalities of immune function.) Also, an inverse correlation between helper T cells/suppressor T cells and serum biotin concentration was observed.

(This means that biotin deficiency is implicated in the occurrence of immune dysfunction.) In cases with severe bone lesions, there occurred an increase of Th1/Th2 in T lymphocytes.

In accordance with the concept, rats fed on a biotin-deficient diet showed similar skin and bone disorders, metabolic abnormalities and immune dysfunction. These findings suggested the possible therapeutic efficacy of biotin to the patients.

Treatment

As mentioned above, various treatments regimes had been proposed. Corticosteroid ointments are able to relieve transiently pustular eruptions, but fail to cause clinical, metabolic and immune improvement. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs are of no effect ot correct the eruptions, although the patients might be temporally free of the chest pain or backache. Their long-use may be associated with rapidly developing arthropathy, because occurrence of immune dysfunction and inhibition of the synthesis of prostaglandins relating to bone remodeling. Antibiotics administration had been reported to be beneficial in the therapy of the eruptions in the patients, but the eruptions relapsed in a short time, even though the administration was continued. Other treatment regimes rapidly cause serious side effects. Also, the therapeutic effectiveness of these agents to the bone lesions could not be confirmed. Other trials rapidly cause serious side effects.

Oral administration of biotin to the patients alleviates chest pain after 1~2 weeks and almost eliminated within 4 weeks. Abnormal bone shadows on radiographs shows normal figures after 2 to 3 year's administration, if the bone damages are not advanced. Pustular eruptions disappear usually on the palms after 3 to 4 months and on the soles after 5 to 7 months. All of the biochemical and metabolic abnormalities were corrected soon. Immune dysfunction normalizes within 2 years. Complications, such as diabetes mellitus and IgA nephropathy, were also improved in a short time.

In the patients, frequent episodes of severe constipation or diarrhea were observed prior to the occurrence of the disease. Serum biotin concentration remained to be low and unchanged even after oral administration of the vitamin. Since biotin is mainly produced by microflora in the intestine and absorbed from the intestine into the circulation. It is, therefore, suggested that biotin deficiency may be attributable to the proliferation of œharmful microflora in the intestine to digest or to degrade the vitamin. However, supplementary administration of a probiotic agent, Clostridium butyricum Miyairii, to the biotin treatment significantly increased serum biotin concentration and maintained the concentration high enough to improve clinical manifestations and other disorders including complications, because the probiotic agent prevents the proliferation of the harmful microflora in the intestine and intensifies the therapeutic action of the vitamin with no evidence of hematological, renal and hepatic toxicity. Supplementation of other probiotic agents such as Lactobacillus showed poor therapeutic effectiveness to the biotin treatment, because the agents require much biotin for their proliferation. Addition of antibiotics to the biotin treatment significantly increased serum biotin concentration with a faster onset of clinical improvement. However, the beneficial response to the treatment was not long-standing. Serum biotin concentration again decreased to the basal level despite continued treatment, and therapeutic effectiveness wore off; presumably by not only inhibiting the development of œuseful microflora to synthesize biotin but also promoting the proliferation of antibiotic-resistant œharmful microflora, resulting in poor therapeutic benefit.

Biotin administration produced no undesirable side effects

Conclusion

Patients with palmoplantar pustulosis had metabolic derangements of glucose and fatty acids as well as immune dysfunction derived from biotin deficiency, which led to abnormal manifestations of skin, bone and other tissues and organs. All of the clinical, metabolic and immune disorders were improved by biotin administration. These findings indicate that biotin deficiency was implicated in the outbreak and exacerbation of the disease and its complications. Supplementary addition of a probiotic agent to the biotin treatment intensified the therapeutic effect of the vitamin. Additionally, patients with psoriasis vulgaris, systemic erythematosus, atopic dermatitis or rheumatoid arthritis also had biotin deficiency with the subsequent metabolic abnormalities and immune dysfunction, and so the biotin treatment provided beneficial effects in the therapy of the diseases, as in the case of palmoplantar pustulosis.
« Last Edit: Sunday December 05, 2004, 12:25:42 AM by Tom1 »

Offline Tom1

• Registered member
« Reply #6 on: Saturday December 04, 2004, 10:06:44 PM »
Also read the following found at http://www3.ocn.ne.jp/~hpps/english/english.html

Dr. Maebashi is an excellent physician authorized by the Japanese Society of Internal Medicine. Also, he is a famous researcher to study the pathogenesis and the treatment of various diseases, such as hypertension, atherosclerosis, metabolic abnormalities and immune dysfunctions.

All of his studies have academic originalities and are applied to the treatment of patients. Some of his studies are published in the Nature and Lancet.

In 1998, the Japanese society of Internal Medicine highly evaluated his study on palmoplantar pustulosis and its related diseases as one of the most excellent investigations in Japan. The Society also recommended his another study on dementia as the most representative one.

Palmoplantar pustulosis is a systemic disease, and not a skin disease.

Palmoplantar pustulosis is not merely a skin disease but a systemic disorder with frequent complications of bone lesions, diabetes mellitus, IgA nephropathy or Crohn's disease. Especially, bone lesions are complicated in most patients. Therefore, the pustular eruptions on the skin may be regarded as one of the characteristic symptoms.

In the United States, palmoplantar pustulosis has been considered as a disease entity and had been categorized as a subtype or a variant form of psoriasis vulgaris or rheumatoid arthritis.

The cause of the disease remained unknown, although local infection such as inflammation of the tonsils, genetic abnormality, metabolic disturbance or immune dysfunction had been proposed. The disease tended to aggravate despite various treatments.
Dr. Maebashi explains intelligibly about the disease for more than one hour and then makes reply thoroughly to various questions from the patients after medical examinations.

When Dr. Maebashi studied the disease at the Medical School of Tohoku University, he developed the treatment for it. The treatment is a combination of oral administration of biotin and external therapy with corticosteroid ointment, because the concentration of the steroid applied to the skin lesions is diluted as symptoms get well and finally it will not be used anymore. The treatment is now highly evaluated and authorized by the Japanese Society of Internal Medicine.

Dr. Maebashi had treated 558 patients in all until May 31, 2001. The treatment also achieved a favorable therapeutic effect on diseases caused by immune dysfunctions, such as psoriasis vulgaris, atopic dermatitis, rheumatoid arthritis, erythematodes, scleroderma, Sheehan's disease, IgA nephropathy and Crohn's disease.

Immune dysfunction and biotin deficiency

Palmoplantar pustulosis is a disease causes by deposition of immunglobulin A on the palms and the soles of feet. If immunoglobulinA deposits on the periostiums, the disease accompanies bone lesions as sternocostoculavicular hyperostosis.

Biotin is a kind of vitamin B group and plays an essential role in the metabolic reactions of glucose, fatty acids, amino acids and nucleic acids and in the subsequent regulation of immune system. Biotin deficiency, therefore, causes metabolic abnormalities with a subsequent reduction of T lymphocyte-mediated suppressor activity. As a result, there occur excessive amounts of immunoglobulinA deposits on the skin tissues and the periostiums, inducing the disease. The treatment with biotin corrected all of these metabolic abnormalities and subsequent immune dysfunction, resulting in complete improvement of the disease.

Thus it is possible to say that biotin deficiency may be responsible for these abnormalities in which immune dysfunction is implicated in the occurrence of the disease.

Biotin and intestinal microflora

There are 100 trillions in number and 300 kinds of bacteria living in the intestine. These bacteria are named as intestinal microflora. They proliferate by taking nutrient from food and intestinal juice secreted from the intestine, and then excreted with feces.
Intestinal microflora is transmitted to a baby from its mother at birth, so the spectrum of the microflora of the baby is at first similar to that of the mother. The spectrum, however, is easily affected by the contents of meals. Intestinal microflora produces many kinds of vitamins including biotin, which are absorbed from the intestine into the circulation where they are utilized metabolically and physiologically. Thus, the deficiency of vitamins, in general, except vitamin C does not occur.

At this stage, there is something that we have to know about biotin. Biotin is contained in various foods, but the vitamin in foods is bound to protein. So it cannot be absorbed from the intestine.

Since biotin produced by intestinal microflora is free-typed and not bound-typed, it can be absorbed easily from the intestine and be used. If there are some disturbances in the production or absorption of free-typed biotin, biotin deficiency will occur.

Biotin deficiency may occur as follows.
1.   Persistent diarrhea
2.   Long-term use of antibiotics
3.   Frequent intake of greasy food
4.   Extensive resection of the intestine
5.   Proliferation of ˜harmful' microflora in the intestine
6.   Long-term parenteral nutrition
7.   Long-term use of antiepileptic drug

Palmoplantar pustulosis and ˜harmful' intestinal microflora

The patients with palmoplantar pustulosis have frequent episodes of severe constipation or persistent diarrhea before the occurrence of the disease with susceptibility to the presence of ˜harmful' intestinal microflora. Thus, biotin deficiency would occur when the ingestion or the degradation of the vitamin by proliferated ˜harmful' microflora in the intestine impairs absorption of biotin from the intestine. It is, therefore, suggested that biotin-limited conditions produced by ˜harmful' intestinal microflora in patients with palmoplantar pustulosis plays a causal role in the occurrence of the disease.

According to the study on the intestinal microflora by Dr. Maebashi, Lactobacilli including L. bifidus are one of the bacteria to ingest much biotin in order to proliferate. Dr. Maebashi also shows that these bacilli are considered to cause biotin deficiency, because a large amount of these bacilli are found in the stool of patients with palmoplantar pustulosis.

Hitherto, Lactobacilli are considered to be ˜useful' microflora, which produce lactic acid to suppress the proliferation of ˜harmful' ones. Hence, it is also used as one of medicines for intestinal disorders, but they accelerate, rather than suppress, biotin deficiency.
In the treatment palmoplantar pustulosis devised by Dr. Maebashi, he uses activated Clostridium butyricum as a probiotic agent as an effective remedy for intestinal disorders, because this agent does not degrade nor ingest biotin to suppress ˜harmful' microflora including Lactobacilli.

Yogurt and lactic acid drinks had been thought to be healthful foods to proliferate ˜useful' microflora in the intestine. But they are almost of no use, because bactera in food and drinks are destroyed by the strong hydrochloric acid in the gastric juice, when they pass the stomach. Even if, some bacteria could reach the intestine, they would be excreted rapidly with feces. However, it must be emphasized that, as these foods contain much protein and calcium to produce skeletal tissues, they are useful to prevent osteoporosis.

Is the tonsils implicated in the occurrence of palmoplantar pustulosis?

It had been thought that the tonsils were implicated in the occurrence of palmoplantar pustulosis. In fact, there were some reports in which the pustular eruptions were temporarily relieved after operative removal of the tonsils. But there was no critical information to verify the causal role of the tonsils to be associated with the initiation and the severity of the disease.
It seems likely that postoperative administration of antibiotics prevents the proliferation of ˜harmful' intestinal microflora to degrade or to ingest biotin which is produced by ˜useful' bacteria in the intestine.

The pustular eruptions in the postoperative patients relapsed in a short time and the disease became more exacerbated and exaggerated with subsequent development of bone lesions, because of the proliferation of antibiotics-resistant bacteria among the intestinal microflora.

Dental treatments such as extraction of carious teeth of crown restoration had been also tried for the therapy of palmoplantar pustulosis, but failed to prevent to become the disease worse. All of these treatments cannot provide benefit on metabolic abnormalities and immune dysfunction occurring in the patients.

Smoking and palmoplantar pustulosis

The strong evidence for smoking habits to the occurrence and the prognosis of palmoplantar pustulosis had been shown by Dr. Maebashi.

About 90% of all of patients with palmoplantar pustulosis have been precipitated by smoking. Especially smoking seems to be more important for initiating the disease in women. The study also has shown a threefold risk of the disease in smokers.
Serum biotin levels in patients with palmoplantar pustulosis were significantly low as compared with those in healthy subjects. Smoking decreased the biotin levels more remarkably in the patients and made the disease worse, because one cigarette smoking reduced the biotin levels to a half on non-smoking conditions and exerted harmful influences upon some factor or cluster of factors to be related to immune system and metabolism.

Stopping smoking habits are of benefit to the therapeutic effect of biotin and the occurrence as well as the prognosis of palmoplantar pustulosis

My challenge to overcome palmoplantar pustulosis

In the early autumn of 1955, on the rehearsal of the annual exhibition of my dancing team, I noticed pustular eruptions on the right palm. I visited my family doctor, who handed me an ointment with no information about the eruptions. This is the prologue of my challenge to overcome palmoplantar pustulosis.

The eruptions developed on the left palm and the soles of feet. At that time, I thought it to be easily curable when the exhibition was over, because all doctors I visited attributed the eruptions to be mental and physical stresses for the exhibition. However, the eruptions worsened more and more, even after the exhibition was over.

Several doctors told me that the eruptions was due to the inflammation of the tonsils or due to mental allergy of crowned teeth, and then urged me to receive the treatments without any benefit.

After a while, I was attacked with severe pain on the neck, anterior chest and back, and could not move at all, without any therapeutic benefit. All of the doctors I visited told me that the cause of the disease was unclear and that there was no treatment for it. Furthermore, they added to say that you should get on well with the disease as long as you lived.

I was always afraid whether the bizarre eruptions on the palms, severe pain on the palms and backache were found out by my pupils and others, and lost myself with great anxiety that I could not dance anymore. Then, I decided to pull down the curtain of my life because of severe pain, distress, anxiety and disappointment in the future. Finally I told frankly about my disease to the pupils and informed them of the break-up of the dancing team with meaning of my farewell.

At that time, on of the pupils showed me a newspaper in which I saw that Dr. Maebashi in National Akita Hospital near my house had been treating palmoplantar pustulosis. Soon I visited Dr. Maebashi.

Dr. Maebashi diagnosed my disease as sternocostoclavicular hypereosotosis characterized by pistular eruptions on the palms and the soles of feet and severe pain of the chest and back due to bone damages, and gently told me that you did not worry about the disease, because the disease was completely curable. The moment I heard him, my life was lighted up and cried and cried for joy.
The disease was cured rapidly by the treatment and encouragement by Dr. Maebashi, I recovered my splendid life and could dance again with pleasure. Also, two friends of mine are now enjoying their life with the treatment by Dr. Maebashi., although they had been troubled with the same disease.

I requested frequently the directors of the TV programs on health to send my messages to the patients to whom the ˜famous' counselors on the programs always told that there was no treatment for it and that you should try to get well with the disease for long life. My message to the patients was that your disease was curable and that Dr. Maebashi would treat you. But to my regret, my message did not reach the patients.

Fortunately, thanks to Dr. Maebashi, I have been taken a favorable turn from the ˜incurable' disease. So I heartily wish to ring the ending bell for my challenge to overcome the disease when all of the patients are relieved by treatment by Dr. Maebashi.

« Last Edit: Sunday December 05, 2004, 12:26:09 AM by Tom1 »

Offline Tom1

• Registered member
« Reply #7 on: Saturday December 04, 2004, 10:08:38 PM »
From http://www.miyarisan.com/english_index.htm

Clostridium butyricum MIYAIRI 588 strain has been used as a probiotic for both non-antimicrobial induced diarrhea and antimicrobial associated diarrhea in humans.

Clostridium butyricum MIYAIRI (CBM) was discovered from feces by Dr. Miyairi in 1933.CBM inhibit to putrefying bacteria and increase to beneficial bacteria (especially bifidobacteria and lactobacilli). Since their first commercial production in 1940, probiotics based on CBM have been widely used as ethical and OTC drugs, veterinary drugs, feed and food supplements.

Origin or History of Development

Clostridium butyricum MIYAIRI (known as CBM) is a number of C.butyricum, a butyric acid producing spore forming obligate anaerobe, which found in soil and the intestine in humans and animals. It was discovered by Dr. Miyairi in 1933 at the department of Hygiene at Chiba Medical College (now located at the Chiba University School of Medicine).

The mechanism by which CBM controls diarrhea is based on several properties of CBM. For example,CBM has been shown to have antagonistic interaction against Candida albicans, Clostridium difficile , enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli, Klebsiella spp., Salmonella spp. and Vibrio spp.

In addition, butyric acid has a proliferative effect on mucosal cells in the intestine, suggesting that, butyric acid has therapeutic efficiency against inflammatory bowel disease.
« Last Edit: Sunday December 05, 2004, 12:26:28 AM by Tom1 »

Offline Tom1

• Registered member
« Reply #8 on: Saturday December 04, 2004, 10:09:34 PM »
From http://www.juvenon.com/jhj/vol3no10.htm

Smoking has been demonstrated to inactivate several important vitamins, including vitamins E, C and biotin in the blood of smokers.  Lipoic acid, one of the more potent cellular antioxidants, helps protect these substances from the deleterious vitamin-destructive effects of the cigarette smoking. The chemical properties of lipoic acid make it a more attractive target, thus sparing the vitamins from attack.

Although most foods contain biotin, it is reasonable to take supplemental biotin under the conditions described. The vitamin is well tolerated even at doses several hundred times the recommended daily intake.
« Last Edit: Sunday December 05, 2004, 12:26:55 AM by Tom1 »

Offline Tom1

• Registered member
« Reply #9 on: Saturday December 04, 2004, 10:10:36 PM »
Smoking accelerates biotin catabolism in women.

Am J Clin Nutr. 2004 Oct;80(4):932-5.    
Sealey WM, Teague AM, Stratton SL, Mock DM.
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, USA.

BACKGROUND: Smoking accelerates the degradation of many nutrients, including lipids, antioxidants, and certain B vitamins. Accelerated biotin catabolism is of concern in women because marginal biotin deficiency is teratogenic in mammals.

OBJECTIVE: The objective was to assess the effect of smoking on the biotin status of women.

DESIGN: A preliminary study of 7 women and 3 men examined the urinary concentrations of biotin and its metabolites biotin sulfoxide and bisnorbiotin in smokers. The interpretation of the results of this study was limited by the lack of a contemporaneous control group; consequently, we conducted a cohort-controlled study. Smoking women (n = 8) and nonsmoking control subjects (n = 15) provided 24-h urine samples; excretion rates of biotin, the biotin metabolites, and 3-hydroxyisovaleric acid were determined. Increased urinary excretion of 3-hydroxyisovaleric acid, which reflects a reduced activity of the biotin-dependent enzyme 3-methylcrotonyl-Co A carboxylase, is a sensitive indicator of biotin depletion at the tissue level.

RESULTS: Compared with control subjects from previous studies, the smoking women in the preliminary study excreted significantly less urinary biotin (P = 0.02). Moreover, the ratio of urinary biotin sulfoxide to biotin increased (P = 0.04) in these women. In the cohort-controlled study, the urinary excretion of biotin decreased by 30% (P = 0.04), and the ratios of urinary bisnorbiotin and biotin sulfoxide to biotin increased significantly, which indicated accelerated catabolism in smokers. Moreover, the urinary excretion of 3-hydroxyisovaleric acid was greater in the smokers than in the control subjects (P = 0.04), which indicated biotin depletion in the smokers at the tissue level.

CONCLUSION: These data provide evidence of accelerated biotin metabolism in smoking women, which results in marginal biotin deficiency.

Offline Tom1

• Registered member
« Reply #10 on: Sunday December 05, 2004, 12:21:09 AM »
I think it would be useful if those that have Palmoplantar (Hands and Feet) Pustular Psoriasis (PPP) get some test performed to see if they are Biotin deficient.

Without the Miya-BM,  I suppose it couldn't hurt to try extra Biotin _at_ 5000mcg, 5 times per day for a few weeks to see if it helps.

If you smoke, do your best to quit smoking or reduce the number of cigarettes during Biotin supplementation.

Offline floridian

« Reply #11 on: Tuesday December 07, 2004, 06:15:52 PM »
Anyone getting results from biotin???

Bump.